What Are My Chances and Other General Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that might be the case. What schools with lower stats would you recommend for someone from CA? And if I add 5 more, which schools should go off my list?

I don't think you NEED the DO schools if you have a 30+ MCAT with that GPA. I"m assuming that's not what you are mainly interested in, because then you would be applying only to DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I am trying to get a feel for my chances at the schools on my list, now that I finally have an MCAT score to work with.
My info: http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8205

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to have a look. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Background: 25, post-bac student. Graduated from UC Davis with a sociology major, did well in major classes but poorly in my pre-med courses. Graduated with a 2.98 (yikes!)

Now: completing my second year of a post-bac at a CA state school. GPA for the four full-time semesters I've been here (all upper div chem and bio):
Fall 06: 3.5
Spring 07: 2.8 (ugh)
Fall 07: 3.8
Spring 08: between a 3.7 and 4.0

MCAT: took August 07, got a 28Q (V10, PS9, BS9); retaking July 18 and I'm confident I can do better given my improved study techniques.

Qualitative: lots of ECs, executive member of a free clinic, health educator at this clinic as well, president of a club that received awards on campus, HIV test counselor, student government official, great LoRs...

Bottom line: given my enormous number of credits, it's nearly impossible to make my GPA in the 3.6-3.7 range. How much do adcoms care about the overall versus the most recent trends? (1-2 years)

Now for some hardcore speculation:
1. Let's say I score well on the MCAT (somewhere in the 33-35 range).. would applying to MD schools be a waste of time? Long shot? Doable?

2. If the answer to #1 is "waste of time", would another year as a post bac at a state school "look bad" as long as I pull sweet grades and remain involved in the community?

Thanks in advance... and be nice, I think this is my first SDN post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Background: 25, post-bac student. Graduated from UC Davis with a sociology major, did well in major classes but poorly in my pre-med courses. Graduated with a 2.98 (yikes!)

Now: completing my second year of a post-bac at a CA state school. GPA for the four full-time semesters I've been here (all upper div chem and bio):
Fall 06: 3.5
Spring 07: 2.8 (ugh)
Fall 07: 3.8
Spring 08: between a 3.7 and 4.0

MCAT: took August 07, got a 28Q (V10, PS9, BS9); retaking July 18 and I'm confident I can do better given my improved study techniques.

Qualitative: lots of ECs, executive member of a free clinic, health educator at this clinic as well, president of a club that received awards on campus, HIV test counselor, student government official, great LoRs...

Bottom line: given my enormous number of credits, it's nearly impossible to make my GPA in the 3.6-3.7 range. How much do adcoms care about the overall versus the most recent trends? (1-2 years)

Now for some hardcore speculation:
1. Let's say I score well on the MCAT (somewhere in the 33-35 range).. would applying to MD schools be a waste of time? Long shot? Doable?

2. If the answer to #1 is "waste of time", would another year as a post bac at a state school "look bad" as long as I pull sweet grades and remain involved in the community?

Thanks in advance... and be nice, I think this is my first SDN post.

1) A low 3.0 Gpa and a 33 probably wont make you competitive
2) it couldnt hurt, but I would consider DO schools first...I think you would snatch a couple of acceptances there.

Hah I don't believe in this thread but I'm a bit bored so here it goes...

*Non-traditional
*I'm 22 w/ 2-3 years of work experience as a flight instructor for students 16-75 years old. 7 months as a first officer at a regional airline... lol talk about non-traditional
* 3.8 overall GPA including my BS and post-grad work - about 160 semester credits total, 4.0 BCPM (I've got about 30-35 credit hours under BCPM at the moment but I've got a couple classes to take - I dont think it'll fall below 3.9-3.95 at the very worst)
* Volunteer work at a hospital w/ patient interaction - ever since I was in high school - most of it isnt current but that's stepping up here over the next couple months
*6-12 months clinical experience (each) with 2 doctors - general practice and radiologist
* I took a CNA program and completed that (didn't go to the clinicals though) w/ a 4.0.
*Diverse interests - water sports, I play in a band, guns :cool: blah blah blah...
* I'm planning on taking the MCATs by fall - hoping to get mid 30s first time.

