WES totally sucks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

concern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish this idiotic thing never existed. My docs were received by them like a fortnight ago, still they haven't even acknowledged receipt...let alone started the evaluation. I was hoping for the evaluation to have been received by the unis by now. These ***#$ have as **** a customer care as possible and for some reason they try to keep the email address a secret...when you do somehow get it, they take ages to respond, if at all they do. Call them and they won't pick up while your international call bill keeps shooting. Have spent over 100 bucks on calls that haven't been answered. 14 days and I have no idea where my documents are. Gawd, I hate these guys. Missed 2 unis already.

Members don't see this ad.

guys what should I do? I'm so angry, they're not even responding to mails. I feel like crying.

guys what should I do? I'm so angry, they're not even responding to mails. I feel like crying.

Sounds like a sticky situation...

Are some of your app's deadlines approaching - is that part of your frustration?

...or just the lack of customer service?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Frazier, the dec 1 deadline of two of my top choices have passed. I couldn't apply. Deadlines of all of them are approaching. harvard: dec 15. the rest: jan. plus i don't want my documents to reach just hours before the deadline...'cause i know early application matters.:(

I initially used AACRAO (because they were cheaper than WES). Sent my documents by e-mail (scanned them in) on 1 Oct, thinking I was way early (deadlines 1, 15 Dec). Got a quick confirmation (looks automated) by e-mail that they received my documents. Then there was a long period of waiting and I e-mailed them several times - each time I was reassured that it was being done and would nearly be complete. I was about to give up on them so I e-mailed the uni I was applying to telling them of my plight (in advance of missing the deadline) and what step I was taking to resolve the situation - i.e. that I was going to use WES as well in case AACRAO didn't work out.

A few days after that, AACRAO confirmed that the had completed the evaluation and posted it out on 12 Nov. Felt relieved, but poorer. So far, my uni hasn't confirmed receiving the transcripts though ... (I'm hoping it's just because they are busy).

In the meantime, WES sends out an e-mail to me (16 Nov) saying that they cannot do the transcripts because what my uni sent was not detailed enough. I did MBBS - it's not the kind of degree that GPAs are calculated for. I replied immediately to [dr at wes.org] to tell them this (after confirming with my original uni that there is really no more detailed transcript available). I have, up to today, not heard from them - not even acknowledging my reply.

Once I get confirmation that the uni I'm applying to has received my AACRAO transcripts, I intend to ask for a refund from WES.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd recommend either - I was quite stressed out by AACRAO initially, but one thing they did do right - they replied my e-mail queries promptly, even though the reply did not sound convincingly reassuring. What I would recommend, for anyone applying in the next intake, is to sort out their foreign transcripts months - perhaps 6 months - in advance.

I'm sure this ordeal would turn off some good foreign applicants.

PS You may not have missed Harvard.

Quoting http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/adminis...ments/transcripts-and-marks-sheets/index.html

Applicants with Non-US Transcripts/Marks Sheets/Degree Conferral Documents

Applicants who will be submitting documentation from post-secondary institutions outside of the United States may choose to have their documents evaluated by an external credential evaluation agency. While we recommend that applicants use World Education Services (www.wes.org), we do not require it.
Please note that evaluations from World Education Services will allow our reviewers to better understand the educational system in which you studied, which may be beneficial for your application review.

Way 2 is right. Some schools require WES (or whatever) while the others ENCOURAGE. You should read each school's requirement carefully.

I just received my WES evaluation. The document basically repeats what my English transcript says. I cannot believe they charge $160 for this service.

Omg. Now i'm scared. thanks for your post way2. it is clearly stated on the wes website that they evaluate in a week's time. now it sounds hoax. the other service- AACRAO- that you mentioned (dunno if all unis accept it)...evaluated your transcripts on basis of emailed scanned copies ? wait though...you said they don't calculate GPAs for MBBS. i've done MBBS too. so it's pointless waiting for wes to respond..since they're ultimately gonna tell me they can't do it?

Yeah - AACRAO evaluated it based on scanned copies. I've not seen what they have reported though.

I didn't mean they don't calculate GPAs for MBBS - just that they requested a more detailed transcript. Mine just says pass/merit/fail/distinction for each year. I have no clue how that can be used to calculate a meaningful GPA.

I would like to think and hope that for MD/MBBS graduates, this transcripts/GPA thing is just a formality, intended more for non-medical degrees.

Like splik, I sent an unevaluated copy of my transcript as well.

