Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
completely unrelated: do the two posters above me realize how similar their screen names are? it's strangely funny. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little perplexed by the fact that people are already being deferred...why would they add on another interview day if they're already at that point? I'm interviewing tomorrow and the news is a little unnerving. I wonder how many others will be there with me tomorrow...? :confused:

I'm a little perplexed by the fact that people are already being deferred...why would they add on another interview day if they're already at that point? I'm interviewing tomorrow and the news is a little unnerving. I wonder how many others will be there with me tomorrow...? :confused:

There were at least 50-70 people at my interview day...and that seems to be the norm. So there will probably be quite a few...seems like a waste though since the best you can hope for is a differed waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
For those on the alternate list (like me), I called admissions and asked about our chances now that there is a deferred alternate list...they said that most keep the deferred because i guess a lot like a year off & that it doesn't necessarily mean we are out because of this list. So we still have somewhat of hope still left :)

Hi everyone, and congrats to all of you who got accepted! Can't wait to meet you all! And for those with deferred acceptances, enjoy your year off! I also got a deferred acceptance last year for this coming Fall and I can tell you that this past year has been the best! I traveled to many different places, spent lots of time with family, read many books, enjoyed my hobbies, etc... It has been the best vacation year and now I am ready to start school! :)

I posted the following in the COMP Class of 2015 thread and thought I would post it here as well:

So I just got the email regarding ISAC this summer and am not sure yet whether I really want to participate in the program... Can any current students share their ideas on ISAC, whether they participated in it or not? How is it being a facilitator? Do projects (prosections) take a lot of your time during the normal school year? And how much is ISAC? I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if it's REALLY worth it (whether it helps a lot during the first semester) or if it's just a little plus.

The main reason I was interested in doing ISAC initially is that I've been out of school for a few years and thought it would be a good way to get back in the groove before med school really starts.

Thanks a lot!

Hey,
I did ISAC last year and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I made. Being a facilitator was great because we got to review what we learned over the summer. Honestly, we didn't do any prosections. However, we did put on the mock practicals for the students so that they could quiz themselves before exams. Don't worry about time, because when the fall starts all you have is time. The thing about Gross Anatomy is that if you take it in the fall you only dissect half of the labs, but in ISAC you dissect every lab and there is a much smaller class for more attention. And then when the Fall starts you are already in the groove and have a lot of free time to start participating in clubs or service projects while everyone else is freaking out about anatomy. We had a few three day weekends because there were anatomy tests on mondays that we didn't have to go to. I am not saying ISAC was easy, because it wasn't, but it was definitely a better way to learn for me personally. Whether you take it in the summer or fall it takes adjustment to start studying for med school and this way its the only class you have to focus on.

You seem like you have had a good year off so it would probably be great for you. I did it because I really didn't want to work at my job anymore, but for anyone else if its between ISAC and traveling --- travel. At this point I feel like I've been at school forever (2 months longer than the fall people), but it was worth it. Finally, you just take more out in loans to live off of (no more tuition) and get a check earlier. Don't worry about the money. For the other summer program that isn't for credit you can't take out loans until the Fall.

Wow, I totally rambled... guess I don't want to study neuro, hope it helps tho

Hey,
I did ISAC last year and I have to say it was one of the best decisions I made. Being a facilitator was great because we got to review what we learned over the summer. Honestly, we didn't do any prosections. However, we did put on the mock practicals for the students so that they could quiz themselves before exams. Don't worry about time, because when the fall starts all you have is time. The thing about Gross Anatomy is that if you take it in the fall you only dissect half of the labs, but in ISAC you dissect every lab and there is a much smaller class for more attention. And then when the Fall starts you are already in the groove and have a lot of free time to start participating in clubs or service projects while everyone else is freaking out about anatomy. We had a few three day weekends because there were anatomy tests on mondays that we didn't have to go to. I am not saying ISAC was easy, because it wasn't, but it was definitely a better way to learn for me personally. Whether you take it in the summer or fall it takes adjustment to start studying for med school and this way its the only class you have to focus on.

You seem like you have had a good year off so it would probably be great for you. I did it because I really didn't want to work at my job anymore, but for anyone else if its between ISAC and traveling --- travel. At this point I feel like I've been at school forever (2 months longer than the fall people), but it was worth it. Finally, you just take more out in loans to live off of (no more tuition) and get a check earlier. Don't worry about the money. For the other summer program that isn't for credit you can't take out loans until the Fall.

