WedgeDawg's Applicant Rating System (Updated Jan 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Link to online WARS Calculator

Latest version is 1.3 (Released January 2017)
Collaborator credit: @To be MD

Introduction

As some of you may have seen, I've recently been pioneering a new system that helps applicants figure out where they stand with respect to medical school admissions as well as giving them a place to start when it comes to creating a school list. My system is a comprehensive algorithm that takes into account all of the major (and some of the minor!) factors that go into building a successful application! This post aims to elucidate the process by which this method scores an applicant as well as get community input on the algorithm to attempt to strengthen it even more.

When I first started building this system, I used a google doc spreadsheet to make notes and create the initial versions of some of the formulas that go into this program. In order to do this, I scored myself, other applicants I knew in real life, and many applications I found in the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum to adjust rating scales to try and create a generalized model that placed applicants into appropriate discrete categories.

Once I had my initial quantitative rating system in place, I wrote a Python script that allowed me to easily score an applicant based on factors normally included in their WAMC thread and which gives the output that I normally post in these threads. This is the point at which I started posting in threads as well to see how well my formulations matched up with community suggestions.

Finally, after some more tweaking, I created a comprehensive Excel document that contains instructions, qualitative descriptions of each factor that are then reduced to a numerical score, a place to input score values and receive a score in addition to a category level and school breakdown, and a page that displays which schools are in which categories. This document is available for download.

I will go through each of these factors in this post to articulate how they fit into the overall scoring paradigm as well as solicit input from the SDN community about how to increase the accuracy of this system.

The LizzyM System

This system was originally created as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the already widely-utilized LizzyM scoring system. As a reference, the LizzyM score is defined as (GPA*10)+MCAT and may contain a +1 or -1 modifier in certain situations. The applicant's LizzyM score is then compared to the LizzyM score for a school to determine whether or not the applicant is statistically competitive for that school. However, the inherent simplicity of the LizzyM score, while making it quick and easy to generate and apply, also creates problems endemic to systems that reduce and generalize. The two major simplifications are the reduction of an entire application to two (already numerical) metrics and the assumption that the LizzyM score accounts for the majority of, if not all of, the variability attributed to selectivity.

While there is merit to these assumptions, which is why the LizzyM score is so widely used, there are also deficiencies that need to be addressed in order to create a more accurate system for assessing an application. One of these deficiencies is that certain schools with similar LizzyM schools may be in very different levels of competitiveness. For example, although UVA and Duke have identical LizzyM scores, it is clear that Duke is a much more selective school than UVA. Additionally, small differences in LizzyM score become significant when using this metric to assess competitiveness for two similar schools. For example, Duke has a LizzyM score of 75, while Yale has a LizzyM score of 76; both schools are similarly selective, but someone might (very mistakenly) advise a applicant with a 3.9/36 that they are more competitive for Duke than they are for Yale. Finally, the LizzyM score is used as a way to tell if someone is statistically competitive for a single school and is significantly less useful for helping an applicant come up with a list of schools.

The Applicant Rating System - Overview

The WedgeDawg Applicant Rating System (ARS) was created to address these deficiencies. It takes into account most of the factors that make up an application to medical school, gives an applicant a separate score for each one, and then gives an applicant a numerical rating. This numerical rating is then translated to a category level and a profile of schools to apply to is created based on that category.

One of the major assumptions of the ARS is that applicants can be broadly classified in terms of competitiveness into one of 6 categories. Within these categories, distinctions between applicants are might lower than the differences between applicants that are in separate groups. Much of the variability that occurs between two applicants in the same group comes from subjective parts of the application that are not taken into account here, namely the personal statement, letters of recommendation, secondary essays, and their interviews. Because the purpose of the ARS is to create a starting point for a school list, these factors are not yet relevant. Indeed, the ARS does not assess where an applicant will be accepted; rather, it determines the best collection of schools for the applicant to apply to maximize chances of success at the best schools realistically possible.

The following factors are taken into account by the ARS:

1. GPA
  2. MCAT
  3. Research
  4. Clinical Experience
  5. Shadowing
  6. Volunteering
  7. Leadership and Teaching
  8. Miscellaneous
  9. Undergraduate School
  10. Representation in Medicine
  11. GPA Trend
Each of these categories is assigned a score that corresponds to the strength of that portion of the application, weighted, and then summed together. The formula is as follows:

ARS Score = (Stats*5)+(Research*3)+(Clinical Experience [9, 5, -10])+(Shadowing [6, -5])+(Volunteering*2)+(Leadership and Teaching*2)+(Miscellaneous*3)+[(Undergrad-1)*3]+[(URM-1)*7]+[(Upward Trend-1)*4]

This score is then translated to one of 6 categories that applicants are grouped into, which are designated Levels S, A, B, C, D, E in decreasing score order. The score thresholds are as follows:
  • Level S: 85
  • Level A: 80
  • Level B: 75
  • Level C: 68
  • Level D: 60
  • Level E: 0
Note that the score is not out of 100 - it is in fact out of 121 if all factors are assigned the highest possible score. However, the raw number means very little when compared to the actual Level assigned to the applicant. Each level has its own profile of schools to apply to which are not parsed out by individual score.

