WesternU-how does it compare to other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just wondering how Western University of Health Sciences in California compares to other California pharmacy schools? I've recently decided to pursue pharmacy so I am researching on California schools. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It's a great program but not as high ranking as USC or ucsf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm just wondering how Western University of Health Sciences in California compares to other California pharmacy schools? I've recently decided to pursue pharmacy so I am researching on California schools. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

I have visited and interviewed here and I was impressed. The block program they offer distinguishes them from other schools. I have heard they have a good reputation in the area from pharmacists that I have spoken to. Check out the Western thread in the school specific forum..some current students have given great answers to questions in there.

so would you say it's better or worse than Loma Linda, Touro CA, University of the Pacific and California Northstate?

IMO, it is better than both Northstate (at this time) and Touro and about equal w/ LLU and UOP. Between those three, the main difference is how the curriculum is presented:

LLU has three 10 week "quarters", Western has modified-block for the first year and block system following that, and UOP is an accelerated three year program.

Western U is great compared to the 50+ crap schools that opened in recent history. Back in the late 90s, it was considered a backup school for people in cali, but 2013, it's up there since all the other crap schools opened. Why would anyone want to do pharmacy today is beyond me.