What Are My Chances and Other General Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never wait. Get this show on the road. Every year you wait is a year of six-figure income that you won't be earning, and another year of med school/rotations that you could already have behind you.

You're done with school and you did fine. You did fine on the MCAT. You probably won't get into Harvard. Who gives a ****? You'll get in somewhere good, and you'll still be in the habit of doing schoolwork all the time.

As someone who made the idiotic mistake of waiting, I cannot emphasize to you enough that you would be ******ed to wait a year. School is so much better than working **** jobs its not even funny. This is something else I cannot emphasize enough. Don't waste any more time. Go be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an aspiring Medical student looking to follow in my mother's footsteps in becoming an MD. I just finished up my first-year of college and unfortunately, my first year is definitely sub-par and a failure in the simplest terms. My first semester I finished with a 3.14 GPA with grades of A-, A-, B, B, and C+. The C+ came in chemistry which worries me because I know science GPA is very important in Medical School Evaluations. And this is where the **** hits the fan...

Second semester is just plain awful. For some reason, I have struggled so much in General Chemistry II, and am going to come away with a D at best, and in the worst case scenario (as if it could get any worse) an F. I started off the semester very poorly by deciding to rush a fraternity which attributes somewhat to my grades being poor (as my grades dropped, I decided that this fraternity was not for me and have since dropped out and have tried so hard to focus on bringing my grades back up. Any fraternity that makes your grades suffer is not worth being in, and it took me the first couple months of the semester to realize that (future advice for anyone who reads this). Anyway, in Chemistry I am going to get a D or an F, in Biology I am going to get a C, and in the rest of my classes, I should receive A's and B's. But in the end after second semester, I am going to come away with (worst case scenario) an F, D, B, B, B, which brings my second semester GPA to a miserable 1.9 and my cumulative GPA to about a 2.5! I know, I know, horrible.

What I am trying to get at is that by deciding to focus on meaningless "friend making" in fraternity life that only brought my grades down dramatically, I dug myself a hole this second semester that hurt me tremendously. I can say that after getting my head straight and back on track, my grades improved (hard to imagine) from borderline failing in some classes to somewhat decent grades. Am I toast? My study habits have improved and my grades have always been A/B range besides this last semester. I am just looking to hear from you guys to see what you have to say and if I should look into other career alternatives. I plan on having my freshman year be the only year where I attain grades less than a B, but will doing very well soph, jr, and sr year be able to make up for my mediocre freshman year?

Oh crap I mis-read. You haven't taken the MCAT yet. As long as you don't just completely eat **** on the real one, you should apply. Start filling out those applications as soon as they are available. Get that MCAT score in, and send out the apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an aspiring Medical student looking to follow in my mother's footsteps in becoming an MD. I just finished up my first-year of college and unfortunately, my first year is definitely sub-par and a failure in the simplest terms. My first semester I finished with a 3.14 GPA with grades of A-, A-, B, B, and C+. The C+ came in chemistry which worries me because I know science GPA is very important in Medical School Evaluations. And this is where the **** hits the fan...

Second semester is just plain awful. For some reason, I have struggled so much in General Chemistry II, and am going to come away with a D at best, and in the worst case scenario (as if it could get any worse) an F. I started off the semester very poorly by deciding to rush a fraternity which attributes somewhat to my grades being poor (as my grades dropped, I decided that this fraternity was not for me and have since dropped out and have tried so hard to focus on bringing my grades back up. Any fraternity that makes your grades suffer is not worth being in, and it took me the first couple months of the semester to realize that (future advice for anyone who reads this). Anyway, in Chemistry I am going to get a D or an F, in Biology I am going to get a C, and in the rest of my classes, I should receive A's and B's. But in the end after second semester, I am going to come away with (worst case scenario) an F, D, B, B, B, which brings my second semester GPA to a miserable 1.9 and my cumulative GPA to about a 2.5! I know, I know, horrible.

What I am trying to get at is that by deciding to focus on meaningless "friend making" in fraternity life that only brought my grades down dramatically, I dug myself a hole this second semester that hurt me tremendously. I can say that after getting my head straight and back on track, my grades improved (hard to imagine) from borderline failing in some classes to somewhat decent grades. Am I toast? My study habits have improved and my grades have always been A/B range besides this last semester. I am just looking to hear from you guys to see what you have to say and if I should look into other career alternatives. I plan on having my freshman year be the only year where I attain grades less than a B, but will doing very well soph, jr, and sr year be able to make up for my mediocre freshman year?

Sure, anythings possible. Why don't you sit down and figure out how many hours of A's you need to get around a 3.5? Also, did you retake the chemistry you got a D in? remember, MD schools average retakes, there is no replacing a bad grade....

hello every1...i'm a new member to this forum and would like to know ur thoughts on my chances

I'm a permanent resident of canada
BCMP: 3.75
overall: 3.73
MCAT: 33

hospital volunteering, summer research once, part time lab job, 2 community service positions

I plan to apply to
SUNY upstate
Mount Sinai
New york medical college
Penn state
Winconsin (looks a bit too competitive compared to others)
Jefferson??

