Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's 7:30pm EST (so.. 4:30 in Pomona?) and I've been trying to call the admissions office for the last hour but have been getting a message telling me that the call cannot be completed or a busy tone. Did an earthquake just hit near Pomona?

I notice that Indonesia just had a 7.0..

Members don't see this ad.

It's 7:30pm EST (so.. 4:30 in Pomona?) and I've been trying to call the admissions office for the last hour but have been getting a message telling me that the call cannot be completed or a busy tone. Did an earthquake just hit near Pomona?

I notice that Indonesia just had a 7.0..

They had a power outage today apparently. I just heard the message in my voicemail. Not quite sure why they had to let me know about it though....

Apparently a car hit a telephone pole down the street from school today and the side of school with the admissions building lost power. Because of that, the facilities manager (Brett Boston) sent out a recorded message to everyone because the buildings affected would be closed until tomorrow (Wednesday).

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently a car hit a telephone pole down the street from school today and the side of school with the admissions building lost power. Because of that, the facilities manager (Brett Boston) sent out a recorded message to everyone because the buildings affected would be closed until tomorrow (Wednesday).

Ah. Thanks to both of you (Blackadder and Siggy).

Is there a thread for WCOMP 2015? How about a Facebook group? If not, should we create one for all the deferred acceptances?

Does anybody know when the school year starts / when M1's should be on campus? I haven't received the post-deposit materials yet, but I've got to get my housing situation here in Michigan sorted out first.

Does anybody know when the school year starts / when M1's should be on campus? I haven't received the post-deposit materials yet, but I've got to get my housing situation here in Michigan sorted out first.

Orientation is August 2nd and is mandatory for all M1's. Classes start August 9th, so I'd say get to SoCal by mid/late-July. Obviously if you're gonna do SMSPP or ISAC, you'd have to move to the area in June.

For what it's worth, I just gave up my spot in the Northwest track. Good luck to everybody who is still waiting!

For all of you who have been deferred to next year, it's not all bad news... After having pretty much all my weekends devoted to studying for impending monday tests, I would say take that year and enjoy every bit of freedom, trust me you will miss it once in med school... go travel, go party... get it out of your system before western sucks all the free time out of you!
Ok back to studying, another weekend where I spent 30 hours studying!

Good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone! I'm just going to repost my post from facebook

Hi there. We're a group of 3 3rd year DO students looking for 1 more to come live with us. We're planning to live in either upland or pomona depending on price and availability. Your rent should be expected to be around $400-$500. Since you're living with us, we can give you all our awesome notes, awesome study guides, awesome board review stuff, ways to beat down medical school, ways to party and study and still do great! Here's a starter free-bie, don't buy the medical equipment from western (aside from the stethoscope) seeing as it's ridiculously expensive and unnecessary.

The house we're potentially looking at will be at least 2000 sq, you'll get your own bedroom, and the house will be at very oldest a 2002 model. We're looking more for people who are non-gunners and you guys, being the DO2014 (the party class), I'm sure will all be great!

Right now the living situation is 2 guys and 1 girl and we're pretty relaxed and outgoing, but also very neat. We don't care if you're a guy or girl, but just a non-gunner. We're looking to start rent on June 1st and we'll take care of all the paper work and leg work for this place. A far as the other furniture, we have 2 couches, washer and dryer, coffe table, dining set, and we're going to most likely get a 42 plasma to throw in the den.

Congratulations to all of your NEW MEDICAL STUDENTS!!!!

Thank you so much! Lol, I found your post very hilarious, especially the mention of partying twice and the "no-gunner" policy!!

Have a wonderful time on the wards, thanks as well for the freebie tips about purchasing medical equipment, and congrats to you, too, for finishing your first two years!