My goal's to get into ANY public school for an MD in FL. Any similar non-traditionals? Any tips?

I think you've got a good chance that your most recent courses will outweigh your undergrad work. Always have a good explanation of what you did to improve your grades and what you learned.

*Non-traditional
*I'm 22 w/ 2-3 years of work experience as a flight instructor for students 16-75 years old. 7 months as a first officer at a regional airline... lol talk about non-traditional
* 3.8 overall GPA including my BS and post-grad work - about 160 semester credits total, 4.0 BCPM (I've got about 30-35 credit hours under BCPM at the moment but I've got a couple classes to take - I dont think it'll fall below 3.9-3.95 at the very worst)
* Volunteer work at a hospital w/ patient interaction - ever since I was in high school - most of it isnt current but that's stepping up here over the next couple months
*6-12 months clinical experience (each) with 2 doctors - general practice and radiologist
* I took a CNA program and completed that (didn't go to the clinicals though) w/ a 4.0.
*Diverse interests - water sports, I play in a band, guns :cool: blah blah blah...

My goal's to get into ANY public school for an MD in FL. Any similar non-traditionals? Any tips?

How are you non-traditional?

can someone please advise me on what i should do to get acceptance into US med school. I am graduating this year and will finish with probably a 3.15gpa cum and 3.0 in sci and i just received my mcat score with a 34Q. i will be considered disadvantaged on AMCAS because i do receive financial aid, and qualified for the Fee assistance program. I am applying to US med schools because i can do it for free this year. I also have applied for the NYMC accelerated SMP but no others. I have 2 years of research in with poster presentation and a possible publication.
so any suggestions with if i have a chance with or without the SMP and which i schools i should use my fee waiver with would be welcomed, I also don't mind where i go to school

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knew a good place to get current med school students' opinions about their schools. I think is probably the most important factor in deciding where to apply and I am not really sure where to look. Or has anyone heard anything from friends at a school? Any help you can give would be great. Thanks! ;)

*Non-traditional

ur stats r good and u have some really cool, unique experiences. u sound like u have great odds

Bibbed, Thanks for the reply. My GPA isn't a thing of beauty, but it's not bad - I haven't calculated it yet (I'm a post-bacc). I probably will only have a 3.5, but there's been a nice upward trend which I'm hoping will bode well for me. My extra-currics and letters of rec are pretty hard to beat, so I think I'll just go for it. In reality, if I retook the exam, the distribution might be better, but the overall score might not improve significantly. The torture is not worth a couple extra points. I was a bio major too, so at least there's some sense to the madness. Ironically, the distribution pretty accurately reflects my personal feelings about each subject -;-). It was meant to be.

of my situation.

i just joined the studentdoctor network today! i have heard a lot about it and am excited!

anyway...

so i am a junior at a private liberal arts school in MA. i switched my major a little over a year ago to biotechnology and decided i want to go to medical school. i have been really happy w/ that decision, it's just difficult because all of my electives, writing designated courses, etc are done...all i have left are my med school pre-reqs and my biotech courses, which combine for a tough load. this is also weird for me to share, but i really want to know what you guys think in terms of my path to med school...im in a parent program at my school. i have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who lives w/ me on campus year round. it's a very unique program where the school offers a ton of help to us so that we can attend college. anyway...this is what i have so far...keep in mind i dont take my MCATs for another year (next spring/summer), and i havent taken organic or physics yet (this fall i will begin them).

my gpa is a 3.8
i volunteer at the local hospital
i started my school's biotech club and am president
im a member of both the honors program and the national honors society
tutor in the writing center and in science classes
ive done an independent study in placebo research w/ asthma at mass general (just finished it this sem)
participate in comm service activites (walks, volunteer at the Y, etc)

basically im nervous because the "pre-med" program at my college is brand new...this is its second official year. nobody has ever graduated from my college and attended med school because the pre reqs were never offered. we have a fantastic nursing program, just never had a pre med program. im hoping that if i do really well on the MCAT that it wont matter where i came from, so to speak, because im taking the same standardized test as everyone else. im also a little nervous about what med schools will think about me having gone through a single parent program. i dont know if they would think that is an honorable thing, or that it won't really be in my favor.

i am just looking for ideas/opinions. i only have one friend who is pre-dental, the rest of my friends are ed majors, business majors, etc. and have no idea what i go through on a daily basis...hopefully i will meet some people here! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
ChubbyChaser + abarabas: thanks for the input.

