Well-Respected, Non-Malignant Neurology Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spnj889

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Any suggestions for solid neurology residencies that provide good training, that focus on resident education, and are generally friendly places to work? I'm afraid I don't know much about the different neuro residency programs out there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is hard to find out good, reliable info about programs. Definitely check out the official program website for starters ... one or two have some hidden red flags (I found one program that talked about residents not ever being allowed to take two consecutive weeks of vacation on the website - turns out this is because the program is so small, there was no redundancy -- which led me to wonder - what happens if someone quits or gets ill or sometihng? No thanks ...).

This website is informal, but be aware of the biases here too - everyone has an agenda, whether for or against certain programs or schools (maybe they were rejected from one for med school or residency, maybe they are a program director at one ... you never know).

Interviews are helpful, probably the best way to get an idea ... but also a "show" and you have to be polite yet clever to ask the right questions to get the answers you are after ... I spent a lot of my time at interviews just observing, also paying attention to how I felt in the surroundings: safe? at ease? was I being judged vs just interviewed? were people friendly?

Good luck :) And have fun -- it's the last time you'll have so many schools/programs selling themselves to you for a few years ...

I can name a few hidden gems.

Kansas University Medical Center
University of Kentucky
University of Cincinnati
University of Texas HSC San Antonio (although they are in significant transition)
UNC Chapel Hill (just got a new, very strong, chairman)

You should take a look at these programs' websites.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check at Indiana University in Indianapolis.
It is the Clarian system which is highly ranked in US News and World Report.
Very friendly place and a great place to live

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet is to get a feel for the place when you interview and to have a candid discussion with the residents. Find out the stuff that it is important to you. That's all. If you talk to more than one resident, you will likely get a good idea of how the place runs.

I personally do not agree with any of the recommendations that have been made so far. I would really dislike living in any of those places, no matter what the program is like.

None are "hidden gems..." for me..

Thanks for the recs/advice.

Your best bet is to get a feel for the place when you interview and to have a candid discussion with the residents. Find out the stuff that it is important to you. That's all. If you talk to more than one resident, you will likely get a good idea of how the place runs.

I personally do not agree with any of the recommendations that have been made so far. I would really dislike living in any of those places, no matter what the program is like.

None are "hidden gems..." for me..

I agree with your first point. Having a candid discussion with several residents when interviewing gives you a great perspective on the program.

On your second, that is a personal preference. However, you might be surprised by the quality of life at those places! None of the places above are "big cities" in the sense of NYC or SF, but there is enough culture. If you need broadway theater or high dining, fly there everyother month. Get your treat! There is a lot to learn during residency. You will be busy.

Out of the programs above, I have lectured at all of them but for UNC (as a Duke graduate you might understand). Nevertheless, I agree with prior posters that each of those programs truly are hidden gems... and at those locations, you can afford buying a house on a resident salary.

Fencer, my second statement was exactly made with the purpose of illustrating how personal a decision like that is.

Your definition of a "hidden gem" is certainly a lot narrower than mine, and many others I am sure. Personal preference for sure.

can't say enough about how supportive the Partners residency has been so far. You work hard your first year, but you get a ton of teaching everyday, the attendings and PDs are great to work with and your co-residents are a very talented, fun and well-rounded group of people that you can depend on. Feel very, very fortunate to be here.

Hi anyone had infromation about newyork medical college(university of westchester) i would really appreciate it
Thank You

I'm going to second these two:

UKentucky
UAB

and add

Umississippi

All three are fantastic.