Last edited:
So apprently the waitlist moves through June and up to the week before orientation. At least thats what the office replied back to me. But I thought you needed to pick a school mid May-ish? Is this not how it works? :scared:

So apprently the waitlist moves through June and up to the week before orientation. At least thats what the office replied back to me. But I thought you needed to pick a school mid May-ish? Is this not how it works? :scared:

The May 15th thou-may-hold-only-one-deposit date is for allopathic schools. AACOMAS, unfortunately, doesn't have such a thing. As a result, people get into schools as late as the day school starts.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair, the only magical thing that happens on May 15th is that the domino reaction known as wait list movement starts. Student 1 drops acceptance from instution A. Student 2 has an acceptance at B and is waitlisted at A get's pulled up. Student 3 has an acceptance at C and waitlisted at B gets called up. Repeate ad naseum and you now have students at MD schools getting the call off the waitlist 1 week before classes. If anything, it's less troublesome at DO schools since while you can hold as many acceptances as you want, at this stage in the game that's $2,000 per acceptance, which at most places is not refundable. However exploding offers have their own issues.

It sure would be nice to have an idea of how many people are deferred admits or alternates. Of course, we also don't have any idea of how many people have moved on even if they were originally deferred or put on the alternate list.

If anything, it's less troublesome at DO schools since while you can hold as many acceptances as you want

I would almost say that's more troublesome. Applicants that hold on to multiple deposits would, using my logic, gum everything up.

Student A holds spots at School X and Y.
Student B holds X but wants Y.
Student C holds Y but wants X.

Resolution:
Student A chooses School X, relinquishing Y's offer.
Student B goes to Y, opening X.
Student C gets X, opens Y.
Yay!

On the other hand, whereas the MD process has been doing this domino thing since May 15, DO applicants (students B and C) are boned until student A makes up their mind. It's all speculation on my part, though.

Plus, everybody has to make huge expenditures on deposits even if they only take one. Lame.

Oh well. It works out eventually, I suppose. I'm getting stuff set up for matriculation right now, and I can't imagine trying to do all of this with just a week's notice. Just finding an apartment would be such a pain.

This was posted on the COMP2014 facebook group, but I thought I'd try it here:

Can anyone comment about the following locations?

• College Park Apartments
  • The Helix at Univeristy Village
  • Village Oaks Apartments
  • Village Crossing at Chino Hills
  • Rolling Ridge Apartments
  • Ontario Town Square Apartments
  • Plum Tree Apartments
  • Bonita Terrace Apartments
  • Villa Del Sol
  • Indian Hill Villas

Any waitlist movement lately?! Still haven't gotten anything from them.

Hey, have any of the accepted students received their papers for financial aid yet or know when to expect them to come in?

Hey, have any of the accepted students received their papers for financial aid yet or know when to expect them to come in?

Log into Banweb and then there should be info there on how to accept your FA offer.

I haven't received anything either and my banweb doesn't have any award information. I just sent in my medical paperwork yesterday. Do we not get our financial aid until that is processed?

I haven't received anything either and my banweb doesn't have any award information. I just sent in my medical paperwork yesterday. Do we not get our financial aid until that is processed?

No, I got the email about financial aid although I have not yet sent in the medical paperwork. If you don't get an email soon, it would be a good idea to call the financial aid office.

If you have not heard from fin aid, I would definitely call. I hadn't called b/c everyone kept saying they hadn't heard anything, but I called today, and low and behold, apparently the question asking if i was male or female was not marked so my fafsa was considered incomplete.

tuition is now at 45,500....wow

Yeah.. I read somewhere that they want it raised to 48K by 2012. Don't quote me though.

Tuition is one of the main things that's keeping me from just saying yes to this place, especially since interest is just going to amplify the hurt years down the line.

EDIT: I was just skimming through the CIB... the tuition stated in there is $41K. 10% increase in one year. Lame.

Last edited:
If you have not heard from fin aid, I would definitely call. I hadn't called b/c everyone kept saying they hadn't heard anything, but I called today, and low and behold, apparently the question asking if i was male or female was not marked so my fafsa was considered incomplete.

