What are my chances a second time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danielle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of you thought were my chances of being accepted to medical school after already applying a few years ago. I have been working as a research assistant for 2 1/2 years after receiving my bachelor's in biology and anthropology. Through my research I have had the opportunity to publish a few journal articles and present posters as various conferences. I graduated with a 3.5gpa (3.64 science gpa) from Case and an MCAT score of P=10, B=9, V=9. However, the trend in my grades went down from freshman to senior year because I was diagnosed with epilepsy the fall semester of my junior year. The side effects of the medication made it very difficult for me to study and I was still having seizures. Instead, of applying to med school right away I decided to take some time off and work as a research assistant researching cerebral blood flow and metabolism and publishing a few journal articles and abstracts. While I have been doing this I am completing my master's in Anatomy. I decided to apply again this year because I have finally been prescribed a medication with no side effects and have not had a seizure in over a year and a half. In addition the cause of my seizures has finally been diagnosed as temporal lobe epilepsy due to scarring on my parahippocampal gyrus caused by a febrile seizure I had when I was about 16 months and was in a coma for awhile. Due to this experience I want to become a neurologist. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Besides your MCAT score, you sound like a strong candidate. You have the grades, relevant scientific work experience (I got screwed there), and good story to tell. If you can, you should try to improve on your MCAT score.