So I'd like to know whether I'm in a OK position to apply to these schools. Its kinda difficult for me to come up with the list without any inputs from anyone else as this is my first time applying and have never been to america.

Thanks guys!

Thank u Wylde...i'm not a canadian citizen yet so i'm not eligible to apply 2 MI and ohio.......

anyone else would like to comment?....any more schools i can add and when u say early...do mean by june?...do u think having a higher mcat score will improve the applcn?...is the GPA fine?

thanks again guys....i have quoted my previous message so that its easier for u to reply...

I would say that your premed office is in the best position to say what your GPA from your school means, especially if you have a lot of med school applicants. I know you're an alum, but you could try calling one of your premed advisors to realistically assess your GPA. It's kind of a myth that school doesn't matter, but random people on SDN aren't really in the best position to tell you how your school's particular ranking/grade inflation or deflation reputation affects your GPA.

Yeah, I've been keeping in touch with the pre-med office since graduating and actually have an appointment with them this week. They are pretty involved with forming the committee letter and require an interview and all that good stuff. I think undergraduate institutions matter since it's just a reality that some schools are more rigorous than others. I was also a biomedical engineering student before I switched to neuroscience so my program was a bit on the challenging side - i took brain mapping, chem, physics and calc in the first semester of college.

June 13th for the MCAT. Everything else is pretty much good to go, because I went through the committee letter process at my school. Clinical is kind of lacking (in my opinion), only about 150 hours total, split between a hospital and a pediatrics clinic for uninsured patients. Did you apply for right after undergrad, or just take a year off? I'm curious what the negatives are to applying and not being accepted, in terms of having to make a lot of improvement for the following year.

I lost your post after the first time I replied to it...I think it was moved...just found it again.

* Your clinical experience is fine, as long as you are able to effectively communicate about it. You have more hours of experience than I did. Clinical experience will not be the X-factor for your application.

* I just decided to take a year off after undergrad. I did so partly to strengthen my application, but mostly because I just wanted to. I would definitely do it all over again...I've enjoyed my year off tremendously, but I'm also very excited about starting back.

* If I were you, I would decide whether to apply or wait a year based on the MCAT. You should take several practice tests the last couple of weeks before your actual test date. If you can consistently score near your target score, (I'd shoot for a 32+, and wouldn't accept anything less than a 30), then I'd take the test and apply. (Keep in mind that your score may improve considerably even within the last 2 or 3 weeks...my average score went up 3 points in the last week before the test, probably because of some last minute cramming. Also keep in mind that some scores may be outlyers because some practice tests are more difficult than others. But, if you take enough practice tests late enough, you'll probably have a pretty good idea of what your score will be like.) However, if you are not scoring high enough, I'd put the test off and at that point decide to take the year off. Better to take a year off and spend more time studying material that your sick of looking at, than take the test, score a 24, and seriously hurt your chances of acceptance for even the next cycle.

It sound to me as if you are pretty much ready to apply now, assuming that you do well on the MCAT. But like I said, taking a year off is not the end of the world, if you are having serious reservations. In fact, I loved my year off. Don't rush things. Make sure you're prepared to do it right the first time, (even if that's next year), so that you don't have to do it again.

Hi,

I am not really too sure what the wisest thing to do is in my situation, so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could give me some advice.

I just finished college. I originally started as a history major, but decided to switch in to physiology halfway through. I also decided to become a doctor. I finished in four years, and my GPA is 3.72, and my science GPA is about a 3.9. My GPA has improved every year.

I am taking the MCAT in July. I just took an AAMC practice test to see where I'm at before I start studying , and I got a 33. I think I'll be able to do at least that well on the actual test, because I haven't put any effort into preparing yet. I think that a 33 is fairly competitive, but I might be wrong.

I am trying to decide whether I should apply this year (i.e. for 2009 admission) or wait until the next year. My main concerns are:
- I'll be taking the MCAT in July, so I won't be able to get the application in until later.
- I'm not really sure if my extracurricular activities are acceptable. I worked as as a food server and dishwasher in the cafeteria throughout college, and I was the captain of an intramural basketball team. Over the summers, I've worked full time as a camp counselor and a painter. Last summer, I also volunteered in the ER of a hospital for about 50 hours, and I also volunteered in a children's hospital in Uganda for a month. This is pretty much the extent of my clinical experience. Next year, I want to work full time as a CNA. This summer, I have a job working in a lab for one of my professors.