Wow, I totally rambled... guess I don't want to study neuro, hope it helps tho

I was wondering if you took Anatomy in your undergrad? At the interview, they said that it was required but I was wondering if they make any exceptions to that requirement? Thanks

I was wondering if you took Anatomy in your undergrad? At the interview, they said that it was required but I was wondering if they make any exceptions to that requirement? Thanks

I did take anatomy in undergrad, but I know people who didn't who did ISAC. I think all you have to do is email Dr. Kuehn and express your interest and just mention that you know some anatomy or that you don't but are prepared. I don't really think people were turned down, but it did fill up so email him sooner than later.

Random question,

At this point I know I'll be matriculating this August at Western.....how are some of you feeling or handling the high cost of tuition and living expenses? Is anyone concerned that tuition here is so high even though the reputation is amazing?

Random question,

At this point I know I'll be matriculating this August at Western.....how are some of you feeling or handling the high cost of tuition and living expenses? Is anyone concerned that tuition here is so high even though the reputation is amazing?

Yeah, it does seem high, but if you look here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=805479

It's the norm for DO schools. Pretty much any DO school in a big city will run you something in the 40's. Realistically, baring a catastrophic collapse of the US healthcare system, I don't think we have too much to worry about. With the demographic trend of the baby boomers aging, the supply-demand curve favors a compensation structure that will facilitate payment of our loans.

anyone else find the tuition increase to $47,515 highly frustrating? is this school going to increase the fees on us every year?

I thought the 2011-2012 rate was $45k? how can they just increase it like that? I'm starting to lose some respect for this institution. I want to go into primary care so this latest email has me worrying about the $250K+ in loans. and western provides zero grants/scholarships.

Hey, by chance does anyone know how many they put on the regular alternate list?

This is some information I got that pertains to the people who got deferred acceptances. I called Tia asking her to confirm if they do pull people from the deferred acceptance lists, and she said they do. I then asked her whether we need to pay the $2000 deposit, and she said that we need to do that as well in order to get pulled off.

So it looks like this isn't your regular alternate list, but rather they'll pull you off this list if you're committed to waiting a year.

All I can say is blahhh that sucks >_<

anyone else find the tuition increase to $47,515 highly frustrating? is this school going to increase the fees on us every year?

I thought the 2011-2012 rate was $45k? how can they just increase it like that? I'm starting to lose some respect for this institution. I want to go into primary care so this latest email has me worrying about the $250K+ in loans. and western provides zero grants/scholarships.

Most schools increase their tuition every year, usually 1-2 thousand. I think last year Western was at $46k. Sad to say but rising tuition is just something you have to expect, especially with private schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I've been waitlisted (not deferred) since January and I don't know Western pulls anyone from the waitlist. It seems like the folks on the deferred list have priority and Western started the deferred list in February. Do you know of anyone who was on the regular waitlist and got in? I'm worried because it seems like I have almost zero chance of getting into this year's class. :(

Hi Everyone,

I've been waitlisted (not deferred) since January and I don't know Western pulls anyone from the waitlist. It seems like the folks on the deferred list have priority and Western started the deferred list in February. Do you know of anyone who was on the regular waitlist and got in? I'm worried because it seems like I have almost zero chance of getting into this year's class. :(

Hi Mango2020,

I have also been put on the regular waitlist since my interview in Feb. I am pretty bummed since Western is my top choice. But looking at last years thread, some people did get accepted off the regular waitlist. Although the regular wait-list students were accepted in late july/early august right before school started. i would say just hope for the best, send updates and let them know you are very interested. best of luck to you!

sooooooooooo.. just maybe revive this thread a bit. is anyone getting ready to start the 2011-2012 application cycle? :p

Hello all,

I got my deferred acceptance letter a few weeks back but haven't thought to post until now. Anyone else taking a year off and joining me in Fall 2012?
Congrats to all and best of luck to those in next years cycle!

Mac

Hello all,

I got my deferred acceptance letter a few weeks back but haven't thought to post until now. Anyone else taking a year off and joining me in Fall 2012?
Congrats to all and best of luck to those in next years cycle!