School Categories and Applicant Profiles

Schools are similarly grouped into 7 broad categories by basis of selectivity. The categories are as follows:

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA*, NYU, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD*, Cornell, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Baylor*, Mayo, Case Western, Emory

Category 3 (MID): UTSW*, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UNC*

Category 4 (LOW): USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - You should always apply to all of these if applying MD

Category 6 (LOW YIELD):
Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush

Category 7 (DO): DO Schools

Application profiles give the total number of schools an applicant should apply to in addition to the % of each category that should make up the total. Table 1 shows the score ranges, percentage of schools by category, total number of schools, and whether or not the applicant should apply to Category 6 or 7 schools. State schools should always be applied to if the applicant is applying to any MD schools.

dL9GvKa.png

RDExzik.png

Figure 1 shows the proportion of school list by category for each applicant level. Note that Level E applicants should only be applying to DO schools, as shown in Table 1.

Scoring Methodology

This section will delineate each of the metrics used to score an applicant in all of the categories mentioned previously. The multiplier for the score will also be shown, as well as the score cap for the section.

Stats

Score Cap: 10
Multiplier: 5

The stats section is determined by a combination of MCAT and GPA. However, it is different from the LizzyM system in that scores are grouped into larger groups that then determines the Stats score for the applicant. This is because when using the LizzyM system, an applicant with a 2.9 and a 40 will be as competitive as someone with a 3.9 and a 30, while this is not true in practice (generally the latter will be more competitive). The LizzyM score appears to be less accurate at the extremes.

Table 2 shows how to determine an applicant's Stats score based on their MCAT and GPA. The number given in the table is the Stats score assigned.

iQdtnfI.png

This table was developed by a combination of Tables 24/25 published by AMCAS that gives an applicant's chance of success with certain MCAT and GPA as well as by individually looking at how applicants with certain combinations of GPAs and MCATs fared. Median, 10th, and 90th percentile GPAs and MCATs for schools in each category were also looked at when compiling this chart. GPA is averaged over all applicable fields - undergraduate sGPA, undergraduate cGPA, post-bac GPA, graduate GPA.

Score conversion percentiles were taken from the old MCAT percentiles chart (2012-2014) and the new MCAT percentiles chart (2015). The percentage of the old MCAT score was used as the floor for the percentage for the new MCAT. So if 24 was 40th percentile, 25 was 42nd, 490 was 39th, 491 was 40th, and 492 was 41st, then 24 would correspond to 491-492.

Research Experience

Score Cap: 5
Multiplier: 3

Level 5: Significant, sustained research activity. Generally, applicants in this category will have a first author publication, publication in a high-impact journal, and/or solo presentation of their own, original work at a major conference. These are the research superstars who are performing work well beyond the level of an undergraduate. PhDs will generally fall into this category, too.

Level 4: Significant, sustained research activity, generally for at least 2 years. Applicants in this category may have a poster presentation, a middle author publication in a medium- or low-impact journal, an abstract, or a thesis. These applicants have a strong research focus and perform research above the level of the average undergraduate.

Level 3: Moderate research activity, generally for a year or more. These applicants generally don't have publications or presentations, but may have completed a project.

Level 2: Slight research activity, generally for less than a year.

Level 1: No research activity.

Clinical Experience

Note that clinical experience can be volunteer or non-volunteer experience.

Score Cap: 3
Multiplier: +9, +5, -10 (by Level)

Level 3: Significant, sustained clinical experience, generally for well over a year. These applicants have demonstrated a strong commitment to clinical endeavors and have exposure in a clinical setting well beyond the average applicant.

Level 2: Moderate clinical experience, generally for well under a year. These applicants have adequate/sufficient exposure to clinical activity.

Level 1: Slight or no clinical experience.

Shadowing

Score Cap: 2
Multiplier: +6, -5 (by Level)

Level 2: Adequate shadowing or greater

Level 1: Slight or no shadowing experience.

Volunteering

Note that this section takes into account both clinical and non-clinical volunteering.

Multiplier: 2

Level 3: Significant, sustained volunteering activity, generally over a long period of time, in one or multiple organizations. May also be working with marginalized or disadvantaged groups or in uncomfortable settings.

Level 2: Some volunteering activity, generally with low-to-moderate levels of commitment or sustained activity.

Level 1: Slight or no volunteering experience.

Leadership and Teaching

Level 3: Sustained, significant teaching and/or leadership experience. This category includes applicants who teach grade school students, go on a teaching fellowship, have TA'd or tutored for long periods of time, are the head of a major organization, or have other equally demanding responsibilities.

Level 2: Some teaching and/or leadership experience, often with low-to-moderate levels of commitment or sustained activity.

Level 1: Slight or no leadership or teaching experience.

Miscellaneous

Score Cap: 4

Level 4: Highly significant life experiences or achievements that are seen as outstanding and contribute maximally to personal and professional development. This may include Rhodes scholarships, world class musicianship, professional or Olympic athletics, significant or sustained meaningful or unique work experiences, or anything else outlandishly impressive.

Level 3: Moderately-to-highly significant life experiences or achievements. This includes other terminal graduate degrees such as PhDs or JDs, military or Peace Corp service, as well as intense involvement with a unique or meaningful non-medical activity.