So, my question is whether I should wait a year and get the experience working in a hospital in before I actually apply, or whether I should just go for it this year. Most people I have talked to have advised me to just apply this year, but they don't really know anything about the admissions process.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks.

I think you can do well in this cylce, based on what you've described.

Acceptable GPA: check.

MCAT: Practice test scores, based on what others have posted, can vary a bit. But if you're already scoring 33, I would bet that you'll do well on the MCAT. As you said, 33 is a very competitive score at all but the top schools. Considering that you still have two months to prepare, you may, in fact, destroy the MCAT. I improved by 8 points over my first practice test score, after only a month of studying...but it had also been quite a while since I took any pre-req classes, and it's a lot harder to drastically improve a 33 than a 25, so it's probably hard to judge just how much you'll improve. Bottom line, if you improve at all on a 33, you'll have a great score. Work hard and try to knock it out of the park.

Asuming that you interview well/ have good letters/ good PS, that leaves EC's/ clinical experience: From what you describe, there is room for improvement, based on the competitiion, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. You have about as many clinical hours as I did at the start of my application cycle. And, like me, you seemed to have worked quite a bit in non-medical jobs. I think this can be very beneficial. While some other pre-meds were accumulating a billion hours of volunteering/shadowing for the sole purpose of putting those hours on their apps, we were actually doing something that meant something to us (working to save money/ minimize school debt, etc.) and I think adcoms appreciate things like this. Not to mention, I think that being employed throughout college actually shows much more work ethic than an endless supply of volunteer hours. In general, it's pretty easy to say, "hey I'm not showing up for volunteer hours this week, I have a big test Friday,", than it is to take time off from a job that you're committed to. In my experience, adcoms seem to appreciate the hard work that it often takes to maintain steady employment throughout undergrad. I don't think your ECs will be a problem. They look almost identical to mine, except I didn't have the Uganda experience.

Oh, and as far as applying late goes...the earlier the better. But if you take the MCAT in July and have everything else done at that time, I think you'll be fine. I took the MCAT in September, (and wouldn't advise anyone esle to do so.)

oi,

is buying teh MSAR worth it?

OK I am up to Bat. What do you all think about my chances this cycle. I just received my MCAT score today and want to get started on choosing schools. I am very disappointed in my score but I think I can work with it. I honestly do not want to re-take it this July.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10274

Criticism and help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

OK I am up to Bat. What do you all think about my chances this cycle. I just received my MCAT score today and want to get started on choosing schools. I am very disappointed in my score but I think I can work with it. I honestly do not want to re-take it this July.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10274

Criticism and help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

April 5th is my birthday. Must not have been as good a day for you as it was for me...

Anyways, you should retake it in July. You still have an outside shot with a 28, but I'm not sure if you want to risk an entire year on that chance, rather than just study for the next two months. However, that's up to you. You're in NY which is good, since there's a ton of state schools there. I'd say your best bet is going to be getting into a middle of the road state school with that MCAT. I'd consider taking GT and Boston off of your list of schools, and maybe adding VCU and EVMS.

My personal recommendation would be to re-take the MCAT though.

Edit -- Also, which of your experiences do you consider to be your "clinical experience." I see the shadowing which is good, but do you have any clinical volunteer type of experiences? In the ER, children's hospital, cancer center, etc?

April 5th is my birthday. Must not have been as good a day for you as it was for me...

Anyways, you should retake it in July. You still have an outside shot with a 28, but I'm not sure if you want to risk an entire year on that chance, rather than just study for the next two months. However, that's up to you. You're in NY which is good, since there's a ton of state schools there. I'd say your best bet is going to be getting into a middle of the road state school with that MCAT. I'd consider taking GT and Boston off of your list of schools, and maybe adding VCU and EVMS.

My personal recommendation would be to re-take the MCAT though.

Edit -- Also, which of your experiences do you consider to be your "clinical experience." I see the shadowing which is good, but do you have any clinical volunteer type of experiences? In the ER, children's hospital, cancer center, etc?

Thanks for the response. I do not have any clinical volunteer type - just my job in the ER which I believe is sufficient clinical experience.

11 10 10 M on MCAT - 31M

~3.55 GPA cumulative - slightly lower Science GPA.
--First sem. had a low 2.62 - brought up above 3.5 every semester since and hopefully 18 hrs and 4.0 current semester.

state - WV
Want to get into: WVU School of Medicine
165+ Volunteer hours in ED and ICU
1 Semester research, continuing during this summer and senior year

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I am re-taking it July 10th now to improve from a 28 to hopefully 30 plus - I know it can be done with some work. I can still submit the AAMCAS right away with the 28 (3.9 GPA) and check the option saying I plan to re-take it, correct? Is this a good idea or will it hurt my chances because they will see the 28 and just toss it aside?