This happened to me too, which seems strange cuz why wouldn't I have answered that question? hmm... anyway I fixed it. How long after you fixed it did you get your financial aid email? I am planning on doing ISAC so I'm getting a little anxious.

Mandatory attendance and Professional attire for next year???????

Is that true?

Sigh... well... this took longer than I honestly expected to reach here. First off, let me start with as saying that NOTHING IS SET IN STONE YET. This first came out last Wednesday at the Dean's Town Hall meeting (which regularly happen) and both were discussed for the majority of the time. We had a student body meeting today so that the student government could get our input and take our concerns to the administration in regards to both issues. We are considering future classes instead of just brushing it off as saying, "Well, gee, maybe we can get grandfathered out of this." The class of 2013 has the backs of the class of 2014.

Dress code: Not much is known about what the actual requirement is. There's a lot of rumors and conjecture regarding what the administration is pushing for (for those that don't know, Dean Adams was a rear admiral in the navy. Hence he puts a lot of emphasis on professionalism, including appearance). However, one of the huge issues in regards to a stricter dress code (let's be honest, it's more of a strict dress code than uniforms. Technically, there already is a dress code, but it's not strict and... well... not really enforced either) is the lack of locker space (our lockers are not appropriate for storing clothes) and changing rooms (remember, DO school means manipulation class. Also medical school means gross anatomy).

Mandatory attendance: Dr. Thrush and Dr. Pumerantz are talking with us next week about the curriculum changes for next year. What we were told in regards to attendance last week is that they want to make more lectures mandatory.* However, we were also told that they were looking at making these more interactive instead of forcing us to come to lecture so that they can talk at us. I know, personally, there are a few professors that I think are awesome... at double speed on Apreso (our lecture capture program).

*Technically all instructional periods are mandatory already, however the majority of classes lack an enforcement mechanism. Read the catalog. I'm honestly willing to bet that most schools have some sort of similar clause.

This happened to me too, which seems strange cuz why wouldn't I have answered that question? hmm... anyway I fixed it. How long after you fixed it did you get your financial aid email? I am planning on doing ISAC so I'm getting a little anxious.

Fin aid office said about 3 days after I fixed it. I fixed it and it was processed on Friday and I just called and they still hadn't gone in and released the hold on it (or whatever they do). She did it over the phone and said the award email should be sent in a couple days. So I would def call again and make sure they know you fixed your fafsa.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how many people have turned in their deposits for the "accepted" deferred list. It seems like Western finished offering acceptances and deferred acceptances much earlier this year and I guess I am just hoping that they will actually get to the alternate list.

any movement in alternate list?:xf:

Not that I know of. I talked to admissions this past week, and they said the class is full, and doesn't seem to be moving at this point. But hope is always alive and well, yeah?:xf:

Daze - I know that at least one person has gotten off of the deferred list since interviews ended.

how long of a summer break will we get after MS1? looking at the academic calendar it looks like classes end June 14. Anyone know if we start back in August or soon after classes end?

how long of a summer break will we get after MS1? looking at the academic calendar it looks like classes end June 14. Anyone know if we start back in August or soon after classes end?

Where's the link for the academic calendar?

Just a general question guys..How far of a drive is Rancho Monte Vista from campus? Will it be too far for a first year student?

Thanks in advance

Sigh... well... this took longer than I honestly expected to reach here. First off, let me start with as saying that NOTHING IS SET IN STONE YET. This first came out last Wednesday at the Dean's Town Hall meeting (which regularly happen) and both were discussed for the majority of the time. We had a student body meeting today so that the student government could get our input and take our concerns to the administration in regards to both issues. We are considering future classes instead of just brushing it off as saying, "Well, gee, maybe we can get grandfathered out of this." The class of 2013 has the backs of the class of 2014.