Level 2: Minimal-to-moderate involvement in personal activity or work experience. This may include major personal hobbies or athletics, musicianship, or other experiences.

Level 1: Nothing else to add.

Undergraduate School

Score Cap: 3 (really 2, 1, 0, but that's taken into account in the formula already)

Level 3: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT

Level 2: All other "prestigious" or highly selective schools including other Ivies, WashU, Duke, Hopkins, UChicago etc

Level 1: All other schools

Representation in Medicine

Score Cap: 2 (really 1, 0, but that's taken into account in the formula already)
Multiplier: 7

Level 2: Underrepresented in Medicine (URM)

Level 1: All other

GPA Trend

Score Cap: 2 (really 1, 0, but that's taken into account in the formula already)
Multiplier: 4

Level 2: Upward trend

Level 1: No upward trend

Discussion

There are a few problems associated with the ARS. First, it's tied mostly to MD applicants - it breaks down for people primarily applying to DO schools. It also doesn't have a real way to evaluate the competitiveness of MD/PhD applicants (or Lerner/Cleveland Clinic applicants). Second, it obviously does not take into account subjective factors such as how one talks about their experiences and it assumes that certain groups of applicants will be similar enough to group them based on an almost arbitrary cut-off (which could be contested). Finally, it does not have a great way of scoring people with multiple but very disparate GPAs (such as 2.9 undergraduate but 3.95 graduate).

Overall, this is just a tool for applicants to analyze themselves and figure out how to create a balanced school list that will offer them the optimal chance of success. I hope that it will not turn into a "check-box" machine where applicants will tailor their activities to try and "game" this system. Remember that it is not my system that is ultimately evaluating an application, it is a group of adcoms who do so through a process far more nuanced than this one. This is just a way to get an "at a glance" view of an application after it has been built. It is my hope that new applicants will use this system to help them construct a school list that is at the same time realistic and geared toward making them as successful an applicant as possible.

Hi, the post only lists a few schools for each category, what about the other medical schools not listed here? is there a comprehensive list that has all the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, the post only lists a few schools for each category, what about the other medical schools not listed here? is there a comprehensive list that has all the schools?

The schools are benchmarks. You should use MSAR/other resources to look at school 10th-90th percentile GPA and MCAT to determine which tier a school falls into compared to the benchmarks.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious about where I stand for research:

700 hours undergrad research in a field not related to medicine (still bench research), 1 poster, university-level presentation, university level grant.

1500 hours medically related research at a HYPSM (2000 more before matriculation), full-time employment, 3rd author in a submitted manuscript and PI expects it to get into Cell or a Cell sub-journal (idk if he's just being overconfident but I'll take his word). I did NOT mention the publication on my primary, it is currently under review submitted 3 weeks ago.

Edit: journal correction

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious about where I stand for research:

700 hours undergrad research in a field not related to medicine (still bench research), 1 poster, university-level presentation, university level grant.

1500 hours medically related research at a HYPSM (2000 more before matriculation), full-time employment, 3rd author in a submitted manuscript and PI expects it to get into Cell or a Cell sub-journal (idk if he's just being overconfident but I'll take his word). I did NOT mention the publication on my primary, it is currently under review submitted 3 weeks ago.

Edit: journal correction

Highest category

Other schools generally fall into the state school category, and you should be applying to them if you are in state or in region only.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

My WARS score is from 78-82, so I should be applying to 10-30% cat 1 and 2 schools, but I'm afraid my MCAT of 513 + will not be enough for any high tier schools. Should I still apply to those schools anyway?

Thank you so much!

Hi guys,

My WARS score is from 78-82, so I should be applying to 10-30% cat 1 and 2 schools, but I'm afraid my MCAT of 513 + will not be enough for any high tier schools. Should I still apply to those schools anyway?

Thank you so much!

Use MSAR to find schools where you are above the 10th percentile MCAT and apply to those. If you fall below the 10th percentile MCAT, then don't bother.

• Wow
I feel there is a discrepancy bw this system and the school lists being suggested by adcom on here. I cross over into the first tier category via the table, but various advisors on here say those schools are definite reaches. I kind of agree with the latter. Anyone else feel the same?

• Wow
Does founding a medical device company that received 100k in funding with a potential 500k-1 million valuation count as a 4 in miscellaneous? Also, do top-level 'public ivy' state schools count as level 2? My research I'm pretty sure is a 5, as I have a publication in a Nature/Science/Cell level subsidiary journal as a (1<n<5)th author and several 1st author presentations at international conferences. Am I right to assume that? The research besides the super high level journal (honestly just got lucky, was in the right lab at the right time) was mainly a result of my company and it's partnerships with a university in product development and clinical efficacy.

I should have a WARS of 104 if everything is the way I think. If my school counts as a level 2, it should be 107.

I'm just worried about my GPA, as I crushed everything my first 2 years in college, but got decent grades in my last 2. By no means were they bad, but it brought my GPA down from insane to really good, like 3.95+ to a 3.85+. How bad will that hurt me? I was going through family issues and was highly focused on other things. @WedgeDawg

Last edited:
Does founding a medical device company that received 100k in funding with a potential 500k-1 million valuation count as a 4 in miscellaneous? Also, do top-level 'public ivy' state schools count as level 2? My research I'm pretty sure is a 5, as I have a publication in a Nature/Science/Cell level subsidiary journal as a nth author and several 1st author presentations at international conferences. I'm right to assume that?

