West Virginia Almost Heaven?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beach bum

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any decent opportunities for anesthesia in WV?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email from WVU, sounds like they’re recruiting. Not sure whether it’s decent.

The department used to be very strong with their first division chair moving to be chairman at U of Miami for 28 years and the first full time chair of the independent department became the chairman at NYU for 27 years. They mentored a generation of WVU students to go into anesthesiology when the specialty was ignored by American medical students including James Cottrell who was chairman at SUNY Downstate from 1979-2018. I could fill a page with noted anesthesiologists of the 1960's- 1980's who got their start in West Virginia. The department had fallen on recent hard times but seems to have found energy under a new chair.

Full disclosure. I grew up in WV and didn't marry my cousin. ;) Entering medical school, I knew nothing about the specialty but the charisma and mentorship of their faculty helped me see the light. I left WV for residency and decided to come back in 2000 after 12 years. After a year, I left and never returned. WV is mostly populated on the periphery with the exception of Charleston which is centrally isolated.

Reactions: 3 users

The department used to be very strong with their first division chair moving to be chairman at U of Miami for 28 years and the first full time chair of the independent department became the chairman at NYU for 27 years. They mentored a generation of WVU students to go into anesthesiology when the specialty was ignored by American medical students including James Cottrell who was chairman at SUNY Downstate from 1979-2018. I could fill a page with noted anesthesiologists of the 1960's- 1980's who got their start in West Virginia. The department had fallen on recent hard times but seems to have found energy under a new chair.

Full disclosure. I grew up in WV and didn't marry my cousin. ;) Entering medical school, I knew nothing about the specialty but the charisma and mentorship of their faculty helped me see the light. I left WV for residency and decided to come back in 2000 after 12 years. After a year, I left and never returned. WV is mostly populated on the periphery with the exception of Charleston which is centrally isolated.
Actually the email solicitation for WVUI received is one of the things that “peaked my interest”. I remember that in the past it was a strong program. Too bad it deteriorated. Just not sure I am at the point in my career that I would find it that attractive.