OK I am re-taking it July 10th now to improve from a 28 to hopefully 30 plus - I know it can be done with some work. I can still submit the AAMCAS right away with the 28 (3.9 GPA) and check the option saying I plan to re-take it, correct? Is this a good idea or will it hurt my chances because they will see the 28 and just toss it aside?
You would have a shot with the 28...especially coming from NY and with your Good ECS....YOu are pretty much a shoe in for the DO schools, but retake if you are 100% sure you can do better.

11 10 10 M on MCAT - 31M

~3.55 GPA cumulative - slightly lower Science GPA.
--First sem. had a low 2.62 - brought up above 3.5 every semester since and hopefully 18 hrs and 4.0 current semester.

state - WV
Want to get into: WVU School of Medicine
165+ Volunteer hours in ED and ICU
1 Semester research, continuing during this summer and senior year
Upward trend.average GPA..average MCAT...average ECs...but with WV being your homestate..>I think you will get in.

Okay, so here's my situation:

3.6 Overall GPA
3.45 Science GPA (Due to a D in Calc that I retook and got a B+ in, and a C+ in Cell Bio and Biochemistry...)
This semester's grades are pending...I have finals this week.
(Overall downward trend...which I know looks really bad...)

Took the April 5th MCAT, and got a 25Q. (Definitely thinking I have to retake it...)

2 publications (2 more on the way)
6 conference presentations
60 page senior thesis
3 Years research experience
1.5 years clinical volunteering
3.5 Years tutoring/mentoring/teaching assistant positions

I know you should apply early, so I plan to fill out AMCAS as soon as it comes out, and submit ASAP.

Or should I wait for my MCAT retake (I'm thinking an August exam)?

I don't want to give up this dream. I really don't want this to be it....busting my butt for so long and have a stupid test and a bad semester just kill it all.

Feedback appreciated.

3.6 Overall GPA
3.45 Science GPA (Due to a D in Calc that I retook and got a B+ in, and a C+ in Cell Bio and Biochemistry...)

Took the April 5th MCAT, and got a 25Q. (Definitely thinking I have to retake it...)

60 page senior thesis

I know you should apply early, so I plan to fill out AMCAS as soon as it comes out, and submit ASAP.

I don't want to give up this dream. I really don't want this to be it....busting my butt for so long and have a stupid test and a bad semester just kill it all.

Feedback appreciated.

I would say you're a competitive osteopathic applicant, but as far as allopathic goes, you HAVE to retake the test. You'd be wasting your time and money if you applied to allopathics without a higher MCAT score.

Hi,

I'm currently a senior in college planning on applying to medical schools this June. Here are the basic stats:

MCAT: 34R (12 bio 12 physical 10 VR)
GPA: 3.6 (science & non-science are same)
Major: Economics
ECs:
- W.H.O health finance intern
- ENT hospital intern in India
- Enzyme catalysis lab researcher (on-campus)
- Fed Challenge - Economics competition
- Editor of International magazine

Now I have a couple questions that I'm having difficulty getting answers for on campus. What sort of schools should I be aiming for? Secondly, my two science grades senior year were B's (B in Immunology B+ in biochemistry). Would this hurt my chances, especially if I've never gotten an A in a Bio class (I have numerous B+'s, and I come from a very competitive undergraduate institution). My grades in chemistry & other pre-reqs were stellar.

Any input would be lovely. Oh, and I'm a MA resident going to Tufts University.

I would say you're a competitive osteopathic applicant, but as far as allopathic goes, you HAVE to retake the test. You'd be wasting your time and money if you applied to allopathics without a higher MCAT score.

So I should wait until my retake scores come out?

anyone else wants to comment on post #1296...please

hello every1...i'm a new member to this forum and would like to know ur thoughts on my chances

I'm a permanent resident of canada
BCMP: 3.75
overall: 3.73
MCAT: 33

hospital volunteering, summer research once, part time lab job, 2 community service positions

I plan to apply to
SUNY upstate
Mount Sinai
New york medical college
Penn state
Winconsin (looks a bit too competitive compared to others)
Jefferson??

So I'd like to know whether I'm in a OK position to apply to these schools. Its kinda difficult for me to come up with the list without any inputs from anyone else as this is my first time applying and have never been to america.

Thanks guys!
Throw in wayne state..Michigan state...whatever other schools take International applicants..

So I should wait until my retake scores come out?

If I were in your position, I would. Schools won't make a decision regarding your app until after your retake scores are available to them.

I was wondering if you could let me know my chances as far as where would be good to apply...

MCAT:33N
GPA:3.7
BCPM:3.46
ECs:worked in hospital, internationally volunteering, honors program as undergrad, volunteered at library, some physician shadowing

WI resident

Thinking of applying to midwest state schools and new york schools, and reaches include U Chicago and Northwestern. Should I shoot higher/lower? Any obvious weaknesses? Thanks.