I should have a WARS of 104 if everything is the way I think. If my school counts as a level 2, it should be 107.

I'm just worried about my GPA, as I crushed everything my first 2 years in college, but got decent grades in my last 2. By no means were they bad, but it brought my GPA down from insane to really good, like 3.95+ to a 3.85+. How bad will that hurt me? I was going through family issues and was highly focused on other things. @WedgeDawg
@EmbryonalCarcinoma

You thinking Walter?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look idk what that means, but why are you mocking me? Isn't this a thread to ask questions about the WARS scoring? Thats what I am doing here.
All it means is you have really good extracurriculars. You’re fine lol no need to stress

Does founding a medical device company that received 100k in funding with a potential 500k-1 million valuation count as a 4 in miscellaneous? Also, do top-level 'public ivy' state schools count as level 2? My research I'm pretty sure is a 5, as I have a publication in a Nature/Science/Cell level subsidiary journal as a nth author and several 1st author presentations at international conferences. I'm right to assume that?

I refuse to believe the people who are claiming that they have gone through the process of running a company, publishing in high impact journals, perfect stats, or other intellectually challenging paths are incapable saying "yeah this is above average compared to the 22-year-olds who are graduating with 100 volunteering hours." The ability to actually accomplish those things requires at least some competent abstract thought or being able to grasp the situation relative to other factors.
As often as I see it here, they either are lying or seeking validation.

• Wow
Reactions: 16 users
I refuse to believe the people who are claiming that they have gone through the process of running a company, publishing in high impact journals, perfect stats, or other intellectually challenging paths are incapable saying "yeah this is above average compared to the 22-year-olds who are graduating with 100 volunteering hours." The ability to actually accomplish those things requires at least some competent abstract thought or being able to grasp the situation relative to other factors.
As often as I see it here, they either are lying or seeking validation.
You're probably right. I did kind of seek some validation there, I'll be 100% honest. But lots of posts here are posting their WARS scores, and if thats not seeking some degree of validation idk what is. However, the main intention of the post was just to get advice about the WARS scoring, and if I scored my application correctly. I didn't say if I was like the average premed, and didn't even reference volunteering hours - those are cut and dry, just follow the guide. Some of the other things aren't, though. And I am genuinely concerned about my GPA. I'm sorry if that offended you.

Last edited:
Does founding a medical device company that received 100k in funding with a potential 500k-1 million valuation count as a 4 in miscellaneous?

This is an incredibly vague statement. Technically anyone can start a company with a $100 or so and create a LLC or other business entity online. That would count as having founded a company. In theory you could have hired someone to do everything else for you, so the answer to your question is "it depends." How active/involved were you? Did you design new devices or make contributions or just resell existing brands (i.e. basically start a durable medical equipment company)? If your company made new inventions/innovations, I would be impressed especially if you made significant contributions to the project. If you merely started another DME, I would be much less impressed.

Also, do top-level 'public ivy' state schools count as level 2?
Great question! The OP was sort of vague. Since a "public ivy" isn't a real "ivy," I would call it score it as 1.

Edited: It looks like the language was more inclusive than I originally remembered. I'm thinking yes it would count as a 2.

My research I'm pretty sure is a 5, as I have a publication in a Nature/Science/Cell level subsidiary journal as a (1<n<5)th author and several 1st author presentations at international conferences. Am I right to assume that? The research besides the super high level journal (honestly just got lucky, was in the right lab at the right time) was mainly a result of my company and it's partnerships with a university in product development and clinical efficacy.

I'm thinking a 4.

I'd use a score of 1, but I don't think it will really make a difference if your other valuations are correct.

Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful response! I did start the medical device company with a novel medical device I personally had a hand in developing. It was my brainchild that I onboarded some surgeons with! I own pretty much half the company equity wise. We raised capital through seed funding and grants and have talks with some big players for codevelopment. . Does that mean a 4?

In terms of the subsidiary journal, it has an impact factor of 15. Is that not high enough? I was also the first author on a few presentations and posters. Also, what is a DME? Is it durable medical equipment?

Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful response! I did start the medical device company with a novel medical device I personally had a hand in developing. It was my brainchild that I onboarded some surgeons with! I own pretty much half the company equity wise. We raised capital through seed funding and grants and have talks with some big players for codevelopment. . Does that mean a 4?

In terms of the subsidiary journal, it has an impact factor of 15. Is that not high enough? I was also the first author on a few presentations and posters. Also, what is a DME? Is it durable medical equipment?

You should do well with Stanford and HMS then, if you have competitive stats (which 3.85+ is and idk your mcat). They love successful entrepreneurs, esp Stanford :)

I am curious as to why you’re motivated to do Fulbright with this strong of an application.

Last edited:
I want to really experience healthcare and physician care from both ends of the spectrum. I've seen top-notch care in the US, but I want to observe and possibly ameliorate care in poorer countries. It's really for me, but I just want to make sure it will help my future too.

