DO What are my chances? 3.789 GPA and 500 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elijahl

Reaction score
I know the MCAT score is very low. My lowest section was CP at 121. Some other background information is I've been working as a full time scribe for more than 2 years as well as volunteering with my ambulance company for around the same time (EMT certified in May 2023). I have/am applying to only DO schools.

Post bacc GPA 3.79, sGPA 3.82
MCAT: C/P 121, CARS 128, B/B 126, P/S 125
NY resident
Asian descent
Post bacc in 2021 (BS), Bacc in 2018 (BBA)
Experience as a scribe and EMT
volunteer with online ministry group
No real research, no shadowing

As stated, I am applying to mainly DO schools due to low MCAT.
I would like to get into NYITCOM (I have a letter of rec from an alumni there)
But I am also applying to "easier" schools like Arkansas, Lake Eerie, Kentucky, WVSOM

If I were to retake the MCAT early next year, could I still apply for the 2024 school year?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you format to the template?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First, how many hours as a scribe (you said 2 years), and what are you doing (ED)?

Second, depending on how many hours you have been scribing, your lack of shadowing is going to be an issue. Maybe you can claim 50 hours of scribing as shadowing, but how do I know you know what doctors do?

How long have you lived in the Tri-State? Why would you consider applying to ACOM, WVSOM, or Pikesville? They aren't "easier" if you have no interest living in rural America for 4 years of your life. They won't take you either. Stick to the urban DO schools like PCOM. I'll let others generate a list.

I have no sense of your mission fit, and it sounds like your only mission is to get into any medical school now rather than see if you can improve your profile to be more desirable.

You did a postbac, so what help are you getting from the advisors?

Reactions: 1 user
First, how many hours as a scribe (you said 2 years), and what are you doing (ED)?

Second, depending on how many hours you have been scribing, your lack of shadowing is going to be an issue. Maybe you can claim 50 hours of scribing as shadowing, but how do I know you know what doctors do?

How long have you lived in the Tri-State? Why would you consider applying to ACOM, WVSOM, or Pikesville? They aren't "easier" if you have no interest living in rural America for 4 years of your life. They won't take you either. Stick to the urban DO schools like PCOM. I'll let others generate a list.

I have no sense of your mission fit, and it sounds like your only mission is to get into any medical school now rather than see if you can improve your profile to be more desirable.

You did a postbac, so what help are you getting from the advisors?
Close to 4000 hours as a scribe in an urgent care.

I have been in the tri-state area since coming to America, so 25 years now.

I understand your remark on my mission fit. Honestly I felt studying for the MCAT was difficult at the time given my full time job as well as volunteering at my ambulance company, and taking EMT classes. I want to get in a medical school now because then I think I can devote all my time and attention to it.

And honestly, since graduating with my postbac in 2021, I have not been in contact with any advisors or faculty, really only just to get LORs.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools if you apply broadly and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
NYIT-AR