Welcome to the Club (Speech)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you encountered this sentiment?

• Yes

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • What are you smoking?

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In starting medical school have you ever encountered the, Welcome to the "Club" speech? Where even physicians who are not involved in your education say you can contact them if you need help or anything? It is almost like being welcomed into a large family.
Does this phenomenon increase post match ?
What have your experiences been ?

Members don't see this ad.

The official term for this is "professional courtesy." The most common way in which I've benefited is when colleagues have offered me curbside consults for minor issues (like which exercises to use when I had Achilles tendinitis) or bumping me to the front of their appointment list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
In starting medical school have you ever encountered the, Welcome to the "Club" speech? Where even physicians who are not involved in your education say you can contact them if you need help or anything? It is almost like being welcomed into a large family.
Yeah. had a surgery not too long ago, and the surgeon literally asked me if I needed a research/career mentor since I said I hadn’t ruled out their surgical sub specialty. the doc wasnt even associated with my school or anything. he was a freshly minted attending after fellowship looking to take the next step of mentoring med students I guess.

It’s funny because pre-med for me was only a year ago and I would have probably been laughed out of the room if I sought mentor ship from a fancy pants MGH/HSS surgeon

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, had someone give me their business card 1mo into M1 and tell me to contact them because even if I didn't go into their specialty, they could probably find me a mentor in whatever area I ended up interested in...all because I mentioned med school while we were playing a local rec league sport together.

Last edited:
The official term for this is "professional courtesy." The most common way in which I've benefited is when colleagues have offered me curbside consults for minor issues (like which exercises to use when I had Achilles tendinitis).
Wow,I was completely ignorant of the long standing tradition of not charging other physicians or their families. It is a shame that it has been diminished due to third party payor rules. I wonder how many other traditions have been lost .

Reactions: 1 users
Wow,I was completely ignorant of the long standing tradition of not charging other physicians or their families. It is a shame that it has been diminished due to third party payor rules. I wonder how many other traditions have been lost .
The article mentions that it arose to discourage physicians from treating their family members. Very interesting. I kind of wish physicians, by and large, expressed a similar degree of concern for premeds, but I guess too many flake out. And so matriculation to med school inaugurates you to the profession.

The article mentions that it arose to discourage physicians from treating their family members. Very interesting. I kind of wish physicians, by and large, expressed a similar degree of concern for premeds, but I guess too many flake out. And so matriculation to med school inaugurates you to the profession.
Premeds, really? That'd be half of college kids, minimum, plus a surprisingly high proportion of everyone else. Plus, the only thing you have to do to be a premed is decide to say out loud "I'm going to be a doctor", so everyone would immediately just do that whenever they needed medical care.