Whoever does managed to get a place to do an MPH should feedback to their uni that this credentialing process was worse than pointless.

thank you all.

One question: my transcripts are in English and are pretty clear as far as I think. Apart from some of the unis participating in sophas, I will only apply to columbia and they don't require an evaluation (so i've sent my transcripts as they are to Columbia). WES has still not responded. Do you think IT IS OK TO FORGO WES EVALUATION? Will my application be accepted?
And...does SOPHAS also evaluate/calculate GPA?

thanks again for responding and sharing your experience.

Yes I would just send your transcripts as they are. Unless a school has explicitly required a WES evalution, then I see no problem with that. I think GPAs are less important for those of us who have a medical degree, i think they will be more interested in your transcripts as verification you have actually got your degree and that you didn't fail any classes. As I said before, I think it probably helps if your referees made some comment about your academic performance, class ranking etc. I think it is better to apply now with your original transcripts than wait for an evaluation which may never arrive. I suggest you also email the admissions people and explain that the problem you had and offer to provide any additional info if necessary. also check that you won't be disadvantaged you will have to ask individual programs what they say.

There must be a way that we can all complain about WES so that schools aren't using their fraudulent and grossly misleading evaluations to decide which foreign students to take. These charlatans must be stopped!

splik

Unfortunately, there are only some 3 or 4 universities that HAVE NOT specified WES evaluation as a requirement (though most, but not all, mention some other service as well, as an option). I can only hope that this is not a strict rule. you're right...it's better to communicate with the admissions people when there's a problem.
I totally agree with you about the need to stop these cheats! I'm angry but I realize that I need to focus my energies, at this moment, on applying...I guess most of the cheated have a similar plight (can't affort to fight) and WES gets the advantage. Grrr...
Gawd, I want a refund plus damages...grrrrrrrr:mad:

Just wanted to complete the story with WES for the benefit of future applicants.

I last heard from them 16 Nov 2009 requesting more detailed transcripts. I replied almost immediately after checking with my uni that no more detailed transcripts are available. They did not reply or even acknowledge this.

Fortunately, the SPH I'm applying to accepted either the raw transcripts from my uni OR a "PDF" file sent by AACRAO (yes! amazingly, after I wrote to AACRAO to ask about whether they sent the evaluation - they wrote back saying they sent the evaluation as a PDF file to a named person in the uni I'm applying to!).

Since I didn't need the USD 114 WES evaluation anymore, I wrote to them recently requesting a refund. Within the day, I got a message from them (ignoring my request for a refund completely) saying that (suddenly) all my documents have been received and they will prepare the evaluation this week.

Was quite tempted to complain to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services http://www.naces.org/

So there! All future international applicants be warned.

On balance, AACRAO is easier to deal with. I can confirm that they have an e-mail address to write to and that they (a human being) reply promptly. WES is difficult to get in touch with (they hide their e-mail contacts) and is more expensive but their web-site is more impressive.

Whoever gets a place to do an MPH, please complain to the admissions department!

Just wanted to complete the story with WES for the benefit of future applicants.

I last heard from them 16 Nov 2009 requesting more detailed transcripts. I replied almost immediately after checking with my uni that no more detailed transcripts are available. They did not reply or even acknowledge this.

Fortunately, the SPH I'm applying to accepted either the raw transcripts from my uni OR a "PDF" file sent by AACRAO (yes! amazingly, after I wrote to AACRAO to ask about whether they sent the evaluation - they wrote back saying they sent the evaluation as a PDF file to a named person in the uni I'm applying to!).

Since I didn't need the USD 114 WES evaluation anymore, I wrote to them recently requesting a refund. Within the day, I got a message from them (ignoring my request for a refund completely) saying that (suddenly) all my documents have been received and they will prepare the evaluation this week.

Was quite tempted to complain to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services http://www.naces.org/

On balance, AACRAO is easier to deal with. I can confirm that they have an e-mail address to write to and that they (a human being) reply promptly. WES is difficult to get in touch with (they hide their e-mail contacts) and is more expensive but their web-site is more impressive.

Whoever gets a place to do an MPH, please complain to the admissions department!

Reactions: 1 user

you're right. glad you found a solution. I did, too, after a good deal of fretting and effort.
a lot of people have issues with wes so the admissions people must have an idea. but i agree about at least mentioning the issue to them and not forgetting about it just because WE are done with it.

For what is worth, I had a good experience with WES, but I called them from US not from outside. Have you tried to use Skype to call US landlines? They used to be free.