I want to really experience healthcare and physician care from both ends of the spectrum. I've seen top-notch care in the US, but I want to observe and possibly ameliorate care in poorer countries. It's really for me, but I just want to make sure it will help my future too.
I don't think you'll be able to ameliorate care in poorer countries through a 10 month fellowship tbh. Also, be wary of coming across as having a white savior complex.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, I never said I would effect the change in the 10 months, it will really just be a start to a long journey and life goal. Also, the white savior complex is important to acknowledge, but ridiculous to say in this concept. I didn't say that people there are wrong and because I am American I am right. It's just about a mutual understanding and co-development of a meaningful project. You have to affiliate with a local institution and get their support too. That's what Fulbright is all about. Also, can you be a white savior if you aren't white to begin with?

Well, I never said I would effect the change in the 10 months, it will really just be a start to a long journey and life goal. Also, the white savior complex is important to acknowledge, but ridiculous to say in this concept. I didn't say that people there are wrong and because I am American I am right. It's just about a mutual understanding and co-development of a meaningful project. You have to affiliate with a local institution and get their support too. That's what Fulbright is all about. Also, can you be a white savior if you aren't white to begin with?
Yes, it's about having the privilege to go to these poorer countries. In this case, you'll likely be benefitting more from having Fulbright on your med school app than the locals will be benefitting from your 10 month help.

• Love
Yes, it's about having the privilege to go to these poorer countries. In this case, you'll likely be benefitting more from having Fulbright on your med school app than the locals will be benefitting from your 10 month help.

I will definitely benefit from this, but I think it's remiss to think I am doing this primarily to have Fulbright on my application. Don't forget that this is a year of my life I will be giving up too. I genuinely care about the issue and will continue to work with investigators in my host country long after I finish my Fulbright. I've been there in the past to do research, and I plan on going back. Also, how can you quantify the benefit to me compared to the people there? I think that's a ridiculous judgment.

I did start the medical device company with a novel medical device I personally had a hand in developing. It was my brainchild that I onboarded some surgeons with! I own pretty much half the company equity wise. We raised capital through seed funding and grants and have talks with some big players for codevelopment. . Does that mean a 4?

I think a 4 would be fair.

In terms of the subsidiary journal, it has an impact factor of 15. Is that not high enough? I was also the first author on a few presentations and posters.

I wouldn't say it isn't enough. A small percentage have publications and even fewer have first author publications. I see a 5 as a Ph.D. or similar with multiple publications. Your research will distinguish you to be sure, but I interpret the original scoring model to make a 5 very, very, very rare.

Also, what is a DME? Is it durable medical equipment?

Yes.

Last edited:
@Joobaroo96 - As you see there is a lot of ambiguity. Stats can be ambiguous enough, but trying to apply an objective rating to extracurriculars seems unrealistic to me. There is no magic formula. Medical schools want to see intellectual curiosity, research/innovation (for research oriented schools), community service, leadership, clinical exposure, etc. From what you have written, assuming a strong MCAT score, your stats/ECs are good enough to get you into top schools. It will all come down to how well you present in interviews and your ability to write essays/secondaries.

Also given your interests, you might want to consider a MD/MBA program.

Thank you for your response @DNAJB6 . I was a little apprehensive about applying to top schools because of my GPA, but I'll throw in an app and see what happens. To be honest, I was considering an MBA, but I just have too many interests in many fields, ranging from health policy to medical devices to service. I may get one much later down the line, but for now, I just want to stick with and MD - it won't throttle me in other fields, but won't empower me either, kind of a jack of all trades.

top schools because of my GPA
Your GPA will not hinder you anywhere. Get MSAR. You will not find a single school where a 3.85 is less than the 25%. I personally have a 3.66 but have heard back from several top schools. Don’t pay attention to SDN news, use the data available to you.

Introduction

As some of you may have seen, I've recently been pioneering a new system that helps applicants figure out where they stand with respect to medical school admissions as well as giving them a place to start when it comes to creating a school list. My system is a comprehensive algorithm that takes into account all of the major (and some of the minor!) factors that go into building a successful application! This post aims to elucidate the process by which this method scores an applicant as well as get community input on the algorithm to attempt to strengthen it even more.

When I first started building this system, I used a google doc spreadsheet to make notes and create the initial versions of some of the formulas that go into this program. In order to do this, I scored myself, other applicants I knew in real life, and many applications I found in the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum to adjust rating scales to try and create a generalized model that placed applicants into appropriate discrete categories.

Once I had my initial quantitative rating system in place, I wrote a Python script that allowed me to easily score an applicant based on factors normally included in their WAMC thread and which gives the output that I normally post in these threads. This is the point at which I started posting in threads as well to see how well my formulations matched up with community suggestions.

Finally, after some more tweaking, I created a comprehensive Excel document that contains instructions, qualitative descriptions of each factor that are then reduced to a numerical score, a place to input score values and receive a score in addition to a category level and school breakdown, and a page that displays which schools are in which categories. This document is available for download.

I will go through each of these factors in this post to articulate how they fit into the overall scoring paradigm as well as solicit input from the SDN community about how to increase the accuracy of this system.