I'd consider a DO school but I'm not sold on the idea of being a DO. I mean no disrespect to those who choose that route but already having explained what a DO is and is allowed to do about 500 times, I'm not entirely sure I want to spend my working life doing the same.

Time to hit the books and make this a 4.0 semester. I've applied to a few SMPs (no word back yet). If I'm accepted and can figure out how to pay for one of those program, I figure that I'll be in a good spot next time around if this year's application cycle doesn't work out.

ChubbyChaser + abarabas: thanks for the input.

I'd consider a DO school but I'm not sold on the idea of being a DO. I mean no disrespect to those who choose that route but already having explained what a DO is and is allowed to do about 500 times, I'm not entirely sure I want to spend my working life doing the same.

Time to hit the books and make this a 4.0 semester. I've applied to a few SMPs (no word back yet). If I'm accepted and can figure out how to pay for one of those program, I figure that I'll be in a good spot next time around if this year's application cycle doesn't work out.

Your most current GPA isn't too shabby at all though... make up for it in other areas like shadowing/volunteering. If you have trouble getting into the schools of your choice, consider the caribbean - St. George's... beautiful campus on a beautiful island.

Your most current GPA isn't too shabby at all though... make up for it in other areas like shadowing/volunteering. If you have trouble getting into the schools of your choice, consider the caribbean - St. George's... beautiful campus on a beautiful island.

I appreciate the thought, but I'm doing what I can to avoid that route. We'll see what happens...

Have to come up with a list of schools soon and i'm nervous!

I just got my MCAT scores and I got a 35S

Science GPA: 3.62
Cumulative: 3.71

EC's: editor of research magazine, volunteer at retirement center, have done research for past summer, school year(working towards manuscript very soon!), and current summer to come, volunteer at local clinic

The schools i'm interested in are:

NYU
Mount Sinai
Tufts
BU
RWJMS
Cornell
Columbia
UPENN
Jefferson
Duke
Emory
Northwestern
Drexel
NJMS
NYMC

SO, the ultimate question: what are my chances? i've left out the harvards and hopkins..b/c let's face it..haha :p

Thanks guys!

Have to come up with a list of schools soon and i'm nervous!

I just got my MCAT scores and I got a 35S

Science GPA: 3.62
Cumulative: 3.71

EC's: editor of research magazine, volunteer at retirement center, have done research for past summer, school year(working towards manuscript very soon!), and current summer to come, volunteer at local clinic

The schools i'm interested in are:

NYU
Mount Sinai
Tufts
BU
RWJMS
Cornell
Columbia
UPENN
Jefferson
Duke
Emory
Northwestern
Drexel
NJMS
NYMC

SO, the ultimate question: what are my chances? i've left out the harvards and hopkins..b/c let's face it..haha :p

Thanks guys!

wow, 8 of your schools are schools i am interested in...

Thank you all for helping us out and just critiquing our premed lives. :laugh:

if anyone could just take a look at my MDApps and let me know what you think my chances are for the list of schools I put up there, i would be very very grateful

Your scores look good. You will surely get an interview in many schools. BUT what will set you apart from many other applicants is your research experience, leadership skills, and personality. It seems like you have that going for you as well. Good luck!

Oh, and please don't forget to apply to the Harvards, Hopkins, and UCSF. It can't hurt. :)

Hi Folks,

I am getting ready to apply this cycle with a 3.61 Overall + 3.75 BCPM. I am a Sociology major with a minor in Chemistry. My GPA reflects one bad semester in community college during high school which, if removed, would shoot my GPA into 3.9's.

MCAT:
I purchased several of the AAMC practice tests and have been scoring consistent 33's, (11, 11, 11) but I have a month left to go before my real MCAT. I hope to move up to the solid 35 range.