Mac

After a lot of thinking and waiting on other medical schools, I decided to take Western's Offer and attend school in Fall 2012! As much as I am bummed about not going in this fall, I look at this as an opportunity to do some extensive traveling and relaxing. :)

After a lot of thinking and waiting on other medical schools, I decided to take Western's Offer and attend school in Fall 2012! As much as I am bummed about not going in this fall, I look at this as an opportunity to do some extensive traveling and relaxing. :)

Congratz on your acceptance! Here are some recommendations:

http://offtrackplanet.com/inspiration/otps-top-10-backpacking-travel-destinations-for-2010/

I recommend the "adventurous" one: Hiking in the Himalayas. You have incredible scenery with multiple climatic zones, Maoist rebels guarding bridges, Tibetan culture, and incredible fellow travelers.

Alternatively, pull a Che and motorcycle through South America.

So, finally starting to get into gear about housing next year.. Filled out rm request form and am potentially looking to live in the claremont or chino area. Anyone have a good idea of what rent is like for a modest 2 bed in these areas? I'm hoping to find a safe neighborhood with some stuff to do in the surrounding area. I go crazy if I'm too cooped up in an apartment, let alone with no where to go outside!
I'll be doing my housing search out of state thus interested in knowing what's reasonable etc. judging from postings.

Hey boon 5,

I live in chino hills. If you're looking to find an apartment around Pomona...it's about 1000 for one bedroom, average. Chino hills is great, very family oriented and safe ( I run at night in my neighborhood) so is Claremont, la Verne and, San Dimas. Northern Pomona isn't so bad either, but Pomona itself (around school is a little sketchy). if you find places and want to know about the area, let me known :)

I'm starting this August and am looking for an apartment and roommate. Please PM me if you are interested. =]

Does Western have a MPH program with another school? I know Western itself doesn't have one but maybe it has one with another campus?

Thank god western waitlisted me or else i would have been out 2000 bucks! Just got into my state school :) Good luck guys.

Congratz on your acceptance! Here are some recommendations:

http://offtrackplanet.com/inspiration/otps-top-10-backpacking-travel-destinations-for-2010/

I recommend the "adventurous" one: Hiking in the Himalayas. You have incredible scenery with multiple climatic zones, Maoist rebels guarding bridges, Tibetan culture, and incredible fellow travelers.

Alternatively, pull a Che and motorcycle through South America.

Thank you! I plan on going to the Philippines for a bit and visiting family and also hoping to get some budget airlines to explore Asia more! I'm hoping this will help me relax and re-energize me for the next 4 years (and the rest of my life)!

Thank you! I plan on going to the Philippines for a bit and visiting family and also hoping to get some budget airlines to explore Asia more! I'm hoping this will help me relax and re-energize me for the next 4 years (and the rest of my life)!

Check out Bohol and the tarsiers. So cute and you won't be swamped by other tourists.

For all the people inquiring about the waitlist and deferred lists...it might start moving now, since May 15th just passed. MD schools will move to their waitlists as people start declining acceptances and consequently, so will DO schools. If you are worried about getting into Western (or anywhere else for that matter), sit tight for a few days! Last year they called people as late in June, as people shifted schools.

For all the people inquiring about the waitlist and deferred lists...it might start moving now, since May 15th just passed. MD schools will move to their waitlists as people start declining acceptances and consequently, so will DO schools. If you are worried about getting into Western (or anywhere else for that matter), sit tight for a few days! Last year they called people as late in June, as people shifted schools.

I got called by a couple schools at the beginning of July! It's really frustrating but don't give up hope! Keep showing your interest by calling/emailing/etc. :luck:

I just got a call today from Admissions and a seat opened up and they just offered me a spot for Class of 2015!!!!! :D :D

I was previously accepted for the class of 2016 and was anticipating waiting for one year! But I am much more happier to be starting sooner!

I just got a call today from Admissions and a seat opened up and they just offered me a spot for Class of 2015!!!!! :D :D

I was previously accepted for the class of 2016 and was anticipating waiting for one year! But I am much more happier to be starting sooner!

Pretty much captured everything I was going to say, so I'll just say ME TOO!

congrats on both your acceptances! you both must be extremely excited! it is good to see some movement now. hopefully there will be some movement on the regular alternate list for my sake :X

They called me today (I have a deferred acceptance) to offer a spot for the class of 2015. I politely declined because I have a lot to do in the next year already! I'm sure there are more out there like me.