The LizzyM System

This system was originally created as a supplement to, not a replacement for, the already widely-utilized LizzyM scoring system. As a reference, the LizzyM score is defined as (GPA*10)+MCAT and may contain a +1 or -1 modifier in certain situations. The applicant's LizzyM score is then compared to the LizzyM score for a school to determine whether or not the applicant is statistically competitive for that school. However, the inherent simplicity of the LizzyM score, while making it quick and easy to generate and apply, also creates problems endemic to systems that reduce and generalize. The two major simplifications are the reduction of an entire application to two (already numerical) metrics and the assumption that the LizzyM score accounts for the majority of, if not all of, the variability attributed to selectivity.

While there is merit to these assumptions, which is why the LizzyM score is so widely used, there are also deficiencies that need to be addressed in order to create a more accurate system for assessing an application. One of these deficiencies is that certain schools with similar LizzyM schools may be in very different levels of competitiveness. For example, although UVA and Duke have identical LizzyM scores, it is clear that Duke is a much more selective school than UVA. Additionally, small differences in LizzyM score become significant when using this metric to assess competitiveness for two similar schools. For example, Duke has a LizzyM score of 75, while Yale has a LizzyM score of 76; both schools are similarly selective, but someone might (very mistakenly) advise a applicant with a 3.9/36 that they are more competitive for Duke than they are for Yale. Finally, the LizzyM score is used as a way to tell if someone is statistically competitive for a single school and is significantly less useful for helping an applicant come up with a list of schools.

The WedgeDawg Applicant Rating System (ARS) was created to address these deficiencies. It takes into account most of the factors that make up an application to medical school, gives an applicant a separate score for each one, and then gives an applicant a numerical rating. This numerical rating is then translated to a category level and a profile of schools to apply to is created based on that category.

One of the major assumptions of the ARS is that applicants can be broadly classified in terms of competitiveness into one of 6 categories. Within these categories, distinctions between applicants are might lower than the differences between applicants that are in separate groups. Much of the variability that occurs between two applicants in the same group comes from subjective parts of the application that are not taken into account here, namely the personal statement, letters of recommendation, secondary essays, and their interviews. Because the purpose of the ARS is to create a starting point for a school list, these factors are not yet relevant. Indeed, the ARS does not assess where an applicant will be accepted; rather, it determines the best collection of schools for the applicant to apply to maximize chances of success at the best schools realistically possible.

1. GPA
  2. MCAT
  3. Research
  4. Clinical Experience
  5. Shadowing
  6. Volunteering
  8. Miscellaneous
  9. Undergraduate School
  11. GPA Trend
Each of these categories is assigned a score that corresponds to the strength of that portion of the application, weighted, and then summed together. The formula is as follows:

ARS Score = (Stats*5)+(Research*3)+(Clinical Experience [9, 5, -10])+(Shadowing [6, -5])+(Volunteering*2)+(Leadership and Teaching*2)+(Miscellaneous*3)+[(Undergrad-1)*3]+[(URM-1)*7]+[(Upward Trend-1)*4]

This score is then translated to one of 6 categories that applicants are grouped into, which are designated Levels S, A, B, C, D, E in decreasing score order. The score thresholds are as follows:
Note that the score is not out of 100 - it is in fact out of 121 if all factors are assigned the highest possible score. However, the raw number means very little when compared to the actual Level assigned to the applicant. Each level has its own profile of schools to apply to which are not parsed out by individual score.

Schools are similarly grouped into 7 broad categories by basis of selectivity. The categories are as follows:

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA*, NYU, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD*, Cornell, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Baylor*, Mayo, Case Western, Emory

Category 3 (MID): UTSW*, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UNC*

Category 4 (LOW): USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - You should always apply to all of these if applying MD

Category 6 (LOW YIELD):
Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush

Application profiles give the total number of schools an applicant should apply to in addition to the % of each category that should make up the total. Table 1 shows the score ranges, percentage of schools by category, total number of schools, and whether or not the applicant should apply to Category 6 or 7 schools. State schools should always be applied to if the applicant is applying to any MD schools.

dL9GvKa.png

RDExzik.png

Figure 1 shows the proportion of school list by category for each applicant level. Note that Level E applicants should only be applying to DO schools, as shown in Table 1.

Scoring Methodology

This section will delineate each of the metrics used to score an applicant in all of the categories mentioned previously. The multiplier for the score will also be shown, as well as the score cap for the section.

Stats

The stats section is determined by a combination of MCAT and GPA. However, it is different from the LizzyM system in that scores are grouped into larger groups that then determines the Stats score for the applicant. This is because when using the LizzyM system, an applicant with a 2.9 and a 40 will be as competitive as someone with a 3.9 and a 30, while this is not true in practice (generally the latter will be more competitive). The LizzyM score appears to be less accurate at the extremes.

Table 2 shows how to determine an applicant's Stats score based on their MCAT and GPA. The number given in the table is the Stats score assigned.

iQdtnfI.png

This table was developed by a combination of Tables 24/25 published by AMCAS that gives an applicant's chance of success with certain MCAT and GPA as well as by individually looking at how applicants with certain combinations of GPAs and MCATs fared. Median, 10th, and 90th percentile GPAs and MCATs for schools in each category were also looked at when compiling this chart. GPA is averaged over all applicable fields - undergraduate sGPA, undergraduate cGPA, post-bac GPA, graduate GPA.