Research / EC's:
I have been doing laboratory research for over a year in two disciplines (Cancer Research/Biochemistry and Developmental Psychology) leading to a publication along with a great deal of other EC's (student government, club leadership, full-time employment/manager, volunteering, etc...) I also completed a senior research thesis regarding a major public health issue.

LORs:
I have 5 fantastic professors writing letters of recommendations (professors from: Biology, Chemistry, Genetics, Psychology, and a Research Advisor) However, I have just found out that my pre-health committee service writes letters in batches based on when you take the MCAT. My committee letter is not going to be available until mid-September at the earliest. What do I do? I realize that not using the committee will likely send up red flags, but I can't imagine waiting until mid-September to complete secondaries-- it seems like a certain way to miss out on acceptances. Since I am so confident in my recommenders, would it be safe to go with a service like Interfolio and add an explanation as to why I won't be able to provide a committee letter?

Thanks and Good Luck to everyone this cycle

Hi Folks,

I am getting ready to apply this cycle with a 3.61 Overall + 3.75 BCPM. I am a Sociology major with a minor in Chemistry. My GPA reflects one bad semester in community college during high school which, if removed, would shoot my GPA into 3.9's.

MCAT:
I purchased several of the AAMC practice tests and have been scoring consistent 33's, (11, 11, 11) but I have a month left to go before my real MCAT. I hope to move up to the solid 35 range.

Research / EC's:
I have been doing laboratory research for over a year in two disciplines (Cancer Research/Biochemistry and Developmental Psychology) leading to a publication along with a great deal of other EC's (student government, club leadership, full-time employment/manager, volunteering, etc...) I also completed a senior research thesis regarding a major public health issue.

LORs:
I have 5 fantastic professors writing letters of recommendations (professors from: Biology, Chemistry, Genetics, Psychology, and a Research Advisor) However, I have just found out that my pre-health committee service writes letters in batches based on when you take the MCAT. My committee letter is not going to be available until mid-September at the earliest. What do I do? I realize that not using the committee will likely send up red flags, but I can't imagine waiting until mid-September to complete secondaries-- it seems like a certain way to miss out on acceptances. Since I am so confident in my recommenders, would it be safe to go with a service like Interfolio and add an explanation as to why I won't be able to provide a committee letter?

Thanks and Good Luck to everyone this cycle
OK I would complain to your committe....september is freaking late , they are screwing you royally

MCAT: 34R
GPA: 3.89 Biochem
Large State School
1.5 yrs Research
Some Volunteer Work(nothing special)

The two schools I really like are Yale and Stanford. Do I have a shot at either one or should I not even waste my $ ? Thanks

AMCAS open up tomorrow so i thought its best that i compile a list of all the schools im gonna apply to. About me: CA resident(fubar), East Asian (double fubar), GPA 3.73, MCAT 35 (12, 11, 12), extensive research in basic science (gonna complete my MS in the year off and hopefully get published), volunteer + shadowing, community service and all of that other healthy goodness...heres the list i have thus far:
The numbers just let me keep track of how many schools i have on here, not necessarily my preferences.

1. UCLA
2. UCSD
3. UCI
4. UCD
5. USC
6. Loma Linda
7. Stanford
8. George Washington University
9. NYU
10. BU
11. Tufts
12. University of Chicago
13. Drexel
14. Temple University
15. Georgetown
16. New York Medical College
17. Albert Einstein
18. Mount Sinai
19. Case Western
20. University of Pittsburg
21. Rosalind Franklin
22. Emory
23. SUNY Stony Brook
24. SUNY Buffalo
25. Vanderbilt
26. Wake Forest
27. Thomas Jefferson University
28. Tulane
29. University of Rochester

I know the key here is to apply to a buncha "back-up" schools, but for us poor CA residents its not quite the slam dunk its suppose to be. Any suggestions will be much much appreciated as i searched SDN for all the schools that might be friendly to CA residents and that my stats give me a realistic shot to...what do you guys think? Which ones should i take off? which ones should i tack on?

LETS DO THIS THING!