Dress code: Not much is known about what the actual requirement is. There's a lot of rumors and conjecture regarding what the administration is pushing for (for those that don't know, Dean Adams was a rear admiral in the navy. Hence he puts a lot of emphasis on professionalism, including appearance). However, one of the huge issues in regards to a stricter dress code (let's be honest, it's more of a strict dress code than uniforms. Technically, there already is a dress code, but it's not strict and... well... not really enforced either) is the lack of locker space (our lockers are not appropriate for storing clothes) and changing rooms (remember, DO school means manipulation class. Also medical school means gross anatomy).

Mandatory attendance: Dr. Thrush and Dr. Pumerantz are talking with us next week about the curriculum changes for next year. What we were told in regards to attendance last week is that they want to make more lectures mandatory.* However, we were also told that they were looking at making these more interactive instead of forcing us to come to lecture so that they can talk at us. I know, personally, there are a few professors that I think are awesome... at double speed on Apreso (our lecture capture program).

*Technically all instructional periods are mandatory already, however the majority of classes lack an enforcement mechanism. Read the catalog. I'm honestly willing to bet that most schools have some sort of similar clause.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify Siggy!

We haven't heard anything definitive yet.

Dr. Thrush told the DPMs that classes would not be mandatory, but they would rather provide incentives for us to go to class i.e. quizzes worth points in the large group sessions. Not sure about the DOs??

Apparently they just tried the new curriculum, just for the GI class, with the 2nd year DOs, and there were quite a few that didn't attend the small or large groups sessions.

Any thoughts form current DOs about the new curriculum? It sounds interesting...

I think it is going to be a positive change,
in stead of mounds of info not focused and you having to pick and choose what you think is important for the test/boards, you will have to research the case before class and then attend the large section where you will have a graded quiz like in anatomy kind of. The lecture will be focused. You will be assigned to a 10 person group to prep for the cases. The thought behind that is that in life you won't get to pick all the people you work with so you have to make it work. Same applies here.
This means less class time so more time to study or more time to do other things too.
Many school offer this format and this is great for boards because you end up learning a lot the first time around so when getting ready for boards less reviewing.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details!

Dr. Thrush told the DPMs that classes would not be mandatory, but they would rather provide incentives for us to go to class i.e. quizzes worth points in the large group sessions. Not sure about the DOs??

We were told that, but I take quizzes as being an enforcement mechanism for attendance. Sure, no one forced anyone to go take the quizzes in Head and Neck Anatomy, they were just worth 10% of the grade.

Hi all,

Although the administrators of WesternU may show you guys about how good the program, there are many issues and discontent among fellow classmates about certain policies.

Dress Code:

Although there were tons of discontent in not wanting a dress code and being able to be comfortable studying for 8-10 hours at school or whatever time, Dean Adams has already made up his mind and is set on enforcing a dress code no matter how much the student body fights back. At our town hall meeting (where students meet with the dean to talk about policies), the dean did not give us student a choice of whether we like the idea of a dress code, but gave us an ultimatum that we either enforce the current dress code (with slacks, collar shirt, etc.) or dress like professionals (tie, slacks, etc.). The agenda was already set by the Dean. Although nothing is "set in stone", it pretty much is set. The dean already made up his mind and is just "listening to our concerns" and doing nothing about it.

Curriculum change:

This raises a ton of controversy among the students. This is the first time WesternU has is going to do problem-based learning (PBL). On paper, it looks really good. Good memory retention for students, more full-time faculity, more time to study for boards, less class time, etc. There are a lot of pros for changing it to PBL.