Hi i looking to apply to schools and i know my stats are very low but just looking for isight. I have a 3.14 sci and overall gpa with 34Q on the mcat. I have done research for 3 yrs with presentation and maybe a publication next year. Lots of hospital volunteering and shadowing, as well as tutoring children at a local HS.

What are my chances and where should I consider applying?:
UCLA undergrad neuroscience major,
GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 33 O
EC: 1 year clinical research with meth and cocaine addicts, summer internship at biotech company in chem lab, some shadowing, volunteer at local religious center maintaining records.
I know my GPA is low, what are some ways I can improve myself as a candidate (other than just getting good grades) if I wait another year?

I'm planning on applying to medical school and having my application turned in by mid july this year. Please give critique me on my application and let me know what you truly think of my chances (i'm a Texas resident):

BCP: 2.95
Overall: 3.27

MCAT: 13V, 14P, 14B, 41S

ECs:
Science Council Member
Kids program: volunteer coordinator, then vice president
charity program in asia: volunteer coordinator
Research only a couple months, start my project this summer
volunteer hospital hours
couple other kid's after school programs volunteered with

What schools do you think I have the optimum chance of getting? Do you think I have any chance at the top schools?

Thanks for your input!

Hello all!

Here is the link to my MDApps.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10302

I'm going to be taking 1 year off, half of which will be spent doing genetics research, saving up funds, etc. I'm hoping to get some more clinic experience while I am there.

The other half will be spent waiting patiently for acceptances, etc.

2/3 LORs will not be very strong, and I haven't got any other choices. My clinical experience is minimal.

I'm thinking of taking 2 years, spending one working/going abroad for volunteer work, spending another in an SMP or something similar.

Any feedback? Thanks!!

Hello fellow SDNers,

I would appreciate your feedback on how it looks for me. Here it goes:

I'm planning to apply this June for 2009 matriculation. This is also my second time.

My first time:

overall AMCAS GPA: 3.29
overall AMCAS BCPM: 3.17 (pretty low I know)
MCAT: 28 P
Extracurricular: research, volunteering, church involvement

This time:

overall AMCAS BCPM: 3.17
MCAT: 32 M (I think the computer didn't save my second essay for the writing section)
Graduate GPA (Master of Public Health): 3.95
Extracurricular: research, more volunteering, church involvement, working at private opthamology clinic.

THANKS! Your feedback is much appreciated

Hello. I am taking Introductory Chemistry, and I heard that I don't need it to get into medical school, but since I didn't take any in High School, I have to take it before I get into my more advanced Chemistry classes.

I am doing poorly. The book he assigned has many mistakes in it, and his teaching sucks. I will probably get a C in the class. Is this going to hurt any chances I have for medical school?

Also, there's only about 8 medical schools I can apply to within my state. I cannot go to any other college besides ones that are close to me however because I have two kids, and a spouse who is going to be there for them when I get in. However, going far out of state would seem awful for them. Should I still apply to the other schools, just to have applied, even though if I'm accepted, I won't go there?

Also I have my Bachelor's degree in Sociology/Human Services. I have experience doing medication transcription for 3 months, volunteering with foster care teenagers for 3 months, being a group home Case Manager for people with mental illness, where I had to do counseling, and take them to the hospital and refill and take care of their medication for them. I learned a lot about doctors and medications while there for 3 years. It was a lot like a hospital, because if a medication was missed, we had a protocol to follow. I am currently requesting information to volunteer at a hospital and to do shadowing. However, I don't plan on applying to medical school until 2009 or 2010. Will my experience help me, and should I still volunteer at a hospital, or will any volunteer experience help?

Any advice would be great!!

Takeuwithme

3.6 Overall GPA

60 page senior thesis

Feedback appreciated.

Bibbed: Thanks for the input

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone else can give me some feedback...

I'm planning on applying to medical school and having my application turned in by mid july this year. Please give critique me on my application and let me know what you truly think of my chances (i'm a Texas resident):

ECs:
Science Council Member
volunteer hospital hours

What schools do you think I have the optimum chance of getting? Do you think I have any chance at the top schools?

Thanks for your input!

Your application is so obscure it's hard to predict what would happen. The MCAT is obviously impressive and will get you some looks, but the GPA is going to be an issue. You sort of off-hand mentioned volunteering in the hospital, but a good, solid clinical experience is really the most important EC. Hopefully, there was some part of it that you can really speak to. On the brightside, you're in the state of Texas, which is pretty much the best one to be in. If I had to guess, I would say your chances of getting into a state school are 'fair,' out-of-state, 'not so good.' That's just my guess though, your MCAT and GPA make for a lot of variance in your app, sort of like a large standard deviation.

Hello all!

Here is the link to my MDApps.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10302

I'm going to be taking 1 year off, half of which will be spent doing genetics research, saving up funds, etc. I'm hoping to get some more clinic experience while I am there.