That almost looks identical to my list except I didn't apply to the SUNY schools. I wish I had applied to OHSU because its close to California. Also, add Harvard, Hopkins, and a couple more reaches because you have very good stats. I also had SLU as a back up and I liked SLU-like I think the key with back ups is to make sure you would actually go there in case things don't work out. Maybe also add Northwestern.

jzyu, your list is fine, just seems a bit long.

Instead of places like GWU, Georgetown, BU, and Tufts that get a buttload of apps, you might look at VCU, EVMS, and SLU as solid backups...with schools like these on your list, you might be able to trim your list down to 20 or so schools...

Ok, I have everything ready to go for the primary, except where I want to apply. Here's the brief rundown, take a look at the MDApps for a fuller explanation.

3.90 GPA
3.81 Sci GPA
31 MCAT - 10, 10, 11
North Carolina Resident

2 full time clinical/shadowing summer internships
1 full time clinical research summer internship
dean's list all semesters
President of 2000 member student org. (probably 25-30 hrs/week)
Student Government - committee freshman year
Teaching Awards Committee
Big Brother Big Sister
YMCA BBall Coach
Eagle Scout

Potential List:

UNC (favorite as its IS, a great school, and LOW tuition)
Duke
Wake Forest
East Carolina
Virginia
VCU
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
UPenn
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Saint Louis
Tulane
Alabama
Boston U

Good? Bad? Any advice to drop some schools or to add some schools? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Your scores look good. You will surely get an interview in many schools. BUT what will set you apart from many other applicants is your research experience, leadership skills, and personality. It seems like you have that going for you as well. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! It's weird to explain my research experience b/c I get in the realm of..well then why am I not doing a phD then? sighh and I don't want to have to present that scenario so that I'd have to answer it possibly.

Ok,
GPA 3.6 Science 3.5
MCAT 31R
Private university in midwest
Research with poster.
Volunteering overseas and at university hospital
Good LOR's

What are my chances?

Hi i looking to apply to schools and i know my stats are very low but just looking for isight. I have a 3.14 sci and overall gpa with 34Q on the mcat. I have done research for 3 yrs with presentation and maybe a publication next year. Lots of hospital volunteering and shadowing, as well as tutoring children at a local HS. I was planning on doing postbac but i qualify for FAP and i am considered from under-priveleged background. So for those 12 free schools i get any suggestions of where I should apply.

Ok, I have everything ready to go for the primary, except where I want to apply. Here's the brief rundown, take a look at the MDApps for a fuller explanation.

3.90 GPA
3.81 Sci GPA
31 MCAT - 10, 10, 11
North Carolina Resident

2 full time clinical/shadowing summer internships
1 full time clinical research summer internship
dean's list all semesters
President of 2000 member student org. (probably 25-30 hrs/week)
Student Government - committee freshman year
Teaching Awards Committee
Big Brother Big Sister
YMCA BBall Coach
Eagle Scout

Potential List:

UNC (favorite as its IS, a great school, and LOW tuition)
Duke
Wake Forest
East Carolina
Virginia
VCU
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
UPenn
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Saint Louis
Tulane
Alabama
Boston U

Good? Bad? Any advice to drop some schools or to add some schools? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
drop alabama...you wont get in....columbia, pitt, vandy, duke, and penn are reaches so I probably wouldnt apply to all of those...maybe pick 2 or 3.....gt, gw, and BU...seem to be pretty random in there admissions.

Just a lil' question. Are these schools typically considered safeties:

Albany Medical College
Indiana University
New York Medical College
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis University
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate
University of Kentucky
University of Vermont

I'm from CA too, and also trying to decide which schools to apply to. Why can't UCs be our "safeties"?? Sigh...

Anyway, my stats are: 3.8, 36, nothing special in EC's. I'm applying to >30 schools because (1) I don't know my letter writers very well except maybe my PI, and (2) I'm not good at bragging/selling myself/whatever and so (3) I won't have any great interviews. I'll work on these things, but I know that this is going to be a weakness so why not go through a bit of hell to make sure I can get in this year? Also honestly, I don't know enough about these schools to say I definitely will hate having to spend 4 years there, so I really can't rule many out. Okay, so that was just in case anyone says I'm applying to way to many schools, and here are 43? schools, 10 of which I need to get rid of...

