Online Undergrad acceptance chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TnMedic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was curious what my chances for admission are going to be.

I’m 32, and over the last several years I have become very interested in podiatry as a profession. I’m an FP-C (flight paramedic) and an instructor for EMS with my local college. Over a decade in medicine including lab, management and EMS. I finished my AAS in paramedicine with a 3.6 overall gpa. I’m looking into getting my bachelors in healthcare management from an online school (WGU). The issue is they’re competency based, so my understanding is that it will reflect as a 3.0, lowering my GPA. A full course load at an in-person class isn’t feasible with my work and family life, sadly.

My question is, assuming I complete the rest of my prerequisites (Chem, O-chem 1&2, and physics 1&2) at a brick and mortar university, and perform reasonably well on the MCAT. Will this be enough to afford me an attempt at admission?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, assuming I complete the rest of my prerequisites (Chem, O-chem 1&2, and physics 1&2) at a brick and mortar university, and perform reasonably well on the MCAT. Will this be enough to afford me an attempt at admission?

Pre req GPAs + MCAT are the only things that matter.

Shadowing or at least knowing what podiatry entails is important because they will ask you.

Email the programs you're interested in to see if they accept the credits from the school you're about to sign up for.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre req GPAs + MCAT are the only things that matter.

Shadowing or at least knowing what podiatry entails is important because they will ask you.

Email the programs you're interested in to see if they accept the credits from the school you're about to sign up for.

I called and spoke with Kent State, they said that as long as it’s from a regionally accredited school (it is), then they accept the credits. My only concern was really for the ADCOMs view on the matter. Admittedly it’s a bit of a short cut. But I’m hoping I’ll get the chance to plead my specific case, and explain why I couldn’t manage the traditional route. I’m hoping I can find a way of shadowing a pod with the concerns over covid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called and spoke with Kent State, they said that as long as it’s from a regionally accredited school (it is), then they accept the credits. My only concern was really for the ADCOMs view on the matter. Admittedly it’s a bit of a short cut. But I’m hoping I’ll get the chance to plead my specific case, and explain why I couldn’t manage the traditional route. I’m hoping I can find a way of shadowing a pod with the concerns over covid.

Won't matter.

They are looking for 2 things:
1) Do you know how to study for classes? (indicated by sGPA)
2) Do you know how to study for a board exam? (indicated by MCAT)

They will ask you if you are ready, but if the numbers prove it, doesn't matter where you got the credits from.

Won't matter.

They are looking for 2 things:
1) Do you know how to study for classes? (indicated by sGPA)
2) Do you know how to study for a board exam? (indicated by MCAT)

They will ask you if you are ready, but if the numbers prove it, doesn't matter where you got the credits from.

That’s what I was hoping. I appreciate the info!

Take your prerequisites at a regular college and you'll be fine. I'm same age as you, graduated from undergrad in 2013 and just completed my online Master's degree in July 2020- the only thing that mattered during my interview is when/where I completed those prerequisites because they do believe the timing/place matter in reflecting how well you'll do in podiatry school. In my case they were worried that it's been 7+ years since I completed undergrad- but I got accepted anyway. I think you have a strong chance given you'll do well in prerequisites/MCAT.... Good Luck!

Take your prerequisites at a regular college and you'll be fine. I'm same age as you, graduated from undergrad in 2013 and just completed my online Master's degree in July 2020- the only thing that mattered during my interview is when/where I completed those prerequisites because they do believe the timing/place matter in reflecting how well you'll do in podiatry school. In my case they were worried that it's been 7+ years since I completed undergrad- but I got accepted anyway. I think you have a strong chance given you'll do well in prerequisites/MCAT.... Good Luck!

Great to hear! I really appreciate the input.