Wearing body Armour for personal safety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modest_anteater

Walgreens @ Austin, Texas.
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My friend in a not so jolly part of Flint, MI is a pharmacist and his DM refuses to agree to his requests to put up safety bullet proof glass in the pharmacy. He has been robbed twice in the last year in the store. He wants to start wearing Kevlar chest body armor under his employee uniform. Is this allowed? Any tips for staying safe in warzone-like areas? He has put up a sign that he printed on a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that says "No hats, hoods or caps!" and immediately will yell at anyone entering with a hat to take it off or leave the store. Maybe having a sign that says "no one under the age of 30 allowed in the store"? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No one under the age of 30 allowed in store?

You’re serious?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Back in my WAG days when robberies were occurring regularly I looked into this. What I found out is that there is different body armor that offers different protection and that it is all expensive. What protects you from a handgun may not protect you from a rifle and neither will not necessarily protect you from a knife. There is a lot of information on the internet. It also depends how you are attacked. Wear a vest and your groin is vulnerable. What really cut back on robberies is when the company installed time release safes. They still occurred but with far less frequency. If your friend invests in some body armor I can't see how they can stop him/her. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one under the age of 30 allowed in store?

You’re serious?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm not from Flint but in my city down the road from me there is a well known beer-liquor distributor that has a sign posted that no one under 26 is allowed on their property apparently due to too many fines/underage alcohol sales from fake IDs

How are the concealed carry laws in MI? Can he carry in the pharmacy? Best defense is a good offense. The more protection, the heavier the armor, but also harder to conceal and move.

You can always get lightweight level III armor or soft level II armor and just wear it underneath a sportcoat or dress shirt. I always carry in the office, but I couldn't wear armor everyday.

Being on the wrong end of being robbed a couple of times in my career (discussed in another thread), I came to the conclusion on body armor that the ranges involved wouldn't prevent a reasonably competent robber from a headshot, and for most AP rounds, the level of body armor needed to be worn that would work was too prohibitive on movement and too obvious to anyone paying attention that I was wearing (AZ, so open and concealed carry was common enough). Unless your robber is a complete maniac who didn't bother to case (unfortunately not in my case), it is very likely your robber will have the initiative on you if you are working and not just watching outside.

And what is the point of the sign post? You can't effectively outlaw stupidity or malice. Better just get the resume together and go elsewhere. I prefer nowadays to live and work in a violent crime-free workplace, where the men and women with firepower are uniformed and their weapons are standard issue.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m laughing at the dumb sign. You think someone willing to shoot you cares if you don’t like their hat?

I’ve worn armor. No way your buddy tolerates the weight of upper end soft armor every day and plate is just absurd. Get a better job

Reactions: 2 users
How are the concealed carry laws in MI? Can he carry in the pharmacy? Best defense is a good offense. The more protection, the heavier the armor, but also harder to conceal and move.

You can always get lightweight level III armor or soft level II armor and just wear it underneath a sportcoat or dress shirt. I always carry in the office, but I couldn't wear armor everyday.

Most major employers prohibit the carrying of weapons and certainly their use. There was maybe 5 years ago a walgreens pharmacist in Michigan that fired at armed robbers holding an employee hostage. They ran, the rph was fired and contested it something that it was his legal right to carry and he lost. The video could be found online.

Lord999 has the best advice and that is to have your friend find a new employer. I don't know if there is a way to significantly mitigate the risk of being robbed. Overnights are the worst, but they happen during the day. Knives, handguns, and rifles are used. I would definitely recommend to your friend to review company policy and procedure and also consider getting therapy. This is a workmans comp injury.

Hello,

My friend in a not so jolly part of Flint, MI is a pharmacist and his DM refuses to agree to his requests to put up safety bullet proof glass in the pharmacy. He has been robbed twice in the last year in the store. He wants to start wearing Kevlar chest body armor under his employee uniform. Is this allowed? Any tips for staying safe in warzone-like areas? He has put up a sign that he printed on a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that says "No hats, hoods or caps!" and immediately will yell at anyone entering with a hat to take it off or leave the store. Maybe having a sign that says "no one under the age of 30 allowed in the store"? thanks
It's been a while for me...but I have used it from time to time....You should definitely try before buy....Not likely anyone would notice under a shirt and a white coat unless you REALLY get the heavy model....Which leads to heavy and hot...both of which can be a problem..."depending" as usual....If your pal has been held up twice it's probably time to make a decision...which I know is tough in this environment..I'm sure he is aware that his DM could care less etc.etc. You guyz do realize that the trades are screaming for help...will train..pay well..and are busy.....Pharmacy school will be the road to ruin for a lot of you.....