The other half will be spent waiting patiently for acceptances, etc.

2/3 LORs will not be very strong, and I haven't got any other choices. My clinical experience is minimal.

I'm thinking of taking 2 years, spending one working/going abroad for volunteer work, spending another in an SMP or something similar.

Any feedback? Thanks!!

So you will be applying this cycle? Correct? (That's the way I'm reading it, and I am replying accordingly)

Firstly, SMPs are basically last resort scenarios for low GPA applicants (not always, but traditionally). However, if you are very successful in one it can be HUGE for your application, though they are very difficult. So you'll have to weigh all of those factors.

Your MCAT is slightly above average, your GPA is slightly below, so I think they balance out. It looks like you have a lot of good non-clinical experiences, but like you said your clinical experiences are lacking. Bad LORs isn't going to help. If I were you I would hop into another clinical experience ASAP, so you can at least put 'May to present' on your application.

I think you'll get some interviews, especially at a state school or two, and maybe some middle-ish out-of-state and private schools. Your app looks pretty average, but the LORs and clinical exp. is going to bring you down a bit. Like I said, try to grab another clinical experience pronto.

Hello fellow SDNers,

I would appreciate your feedback on how it looks for me. Here it goes:

I'm planning to apply this June for 2009 matriculation. This is also my second time.

My first time:

overall AMCAS BCPM: 3.17 (pretty low I know)
MCAT: 28 P
Extracurricular: research, volunteering, church involvement

This time:

overall AMCAS BCPM: 3.17
MCAT: 32 M (I think the computer didn't save my second essay for the writing section)
Graduate GPA (Master of Public Health): 3.95
Extracurricular: research, more volunteering, church involvement, working at private opthamology clinic.

THANKS! Your feedback is much appreciated

Graduate school is known for having soft grading, and your undergrad GPA will still be considered, but I think your in great shape. The graduate GPA is awesome and the MCAT is a little above average. If the rest of your stars are aligned (meaning good ECS, good LORs, great PS), I think you'll be fine. A shoe-in for a state school, in my opinion.

Hello. I am taking Introductory Chemistry, and I heard that I don't need it to get into medical school, but since I didn't take any in High School, I have to take it before I get into my more advanced Chemistry classes.

I am doing poorly. The book he assigned has many mistakes in it, and his teaching sucks. I will probably get a C in the class. Is this going to hurt any chances I have for medical school?

Also, there's only about 8 medical schools I can apply to within my state. I cannot go to any other college besides ones that are close to me however because I have two kids, and a spouse who is going to be there for them when I get in. However, going far out of state would seem awful for them. Should I still apply to the other schools, just to have applied, even though if I'm accepted, I won't go there?

Also I have my Bachelor's degree in Sociology/Human Services. I have experience doing medication transcription for 3 months, volunteering with foster care teenagers for 3 months, being a group home Case Manager for people with mental illness, where I had to do counseling, and take them to the hospital and refill and take care of their medication for them. I learned a lot about doctors and medications while there for 3 years. It was a lot like a hospital, because if a medication was missed, we had a protocol to follow. I am currently requesting information to volunteer at a hospital and to do shadowing. However, I don't plan on applying to medical school until 2009 or 2010. Will my experience help me, and should I still volunteer at a hospital, or will any volunteer experience help?

Any advice would be great!!

Takeuwithme

General Chemistry I is a requirement for medical school. I would think it's the same thing as your Introduction to Chemistry course.

A bad grade in one class isn't going to kill you, but you'll need a bunch of A's to really show it was a fluke. So make sure you can succeed in those (traditionally harder) classes.

No point in applying if you won't go there. You'd just be wasting your time filling out secondaries and your money.

Your previous experience is great, but hospital volunteer experience is the gold standard. You can never have too much of it. Going in for a few hours every other week for a year would do wonders for your application. Longevity in clinical experiences is a good thing. I would recommend some hospital volunteering.

I was wondering if you could let me know my chances as far as where would be good to apply...

MCAT:33N
GPA:3.7
BCPM:3.46
ECs:worked in hospital, internationally volunteering, honors program as undergrad, volunteered at library, some physician shadowing

WI resident

Thinking of applying to midwest state schools and new york schools, and reaches include U Chicago and Northwestern. Should I shoot higher/lower? Any obvious weaknesses? Thanks.

Your application is definitely strong. Slightly above average, I think.

I'm not super familiar with the midwest, but I feel like Chicago and NW are on the upper-end of your spectrum (though you could toss an ivy league in there for the hell of it). A lot of the SUNYs in New York are good. Maybe some Pennsylvania and Ohio schools. Just make sure to apply broadly.