Score conversion percentiles were taken from the old MCAT percentiles chart (2012-2014) and the new MCAT percentiles chart (2015). The percentage of the old MCAT score was used as the floor for the percentage for the new MCAT. So if 24 was 40th percentile, 25 was 42nd, 490 was 39th, 491 was 40th, and 492 was 41st, then 24 would correspond to 491-492.

Research Experience

Level 5: Significant, sustained research activity. Generally, applicants in this category will have a first author publication, publication in a high-impact journal, and/or solo presentation of their own, original work at a major conference. These are the research superstars who are performing work well beyond the level of an undergraduate. PhDs will generally fall into this category, too.

Level 4: Significant, sustained research activity, generally for at least 2 years. Applicants in this category may have a poster presentation, a middle author publication in a medium- or low-impact journal, an abstract, or a thesis. These applicants have a strong research focus and perform research above the level of the average undergraduate.

Level 3: Moderate research activity, generally for a year or more. These applicants generally don't have publications or presentations, but may have completed a project.

Clinical Experience

Level 3: Significant, sustained clinical experience, generally for well over a year. These applicants have demonstrated a strong commitment to clinical endeavors and have exposure in a clinical setting well beyond the average applicant.

Level 2: Moderate clinical experience, generally for well under a year. These applicants have adequate/sufficient exposure to clinical activity.

Shadowing

Volunteering

Note that this section takes into account both clinical and non-clinical volunteering.

Level 3: Significant, sustained volunteering activity, generally over a long period of time, in one or multiple organizations. May also be working with marginalized or disadvantaged groups or in uncomfortable settings.

Level 2: Some volunteering activity, generally with low-to-moderate levels of commitment or sustained activity.

Leadership and Teaching

Level 3: Sustained, significant teaching and/or leadership experience. This category includes applicants who teach grade school students, go on a teaching fellowship, have TA'd or tutored for long periods of time, are the head of a major organization, or have other equally demanding responsibilities.

Level 2: Some teaching and/or leadership experience, often with low-to-moderate levels of commitment or sustained activity.

Miscellaneous

Level 4: Highly significant life experiences or achievements that are seen as outstanding and contribute maximally to personal and professional development. This may include Rhodes scholarships, world class musicianship, professional or Olympic athletics, significant or sustained meaningful or unique work experiences, or anything else outlandishly impressive.

Level 3: Moderately-to-highly significant life experiences or achievements. This includes other terminal graduate degrees such as PhDs or JDs, military or Peace Corp service, as well as intense involvement with a unique or meaningful non-medical activity.

Level 2: Minimal-to-moderate involvement in personal activity or work experience. This may include major personal hobbies or athletics, musicianship, or other experiences.

Undergraduate School

Score Cap: 3 (really 2, 1, 0, but that's taken into account in the formula already)

Level 2: All other "prestigious" or highly selective schools including other Ivies, WashU, Duke, Hopkins, UChicago etc

GPA Trend

Discussion

There are a few problems associated with the ARS. First, it's tied mostly to MD applicants - it breaks down for people primarily applying to DO schools. It also doesn't have a real way to evaluate the competitiveness of MD/PhD applicants (or Lerner/Cleveland Clinic applicants). Second, it obviously does not take into account subjective factors such as how one talks about their experiences and it assumes that certain groups of applicants will be similar enough to group them based on an almost arbitrary cut-off (which could be contested). Finally, it does not have a great way of scoring people with multiple but very disparate GPAs (such as 2.9 undergraduate but 3.95 graduate).

Overall, this is just a tool for applicants to analyze themselves and figure out how to create a balanced school list that will offer them the optimal chance of success. I hope that it will not turn into a "check-box" machine where applicants will tailor their activities to try and "game" this system. Remember that it is not my system that is ultimately evaluating an application, it is a group of adcoms who do so through a process far more nuanced than this one. This is just a way to get an "at a glance" view of an application after it has been built. It is my hope that new applicants will use this system to help them construct a school list that is at the same time realistic and geared toward making them as successful an applicant as possible.

How come the scores on the calculator and the scores on the formula you posted don't give me the same results? Specifically, for the stats section, why does the calculator give me a negative score (-20) for stats when I input 4 but then for the formula I get 4(x5)=20?

How come the scores on the calculator and the scores on the formula you posted don't give me the same results? Specifically, for the stats section, why does the calculator give me a negative score (-20) for stats when I input 4 but then for the formula I get 4(x5)=20?

Sometimes the calculator website messes up. It’s a third party so I don’t really have too much control over it. When in doubt go with the excel spreadsheet. I wouldn’t try to do the arithmetic yourself.

I'm confused as to how to categorize my GPA trend. I got a 4.0 freshman year at a CC and then transferred to an Ivy. After that my GPA was 3.3, 3.8, 3.8. Would this be considered an upward trend?

When in doubt, rate yourself conservatively.