On the flip side, what worries students the most is the fact that this is the FIRST time WesternU is going PBL. USC dentistry went PBL and their students did worse than previous years on boards. With that in mind, Interprofessional education (IPE) currculum was a new course which was based off PBL and that was A COMPLETE FAIL. It was okay if IPE course was a failure because that didn't affect board scores. However, if our PBL curriculum turns out to be what happened to USC dentistry and IPE course, you'll see a lot of pissed off students especially since the old system help results in good board scores. The faculity assures us that the new curriculum is not like IPE. Our faculity also told us the same thing for IPE. To add to this fire, we were told this MAY that we will be seeing a whole new curriculum NEVER done before. This has been a huge shock to the student body, seeing that this is so sudden. However, the administrators assure us that they have been planning to change the curriculum 2 years ago. This raises another question. If they were planning to change the curriculum 2 years ago, then why were the students not informed before they made a commitment to study at WesternU and why tell us in May? Many of the DO2013 class feel like guinia pigs being tested on and majority feel that this is WesternU trying to cut back on their cost by reducing faculity and decreasing class time. However, each year, the tuition is raised by 5%. It is glaring obvious that our tuition is going towards us.

Class size:
For those who expected a class size to be 220 students per professor, think again. The DO2014 class will share classrooms with dentistry, DPM, and Optometry for majority of their classes with some exceptions. So you are looking at a student to teacher ratio of 500:1. Feels like college when it shouldn't be. Good luck trying to study w/ that ratio. However, this ratio holds up till anatomy. When you begin MCBM, the class size will die down because most students will not show up to class. But however, that can definitely affect how well you do in anatomy and in the long run, it can affect how you do in other courses since anatomy is like the fundamentals to medicine. Recommendation: DO THE ISAC PROGRAM!

I apologize if I offended anyone in any matter, but this is the real deal, not sugar-coated in anyway that students DO2013 at COMP is facing. These are JUST A FEW issues, there are WAY MORE.

Last edited:
hey guys, I would like some advice on this issue:
I got accepted to WesternU for the class of 2015. I did not want to wait a year, and I took the acceptance at AZCOM for 2014 class.

However, admissions called me today and asked if I would accept a seat in the 2014 class. I absolutely love AZCOM. The only thing is I live in Cali and have family here, although AZ is not too far (and considering med school will be VERY time consuming, i will not be seeing famly that often anyway).

But I'd like some input from you guys about what you like about this school?

Hi all,

Curriculum change:

This raises a ton of controversy among the students. This is the first time WesternU has is going to do problem-based learning (PBL). On paper, it looks really good. Good memory retention for students, more full-time faculity, more time to study for boards, less class time, etc. There are a lot of pros for changing it to PBL.

How did you learn about these changes? Have they publicized it? I am about to start ISAC in three weeks but I have no interest in spending two years at a PBL school. Uh-oh... Help!

Hi all,

Although the administrators of WesternU may show you guys about how good the program, there are many issues and discontent among fellow classmates about certain policies.

Dress Code:

Although there were tons of discontent in not wanting a dress code and being able to be comfortable studying for 8-10 hours at school or whatever time, Dean Adams has already made up his mind and is set on enforcing a dress code no matter how much the student body fights back. At our town hall meeting (where students meet with the dean to talk about policies), the dean did not give us student a choice of whether we like the idea of a dress code, but gave us an ultimatum that we either enforce the current dress code (with slacks, collar shirt, etc.) or dress like professionals (tie, slacks, etc.). The agenda was already set by the Dean. Although nothing is "set in stone", it pretty much is set. The dean already made up his mind and is just "listening to our concerns" and doing nothing about it.
Um, the current dress code is not "slacks, collar shirts, etc." If you went to the SGA meeting regarding the changes you would have known that (alternatively, you're lying on purpose).

During classroom lectures, students are required to wear clothing that is in good repair (no patches). Footwear is required at all times. Dress for skills labs should not be worn outside the laboratory area. Tank tops, halters, scrubsuits and headgear (hats/helmets) are not to be worn in the classrooms. Shorts may be worn, but no more than 3” above the knee. Hair, beards, and mustaches must be clean, net, trimmed at all times. Students are expected to conform to the commonly acceptable social standards of personal hygiene.
http://www.westernu.edu/bin/registrar/2009-2010-catalog/catalog-2009-10-overview.pdf
Pg. 28.

Now, mind you, even that's not enforced, as seen by the number of people wearing shorts shorter than the limit or hats...