(and don't laugh at the fact that I have every freakin top whatever school on there)

*UC Davis
*UC Irvine
*USC
*UCSD
*UCLA
*UCSF
*Stanford
Yale
GWU
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
*Univ of Chicago
*Northwestern
Tulane
Tufts
Boston
*Harvard - duhhh
U of Michigan
St. Louis U
Washington U
Wake Forest
Duke
Creighton
Dartmouth
NYMC
Stony Brook
U at Buffalo
U of Rochester - needs 1.5 years of humanities and 1 year of soc sci??
Albert Einstein
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Case Western
OHSU
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
Jefferson
*UPitt
UPenn
Brown
*Vanderbilt
EVMS
Virginia Commonwealth

* means I actually know enough about the school to say no way in hell I'm taking it off the list :)

Anyway please, if you have input about these schools or want to tell me which 10-ish schools to get rid of, I would really appreciate it!

With a 3.5 GPA, both total and BCPM.

And 33-35MCAT?

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, so I haven't looked into schools. But I'm most likely going to fall in that range. I'm not a special minority (south asian,) so I won't really be eased into ivies.

What are some good schools in my range? Granted I have average LOR's and extracurriculars.

I have 3.75 overall GPA, 3.65 BCMP, and 34 MCAT. I am URM and won a few awards. I did research for a year, but I didn't publish any paper. I have been a vice-president of a club, which I'm very passionate about, for two straight years. I taught a class with another instructor. I shadowed a doctor and volunteered at the hospital for one year, 3 hours a week with intensive patient contact. I worked with autistic kids for a year. That's all I can think of right now.

Everywhere? State schools + some top 20s.

I feel silly posting one of these, but whatever.

So I'm a junior at a highly ranked American university (HYPS .. one of those) and plan on applying at the end of my senior year. I have pretty standard extracurriculars - interesting research, volunteering, leadership, plus some un-medical related stuff, all of which I enjoy and could discuss at length. I got a 40 on the MCAT.

The thing is, I chose to stick with a pretty difficult science major that I probably wasn't entirely suited for, plus I wasn't so focused at the beginning of my college career. The end result = I have a whole slew of B's and B+'s in science courses (+ one B-). My science GPA is probably a 3.2 and my overall is probably a 3.45 ish now. If I 4.0 it senior year, maybe I could raise them to a 3.4-3.5 and a 3.6?

Anyway, I just wanted random internet opinions on where I should be thinking to apply. Should I be worried about getting into my state school (CT)? Could I aim higher? I'm finding it hard to find reference info for the "high MCAT/low GPA" case. Everyone I talk to at school says I'll be "fine", but we don't really compare grades and stats on a specific level, so I don't know if I even meet the standards for "doing fine".

Sorry to be rambly, any opinions appreciated! Thanks!

So I'm a junior at a highly ranked American university (HYPS .. one of those) and plan on applying at the end of my senior year. I have pretty standard extracurriculars - interesting research, volunteering, leadership, plus some un-medical related stuff, all of which I enjoy and could discuss at length. I got a 40 on the MCAT.

The thing is, I chose to stick with a pretty difficult science major that I probably wasn't entirely suited for, plus I wasn't so focused at the beginning of my college career. The end result = I have a whole slew of B's and B+'s in science courses (+ one B-). My science GPA is probably a 3.2 and my overall is probably a 3.45 ish now. If I 4.0 it senior year, maybe I could raise them to a 3.4-3.5 and a 3.6?

Anyway, I just wanted random internet opinions on where I should be thinking to apply. Should I be worried about getting into my state school (CT)? Could I aim higher? I'm finding it hard to find reference info for the "high MCAT/low GPA" case. Everyone I talk to at school says I'll be "fine", but we don't really compare grades and stats on a specific level, so I don't know if I even meet the standards for "doing fine".

