Realistic Study Schedule (First Year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hours Per Day on Average + Weekends

• 1-2 Hours

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 3-4 Hours

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • 5-6 Hours

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • 8+ Hours

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Everyday

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No Weekends

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

sad1980s

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting at Kent in a week and looking for on average what is a workable study schedule. Obviously things are a little strange since it's basically all online. I'm curious what people's study schedule is on average that are able to maintain a solid GPA (based on residency requirements I'd put that at above a 3.0).

I planned to treat it like a job and study from 8 or 9 AM until around 4 or 5 PM depending on other obligations during weekdays, and take weekends off other than Anki. If things are looking rough I'd add weekends but hopefully they can remain mostly free.

I realize that everyone learns differently, I'm just looking to get a general idea from people that have been here already.

I was fairly average in undergrad (3.4 science/3.5 ish overall) for reference. Made a poll for the hell of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though classes will be virtual, starting early in the morning and staying away from social media are two ways I stayed on target in keeping the GPAs high and having enough time for gym/eating out. Also, limit your club-related activities for the first year; study more for the first few exams and change your studying habits from there. Take advice from senior students in your program, but be able to adapt if things are not going your way. Ask questions during lectures and seek help early on if needed.

I put in 5-6 hours per day after attending whatever was mandatory, took Fri evening off, and studied more on the weekends if there was an upcoming exam and for the weekly revisions (8-12 pm), worked out 4-5 times per week (mostly cardio). It's def possible.

Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! I like your strategy of treating it like a job. I also didn't study on the weekends unless I had an exam coming up the following week (which was every week during 2nd semester for us, so it depends on your school's curriculum). The best thing I did was learn how to make effective, high-yield Anki cards. Some students will share their decks, and you can use theirs, but I highly recommend making your own. Be disciplined, don't burn yourself out, and be flexible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Even though classes will be virtual, starting early in the morning and staying away from social media are two ways I stayed on target in keeping the GPAs high and having enough time for gym/eating out. Also, limit your club-related activities for the first year; study more for the first few exams and change your studying habits from there. Take advice from senior students in your program, but be able to adapt if things are not going your way. Ask questions during lectures and seek help early on if needed.

I put in 5-6 hours per day after attending whatever was mandatory, took Fri evening off, and studied more on the weekends if there was an upcoming exam and for the weekly revisions (8-12 pm), worked out 4-5 times per week (mostly cardio). It's def possible.

Good luck!

Excellent advice and extremely similar to mine, only difference is that cardio/workout time was time spent with my wife and a daughter. I have a very high GPA and this schedule was basically mine. The trick is to actually study smart not hard. Focus on finding how to make the material stick - that will be key. I was never the kind of guy to just "re-watch" stuff, not efficient if you take good notes the 1st time through, why bother a 2nd time through (unless you need a good explanation, then fast forward to the specific spot).

EDIT: ALWAYS give yourself time to DE-STRESS. If your mind isn't there, you're not studying efficiently and hence, wasting you time. 3 Hours of GOOD studying is wayyyy better than 6 hours of crappy studying.

Reactions: 1 users