Curriculum change:

On the flip side, what worries students the most is the fact that this is the FIRST time WesternU is going PBL. USC dentistry went PBL and their students did worse than previous years on boards. With that in mind, Interprofessional education (IPE) currculum was a new course which was based off PBL and that was A COMPLETE FAIL. It was okay if IPE course was a failure because that didn't affect board scores. However, if our PBL curriculum turns out to be what happened to USC dentistry and IPE course, you'll see a lot of pissed off students especially since the old system help results in good board scores. The faculity assures us that the new curriculum is not like IPE. Our faculity also told us the same thing for IPE. To add to this fire, we were told this MAY that we will be seeing a whole new curriculum NEVER done before. This has been a huge shock to the student body, seeing that this is so sudden. However, the administrators assure us that they have been planning to change the curriculum 2 years ago. This raises another question. If they were planning to change the curriculum 2 years ago, then why were the students not informed before they made a commitment to study at WesternU and why tell us in May? Many of the DO2013 class feel like guinia pigs being tested on and majority feel that this is WesternU trying to cut back on their cost by reducing faculity and decreasing class time. However, each year, the tuition is raised by 5%. It is glaring obvious that our tuition is going towards us.

First off, bringing IPE into this is a pretty dishonest way of discussing this. IPE was painful not because it was IPE, but because of the structure and the specific cases. It's very much an apples to oranges comparison. Similarly, from what was described, we're not going to a PBL curriculum. It's more of a systems based curriculum with PBL features. If you don't understand the difference, ask the vet students who are on a true PBL curriculum. Similarly, according to Dr. Pumerantz, other schools have had success with this before (I don't remember which school he mentioned and I don't particularly care enough to find it on Apreso either), so claiming that this is a "whole new curriculum NEVER done before" is not what we were told. So can you vouch for the curriculum at all medical schools?

Hey, they could have always just not told us. After all, the world didn't come to an end when we weren't told in advance (short of being on the calendar) of the POPS exercise during neuro, which seems like a mini version of what was described.

I apologize if I offended anyone in any matter, but this is the real deal, not sugar-coated in anyway that students DO2013 at COMP is facing. These are JUST A FEW issues, there are WAY MORE.

Real deal? More like hyperbole. Are there questions that should be answered? Yes. However the truth lies somewhere between the "everything will be perfect" line from the administration and your "ZOMG, the sky is falling" paranoia.

Class size:
For those who expected a class size to be 220 students per professor, think again. The DO2014 class will share classrooms with dentistry, DPM, and Optometry for majority of their classes with some exceptions. So you are looking at a student to teacher ratio of 500:1. Feels like college when it shouldn't be. Good luck trying to study w/ that ratio.

The auditoriums only have 356 seats, so how do you figure there are 500 students in the lecture hall at once?

I'm also curious as to why college shouldn't, ummm, feel like college? Furthermore, I'm a bit baffled as to why 220 or 356 or 500 students should make a difference with your studying? Once you're in a lecture hall with more than a few dozen students you're not going really have a conversation with the lecturer, and I'm confused as to how additional bodies in the room make an iota of difference as to whether or not you pay attention in lecture. If you're going to be distracted, you're going to be distracted by 20 other people, or 200 people or 2000 people.

Um, the current dress code is not "slacks, collar shirts, etc." If you went to the SGA meeting regarding the changes you would have known that (alternatively, you're lying on purpose).

http://www.westernu.edu/bin/registrar/2009-2010-catalog/catalog-2009-10-overview.pdf
Pg. 28.

That is the dress code? Seriously? And people weren't following that? The dress code basically reads like "don't look like a hobo." I mean if the Dean decides to make people wear professional attire everyday b/c some people wanted to wear short shorts or come to class in torn clothes or looking disheveled, well, it is hard to see how people can complain (well, I suppose we incoming students can complain about the slovenly-looking older students who caused this). Oh noes! I can't dress like a slob at school anymore!!