Hi i looking to apply to schools and i know my stats are very low but just looking for isight. I have a 3.14 sci and overall gpa with 34Q on the mcat. I have done research for 3 yrs with presentation and maybe a publication next year. Lots of hospital volunteering and shadowing, as well as tutoring children at a local HS. I was planning on doing postbac but i qualify for FAP and i am considered from under-priveleged background. So for those 12 free schools i get any suggestions of where I should apply.

I don't follow what you mean by "12 free schools," but I will tell you that I applied with a 3.2 and 35R last year and didn't get in anywhere. That doesn't exactly bode well for you. I'd definitely try to bring up your GPA if somehow possible. If not Uniformed Services will pay for your medical education and they have lower admissions averages (3.52 and 29).

Edit -- I re-read you post, and I'm assuming financial aid covers twelve schools. In that case, I would recommend your state schools (you didn't mention which state) and lower-tier schools. Maybe Howard, EVMS, VCU, Wright State etc.

What are my chances and where should I consider applying?:
UCLA undergrad neuroscience major,
GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 33 O
EC: 1 year clinical research with meth and cocaine addicts, summer internship at biotech company in chem lab, some shadowing, volunteer at local religious center maintaining records.
I know my GPA is low, what are some ways I can improve myself as a candidate (other than just getting good grades) if I wait another year?

I see your clinical research experience, but do you have any clinical volunteer experience, like direct patient contact stuff that you can really talk about in your essays/interviews?

I think you have a chance this cycle, assuming good LORs and a great PS. Make sure that personal statement is gold. Start doing a hosp. volunteer experience now if you can, so you can have something else to put on your application. If it doesn't work out this year, two full-semesters of post-bacc would be best. I'm assuming you'll have 120 credits when you graduate, so going up to 150 would be great for your GPA (assuming excellent grades).

Edit -- As far as applying, I feel like your stats are going to limit you to state schools and lower-tier out-of-state/private schools. As always, apply broadly.

Hey thanks alot Bibbed for the feedback. I hope everything goes well with you.

Just got my MCAT scores back today:

P8 V9 B13 I had major exam anxiety for the first section. I guess I'm alright with the overall 30, but am definitely worried about the distribution. How much does that matter? I'm just not sure I would be any less nervous the second time.. something about doing physics at break-neck speed to save my career causes a mental block. Ironically, scored better on P on a diagnostic exam before I did the two months of studying for it ;-). Was doing great on practice exams! Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist?? Haha... anyway, any suggestions - worth a redo to improve distribution?

Okay, since I just got my MCAT score today I'm beginning to wonder how I measure up...

SCHOOL:
Psychobiology major, Linguistics minor
GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: somewhere around 3.6

MCAT:
10P, 11V, 11B = 32S

EC's:
- Volunteering at a hospital (same old, same old)
- Research (had a position from March 07 to around Jan 08, but I quit that one and started a new position a few months ago)
- Part of a non-profit org. that sets up health clinics in Mexico
- Various jobs throughout the years (one of which was at a heart failure clinic)
- Various other non pre-med extracurriculars (my school's alumni association, a sorority, etc.) that, sadly, probably won't matter even though I enjoy being involved in them so much

I think that's about it...

Ideally, I'd like to stay in California (yup, CA resident :()or go to Boston... Harvard is never going to happen, and UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF are probably out of the question, but I MIGHT be able to manage Tufts, BU, or UCI.

Basically, I'm aiming for a mid-tier school, but I'm also going to apply to lower-tier schools as well as 1 or 2 top schools (because you never know...). Probably about 20-25 schools in total.

Thoughts? Advice? MCAT too low? Standards too high?

Thanks so much! :)

Okay, since I just got my MCAT score today I'm beginning to wonder how I
measure up...

SCHOOL:
Psychobiology major, Linguistics minor
GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: somewhere around 3.6

MCAT:
10P, 11V, 11B = 32S

EC's:
- Volunteering at a hospital (same old, same old)
- Research (had a position from March 07 to around Jan 08, but I quit that one and started a new position a few months ago)
- Part of a non-profit org. that sets up health clinics in Mexico
- Various jobs throughout the years (one of which was at a heart failure clinic)
- Various other non pre-med extracurriculars (my school's alumni association, a sorority, etc.) that, sadly, probably won't matter even though I enjoy being involved in them so much

I think that's about it...

Ideally, I'd like to stay in California (yup, CA resident :()or go to Boston... Harvard is never going to happen, and UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF are probably out of the question, but I MIGHT be able to manage Tufts, BU, or UCI.

Basically, I'm aiming for a mid-tier school, but I'm also going to apply to lower-tier schools as well as 1 or 2 top schools (because you never know...). Probably about 20-25 schools in total.

Thoughts? Advice? MCAT too low? Standards too high?