It's never good to be cocky, but I don't think you should worry about getting into your state school. Your MCAT will be one of the highest they see that year, and you will be very competitive. Plus, you are in-state and they know that means you will be more likely to attend than OOS. Your premed counselors know best how GPA at your institution is perceived by med schools, so talking to them is a good idea. Also "standard" extracurriculars vary from undergrad to undergrad, I go to a similar school and I am starting to realize that my extracurriculars may be normal here but are above average for premeds at other schools. Apply wherever you would be comfortable going and don't feel like you have to cut back on reaches--just apply broadly to a lot of schools that run the gamut between Harvard and your state school.

I have a list of 18 schools that I'm applying to. I think that's waaayy too many so I really need help narrowing them down. I'll have a BS in bio (finished early in 3 yrs) with a 3.63 cumulative and 3.58 science applying. most of these schools median gpas are 3.6. a very few of them are 3.5 and 3.7. I have to retake my MCAT on July 10th b/c i got my mcat back a week ago and I got a 26R (8, 10, 8), ouch!! Most of these schools median mcats range between 29-32. I know I can get within that range, especially considering I already was getting in that range on practice tests before the first time. I ended up getting my lowest score range but I also barely had any studying done due to taking 21 hours. this time I'll have a good 2 months to study since i barely have anything going on this summer.

univ of kansas -instate
univ of oklahoma -did undergrad in OK, so OK ties (OU for sure factors in OK ties)
NYMC
Albany
Buffalo
SUNY up/down/whatever it is
Drexel
Jefferson
Toledo - born in cleveland, dad did residency at ohio state, still have family there...if these help?
Wright State - born in cleveland, dad did residency at ohio state, still have family there...if these help?
George Washington
Creighton
Tulane
Rush
Loyola
EVMC
VCU

I can theoretically apply to all these b/c my parents want me to apply to as many as possible, but I just feel guilty and stupid applying to ~18 when all my friends are applying to 2-3. Thanks everyone! I'm going to be submitting my amcas late june/early july, that way I can wait for my summer grades. without my summer grades I'll only have 3.60 cumulative and 3.56 science.

if you are willing to go to any of these schools and you don't have anything holding you back apply to all of them...i just read a thread of a guy who had >30 MCAT and applied to 35 schools. I say go for it (especially if your parents are footing the bills).

lol why say HYPS instead of mentioning your actual school?

lol why say HYPS instead of mentioning your actual school?

because I prefer some degree of anonymity? My school can feel like a very small place. All are more or less equally well-regarded in the eyes of adcoms, no? I go to one of them.

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance, scarletgirl. :) My grades are so far below my own standards that I find it hard to convince myself that any medical school would take me (somewhat irrational, but true!).

I can theoretically apply to all these b/c my parents want me to apply to as many as possible, but I just feel guilty and stupid applying to ~18 when all my friends are applying to 2-3. Thanks everyone! I'm going to be submitting my amcas late june/early july, that way I can wait for my summer grades. without my summer grades I'll only have 3.60 cumulative and 3.56 science.

i'd say you have some pretty...erm...confident friends there. i wouldn't DREAM of applying to 3 schools. 30 maybe but definately not 3.

CA Resident

Overall GPA 3.35
Science GPA 3.2
3 more classes remaining this quarter, which if I do well should bring me to 3.4 overall, ~3.25-3.3 science
Rough first year (B-'s and a couple C+'s) and 2/3 of second year, significantly better after that with almost a 4.0 so far this final year.

MCAT: 11/10/13 34P

Extracurriculars:
Volunteered two summers at a hospital ER and Surgery Center
One year of clinical research
Two years volunteering at a free clinic, 1 of those years in a director position
Three years in a leadership position for a philanthropic organization raising money for a children's hospital
Writing tutor
Involvement in cultural/religious groups on campus

Also, I will be enrolling at Georgetown's SMP this fall.

What are my chances without the SMP? How well do I need to do in the SMP do get an acceptance to an MD? I heard I need to get a 3.8+, is this true?

Please give me advice! Thanks for your help in advance!

Please answer

Ok,
GPA 3.6 Science 3.5
MCAT 31R
Private university in midwest
Research with poster.
Volunteering overseas and at university hospital
Good LOR's

What are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.