Western 1st years! - How are you liking your first year so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtseselala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Western is one of my choices for podiatry school. I have been accepted to Western, CSPM, and Kent. I am from CA (up north) and trying to decide which school is best for me. I know that Western is known to have a more "tough" curriculum compared to all the other pod schools (so I have heard) How so and would you agree? I know medical school is going to be extremely tough, but do you feel like you have time for yourself?

Also, How supportive is the faculty at Western, tutoring, student/classamate support etc. Which specific classes do you take with the other programs? (I forgot to ask during the interview)

So basically... how's your first year so far?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Western is one of my choices for podiatry school. I have been accepted to Western, CSPM, and Kent. I am from CA (up north) and trying to decide which school is best for me. I know that Western is known to have a more "tough" curriculum compared to all the other pod schools (so I have heard) How so and would you agree? I know medical school is going to be extremely tough, but do you feel like you have time for yourself?

Also, How supportive is the faculty at Western, tutoring, student/classamate support etc. Which specific classes do you take with the other programs? (I forgot to ask during the interview)

Thanks!

At this point the best idea is probably to contact the school and ask them to hook you up to a current student. Most schools are more than happy to do this. Then you can ask all the questions you forgot to ask earlier.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point the best idea is probably to contact the school and ask them to hook you up to a current student. Most schools are more than happy to do this. Then you can ask all the questions you forgot to ask earlier.

Ok, Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Thanks!

Hi,
I am currently a 4th year student at Western, so I can try to help answer some of your questions. Yes, Western does have a reputation for having a "tough" curriculum, but it is medical school, you are going to have to work hard no matter which school you go to. I think that it gets this reputation because we do take a lot of credits and most of our classes are with the osteopathic students. I agree that it is tough, I can't compare it to other schools because I didn't go through their curriculum, but there is a lot of support at Western and it is manageable . Our class is very close and we helped each other out along the way with study materials, study groups and with life outside of school. I feel like most of the classes are this way because we have smaller classes. We take all of our classes the first 2 years with the DO students, with the exception of the Podiatric Medicine Principles (PMP), which is 1 afternoon a week while they are doing their manipulations class, and a another small class the first year. You will do all of your clinical rotations with UCLA, Loma Linda and Western medical students at the hospitals, so you get a great, well rounded education at Western.

First year is going to be difficult no matter where you go because it is a big transition from undergrad. The expectations are higher and the course loads are much more difficult. The most important skill to learn early on is time management, once you get this down, there is time for yourself. In fact, my advice is to make it a priority, you will always have something to study and review, but it is important for your success to make time for yourself, what ever makes you happy (unless it is watching TV 5 hours a day). You can PM me if you want more information, hope this helps and best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
I am currently a 4th year student at Western, so I can try to help answer some of your questions. Yes, Western does have a reputation for having a "tough" curriculum, but it is medical school, you are going to have to work hard no matter which school you go to. I think that it gets this reputation because we do take a lot of credits and most of our classes are with the osteopathic students. I agree that it is tough, I can't compare it to other schools because I didn't go through their curriculum, but there is a lot of support at Western and it is manageable . Our class is very close and we helped each other out along the way with study materials, study groups and with life outside of school. I feel like most of the classes are this way because we have smaller classes. We take all of our classes the first 2 years with the DO students, with the exception of the Podiatric Medicine Principles (PMP), which is 1 afternoon a week while they are doing their manipulations class, and a another small class the first year. You will do all of your clinical rotations with UCLA, Loma Linda and Western medical students at the hospitals, so you get a great, well rounded education at Western.

First year is going to be difficult no matter where you go because it is a big transition from undergrad. The expectations are higher and the course loads are much more difficult. The most important skill to learn early on is time management, once you get this down, there is time for yourself. In fact, my advice is to make it a priority, you will always have something to study and review, but it is important for your success to make time for yourself, what ever makes you happy (unless it is watching TV 5 hours a day). You can PM me if you want more information, hope this helps and best of luck with your decision.

Thank you so much! PM'ed :)

Hello,

Thanks!

Hi,

I am currently a first year at westernU. Yes the curriculum is challenging, we have shared curriculum with the DOs which means we take every class that they do. Our curriculum is probably tougher than most of the other schools, but not to the point where it should affect your decision. Its not like a student could perform poorly here but do well at another school. Where westernU shines is its clinical education. WesternU students generally perform at a higher level out on rotations than students from other schools, and this can have an impact on the types of residencies you will be able to get. However, the comprehensive medical and clinical education come at the expense of the podiatric education. I have heard that Western students are generally weaker with actual podiatry in the beginning, and must put in some extra effort in order to get up to speed out on rotations. I personally think the tradeoff is worth it, but not everyone feels the same way I do. How much time you have for yourself depends on how competitive you are and how quickly you are able to learn. Some students have to study constantly and are just barely able to pass, and others are able to take a few days off here and there. Regardless of what school you choose, you should enter with the mindset that your education comes first for the next 7 years. The faculty are very supportive if you seek them out. I have not used the tutoring services but I heard that they are helpful. With the exception of the podiatry classes, every class you take will be with the DOs (anatomy, MCBM, IDIT, neuro, and all of the organ systems). There is also a class where we get together with all of the other colleges like vet, nursing, DO, PA, dental, and PT to go through a case, but it's one of those filler classes that just eats a few hours out of your day once a week.

Overall my first year is going great. I'm very happy with my choice to come to Western. It's a lot of work but its doable if committed.

Reactions: 1 users