I hope that spot goes to one of you who are waiting patiently! There does seem to be a lot of movement right now, so hold out hope! :) Good luck!!

yea I'm really surprised that they're pulling off the deferred acceptance list before the regular waitlist :confused:
i'm happy for those getting off some sort of a waitlist :thumbup:
just that the alternative waitlist is only valid for this year...

for those who got off the deferred list, did you guys provide any updates to them to get pulled off?

yea I'm really surprised that they're pulling off the deferred acceptance list before the regular waitlist :confused:

for those who got off the deferred list, did you guys provide any updates to them to get pulled off?

I emailed them a statement for the file that I was canceling my remaining interviews, and I sent them the paperwork and deposit for accepting the 2016 offer. No real update to give them, just a strong show of commitment.

I accepted their offer for class of 2016 quite early, and paid them the $2000 dollar deposit. Other than that, I didn't give them any updates.

Probably once they go through the deferred list of students they accepted, they will move onto their alternative/waitlists. Good luck to everyone waiting!

I accepted their offer for class of 2016 quite early, and paid them the $2000 dollar deposit. Other than that, I didn't give them any updates.

Probably once they go through the deferred list of students they accepted, they will move onto their alternative/waitlists. Good luck to everyone waiting!

yeah this is correct. but now I wanna know how many deferred and how many alternates are out there. to see if it will ever get to the alternates. wish they could provide that information.

the other school I'm waitlisted at gives every single info we need such as how many people, your rank, etc.

By chance, I read online that Western is the second most expensive medical school in the country.

So for those who have researched debt repayment, how hard will it be for primary care doctors to pay off their loans?

Are there any clinics in the SoCal area that gives free physicals? I haven't done the physical required for Western yet and I currently don't have insurance (in the process of renewing at the moment).

And how much does the necessary blood work cost?

Thanks.

By chance, I read online that Western is the second most expensive medical school in the country.

So for those who have researched debt repayment, how hard will it be for primary care doctors to pay off their loans?

While it may "technically" be the 2nd most expensive school at 44k for tuition a year or 72k (Tuition and everything else), it's around the same ball park as many other medical schools. With that said, there's a lot of options to help pay off those scary loans. There's some programs that help with loan repayments by serving in an under-served community, or military options. I've also read somewhere that taking out these loans and being in around 280k loans is manageable but it's important to be smart with money.

i saw somewhere that azcom's is $50k so that would put western 3rd?

Are there any clinics in the SoCal area that gives free physicals? I haven't done the physical required for Western yet and I currently don't have insurance (in the process of renewing at the moment).

And how much does the necessary blood work cost?

Thanks.

Tuition for Western isn't the most expensive; UIC and Temple OOS can push mid 50k to low 60k, for example. It's just that Western has much less endowed funds for scholarships, so that may contribute to higher student indebtedness for Western grads.

If you're around Santa Monica, Westside Family Health Clinic offers the physical and all 5 blood titers for about $120 b/c it's one of the few sliding-fee scale providers in the region. I've also been to COMP's sliding-fee Montclair Clinic, and they have reasonable prices too.

so no one knows of anyone who has been pulled off the regular alternate list? for those who havent, and are reapplying for the 2012 school year.. do we need all new letters of rec and all that jazz? i really dont want to take another year off, so im just praying for the best.

I was accepted off the deferred list today for this summer's class! I interviewed on the last interview day in March. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! Keep showing interest!

sounds like western is moving the deferred list people first, i guess chances for a regular wait list person is quite grim now :(

i really hope not. i didnt even know there were two different lists u could be put on. during orientation, they explictly said you could be accepted, waitlisted, on hold, or rejected. i heard that waitlisted applicants have a good shot at receiving a seat.. crossing fingers. =(

that's what i thought too, i didn't know they can accept people for next year...

yeah, but i was reading the discussion for last year's thread.. and a lot of the people on the regular waiting list got pulled in starting july. so hopefully we're not out of luck yet.

but if we dont hear anything back, is everyone going to just reapply? are we expected to have new LOR's and stuff? bc ive been out of undergrad for a few years now.. so i dont see how they would expect us to get new letters from old professors...