I know this sounds like a lot but would someone haveWedgedawgs' tier system filled with all the possible medical schools to apply to? Looking to finalize my school list focusing on tier 2/3

• Wow
I know this sounds like a lot but would someone haveWedgedawgs' tier system filled with all the possible medical schools to apply to? Looking to finalize my school list focusing on tier 2/3

It’s filled pretty much as much as necessary. All other schools are applicable only to a specific group of applicants or are new schools that don’t really have a “tier” yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Really no idea how to approach scoring myself. I feel like depending on how conservative vs liberal I am the score can vary quite a bit.

For example, how can I know if my miscellaneous life experiences are good enough for a 3 (moderate-to-highly significant life experiences or achievements) or if they're a 2 (minimal-to-moderate involvement in personal activity or work experience)? There's not a clear demarcation for this. Depending on how generous I am, this could really go either way for me. How can I know if my leadership/teaching is good enough for a 3 or if it's a 2? With the exception of leading a major organization itself, I've certainly done all the things described (I've tutored elementary school students, the occasional high school student, held a leadership position in a summer job) but I have no idea if that counts as "significant" or if I have a "low to moderate level of commitment." I'm similarly unsure on research and upward trend. You get the idea.

Basically the upshot is that I can reasonably get variations of like 10 points, which could be the difference between applying mostly to T20s vs applying to no T20s at all! For the time being I'm acting conservatively as I feel that's safer (plus I have reapplicant penalty, California resident penalty, MCAT retake penalty, and IA penalty, none of which are considered in the WARS), but on the other hand I don't want to "under-apply" when the time comes.
Post a WAMC thread

If I have volunteering in a clinical setting, would I list it under clinical experience, volunteering, or both?

Introduction

The LizzyM System

1. GPA
  2. MCAT
  3. Research
  4. Clinical Experience
  5. Shadowing
  6. Volunteering
  8. Miscellaneous
  9. Undergraduate School
  11. GPA Trend

Category 6 (LOW YIELD):

dL9GvKa.png

RDExzik.png

Scoring Methodology

Stats

iQdtnfI.png

Research Experience

Clinical Experience

Shadowing

Volunteering

Leadership and Teaching

Miscellaneous

Undergraduate School

GPA Trend

Discussion

First of all, thank you so much for making this. I made an account just to access your excel document (so I’m sorry if I’m using this site Incorrectly). Second, I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer.

1) I have maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout college (it’s a low tier college, so I know it doesn’t mean nearly as much). What do I put for the GPA trend part if there is no trend?
2) I am in charge of organizing a free clinic at my school in conjunction with a large non-profit that does this all over the country. The event is expected to serve 400-600 disadvantaged people in our community and surrounding communities, and will likely be donating around $200,000 in services. What I do, specifically, is manage a team that is in charge of the recruitment of medical professionals and student volunteers, promotion and marketing of our clinic to the community and communities surrounding us, fundraising to cover our budget (around $10,000), organization of meals for volunteers, organization of housing for the organization’s most important volunteers/employees, and communicating with the school and local police to ensure that both are satisfied with how we are running things. Would it be fair to give this a Level 3 for the miscellaneous category?

Thank you for your time.

1) I have maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout college (it’s a low tier college, so I know it doesn’t mean nearly as much). What do I put for the GPA trend part if there is no trend?

2) I am in charge of organizing a free clinic at my school in conjunction with a large non-profit that does this all over the country. The event is expected to serve 400-600 disadvantaged people in our community and surrounding communities, and will likely be donating around $200,000 in services. What I do, specifically, is manage a team that is in charge of the recruitment of medical professionals and student volunteers, promotion and marketing of our clinic to the community and communities surrounding us, fundraising to cover our budget (around $10,000), organization of meals for volunteers, organization of housing for the organization’s most important volunteers/employees, and communicating with the school and local police to ensure that both are satisfied with how we are running things. Would it be fair to give this a Level 3 for the miscellaneous category?

Thank you for your time.

Yes, 3 if you have been doing this for several months. If you started last week (very doubtful this is the case), then no.

Thank you for this thread! Quick question. In Research Level 4, does "at least 2 years" mean at least 2 academic years (fall and spring semesters) or does it mean at least 2 full years including summers?

Dumb question but what does this mean? What makes a personal hobby major enough that it would affect an application?

Hi,

Could someone advice if the score/categories apply to Canadian students applying to US med schools?
Thank you!

is there any reason why some schools have asterisks? ie UCSD and UCLA

is there any reason why some schools have asterisks? ie UCSD and UCLA
The asterisk indicates very strong in-state preference. That was not my experience with these schools, though, for what it’s worth.

I've noticed that this system seems not to apply well to those with low undergraduate GPAs and high graduate GPAs. I understand how nuanced this subject is and the factors involved. I'm wondering if there is a better system for this, or a method for accounting for this when calculating a score?

@Rwilli5 : Undergrad GPA is the one medical schools care by far the most about

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
The GPA calculation for MD schools do not really factor your graduate GPA, though DO schools do. At least for WARS, you should not expect to get a big bump for your graduate GPA.

I've noticed that this system seems not to apply well to those with low undergraduate GPAs and high graduate GPAs. I understand how nuanced this subject is and the factors involved. I'm wondering if there is a better system for this, or a method for accounting for this when calculating a score?