Thanks so much! :)
Stick with the 25 schools plan, with at least a few lower tier schools, and you should be good to go. Your MCAT and GPA are both above average for medical school matriculants You might not get CA, but you should get some sort of MD school, and your chances aren´t even all that low for you dream schools. If you actually get your application in on the first possible day your odds are even better

Just got my MCAT scores back today:

P8 V9 B13 I had major exam anxiety for the first section. I guess I'm alright with the overall 30, but am definitely worried about the distribution. How much does that matter? I'm just not sure I would be any less nervous the second time.. something about doing physics at break-neck speed to save my career causes a mental block. Ironically, scored better on P on a diagnostic exam before I did the two months of studying for it ;-). Was doing great on practice exams! Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist?? Haha... anyway, any suggestions - worth a redo to improve distribution?

From an admissions committee's perspective, the distribution is definitely suspect. A 30 is a decent score, what is your GPA? If you have a really high GPA (3.8+), I would consider trying this cycle with your current score. If you're 3.6 or below, I'd consider a retake to even out that distribution. Make sure that you can definitely improve if you take the test again.

ECs:
Science Council Member
volunteer hospital hours

Thanks for your input!

This is a tough call. The MCAT is a HUGE plus, but the GPA is a HUGE minus. I think you may get some looks. However, be aware that some schools don't even look at an app initially. They run it through a computer and if a certain minimal GPA and MCAT score aren't present, they shred it without a second look. You may get screened out of some of these schools. Then again, some may give you a combined MCAT/GPA score and screen based on that. You will be asked about the GPA at any interviews you may get. So obviously you need to be able to respond to these questions thoroughly, articulately, and you need to have good reasons. If I were you, I would consider sending an letter to schools when you submit AMCAS addressing this issue up front. Maybe someone will pull your app to the side for a second look, rather than simply allowing it to be screened out...you never know.

You asked about top schools. You need to feel as if you would be honored to get into any school. Almost every applicant is a long shot at the top schools. I would say you are more of a long shot than most. However, with your stellar MCAT, why not give it a shot?

If you search mdapps for MCATs greater than 40, but GPAs less than 3.3, you'll find that there are a few. Some have had success and others have not. I think it's good that you're from TX.

Hi, could I please get a reply to post # 1320? I would really appreciate some feedback as I'm trying to decide sooner rather than later what to do. Thank you!

Hi,

I'm currently a senior in college planning on applying to medical schools this June. Here are the basic stats:

MCAT: 34R (12 bio 12 physical 10 VR)
GPA: 3.6 (science & non-science are same)
Major: Economics
ECs:
- W.H.O health finance intern
- ENT hospital intern in India
- Enzyme catalysis lab researcher (on-campus)
- Fed Challenge - Economics competition
- Editor of International magazine

Now I have a couple questions that I'm having difficulty getting answers for on campus. What sort of schools should I be aiming for? Secondly, my two science grades senior year were B's (B in Immunology B+ in biochemistry). Would this hurt my chances, especially if I've never gotten an A in a Bio class (I have numerous B+'s, and I come from a very competitive undergraduate institution). My grades in chemistry & other pre-reqs were stellar.

Any input would be lovely. Oh, and I'm a MA resident going to Tufts University.

I think you should just apply based on MSAR/US News and World report in terms of where they say your MCAT is competitive and a little lower and higher as well, because your GPA seems fine and it doesn't seem like you have some stellar thing to push you up or horrible negative to push you down. Obviously, B's always "hurt chances" but who knows how much it matters and I don't think it's anything to sweat about now. Although now that I am noticing that you are not a science major--are these the only biology classes you have ever taken?

Thanks for the reply.

I've only taken 5 Bio classes:

intro bio - B+
intro bio II - B
Mammalian central nervous system & lab - A
Biochemistry - B+
Immunology - B

The bio class grades worry me a bit. I know I can handle the workload (I took the first two classes as a freshman when all of my grades were low, and I had some major personal issues this semester that dropped my Biochem grade from an A/A+ to a B+ in one exam).

Do you think it would be more worth it to take a few summer courses, boost my bio grades, and apply to med school in July? Or apply now with what I have, June 1st?

Thanks

Haven't taken my MCATs yet, but let's see where I stand now >_> :p

Degree candidate:
B.A. in Biological Sciences, Honors
B.A. in Journalism with University Honors Co-Major
Current GPA: 3.65

Honors Student Association member
Student writer for the university newspaper
Several other extracurricular activities, including student's day at the Capitol, Alumni Association's annual legislative reception, and alumni advisor for my high school's student council

Over 100 hours volunteer experience in the ER of Children's Hospital
2 years neurology medical research (as in actual researcher, not research assistant)

Your GPA is right at the average for matriculants, so that's a plus. What is your science GPA like? I'd imagine you'll need some more clinical experience to be competitive, but as long as you get a 30+ on the MCAT, you're in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.