Conceal carry or find a job that's not in a hell hole.

Most major employers prohibit the carrying of weapons and certainly their use. There was maybe 5 years ago a walgreens pharmacist in Michigan that fired at armed robbers holding an employee hostage. They ran, the rph was fired and contested it something that it was his legal right to carry and he lost. The video could be found online.

Lord999 has the best advice and that is to have your friend find a new employer. I don't know if there is a way to significantly mitigate the risk of being robbed. Overnights are the worst, but they happen during the day. Knives, handguns, and rifles are used. I would definitely recommend to your friend to review company policy and procedure and also consider getting therapy. This is a workmans comp injury.
I'm not sure what part you mean the pharmacist "contested and lost".... a private property owner has the right to restrict carry on their property so they can/should be able to fire you
a govt shouldn't restrict carry but some do so that might be what you meant if thepharmacist was arrested for carrying
......or you could mean that the pharmacist was charged for shooting a fleeing suspect, which is illegal in many municipalities unless you have reason to believe they was leaving to hurt others

I'm not sure what part you mean the pharmacist "contested and lost".... a private property owner has the right to restrict carry on their property so they can/should be able to fire you
a govt shouldn't restrict carry but some do so that might be what you meant if thepharmacist was arrested for carrying
......or you could mean that the pharmacist was charged for shooting a fleeing suspect, which is illegal in many municipalities unless you have reason to believe they was leaving to hurt others

The pharmacist was fired and filed a lawsuit against walgreens and lost. Just letting OP know even if it was legal, they still might end up out of work.

Worked at an independent which allowed carry conceal and open carry. So, I am comfortable with firearms, so I carried my springfield XDS in a belt holster. If anything it was a piece of mind.

Hello,

Lol what is flint paying nowadays? Better be at least 68/hr.

I'd just spring for the greyhound ticket man, Flint and MI in general is such Gar***e.

No employer will stop you from wearing kevlar, it falls under religious wear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious how concealed carry would help prevent being robbed. I suppose the pharmacist could play Clint Eastwood and try to out draw and fire on someone who presumably already has his weapon drawn and ready to fire. Still wouldn’t prevent the robbery in the first place if the robber didn’t know about the gun.

Perhaps a silent alarm button could be installed? Two robberies in a year should be more than enough to prompt a little LP response if nothing else.

I am curious how concealed carry would help prevent being robbed. I suppose the pharmacist could play Clint Eastwood and try to out draw and fire on someone who presumably already has his weapon drawn and ready to fire.

I don't think it would stop a robbery but it would give a person a chance to stay alive.

It would also give him a chance to get shot while he tried to play hero. Or to shoot an innocent bystander.
Or shoot back if the person was trying to hurt people.....but by all means, don’t carry if yoy don’t want to

There's that old saying: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. For concealed carry, safety training and range practice is key. It's not a responsibility to be taken lightly. You don't want ammo that's going to overpenetrate and hit an innocent bystander. Know what's behind your target. If it were the company's property that they were after and don't mean any harm to you, don't draw your CCW. If you, your family, or colleagues that you care for are in danger, then it's at your discretion to draw your firearm. I will protect myself, my staff, and my patients if any of them are ever put in danger in my office.

It's not so crazy that I need to wear armor at work, but I do put a plate in the back in of my car seat just in case someone shoots at me from the back and a few 33rd mags in my car just in case I got multiple assailants.

The problem I see with wearing body armor... very hard to conceal, makes you a target immediately.

I am curious how concealed carry would help prevent being robbed. I suppose the pharmacist could play Clint Eastwood and try to out draw and fire on someone who presumably already has his weapon drawn and ready to fire. Still wouldn’t prevent the robbery in the first place if the robber didn’t know about the gun.

Perhaps a silent alarm button could be installed? Two robberies in a year should be more than enough to prompt a little LP response if nothing else.
If you ever take a firearms class, instructors will teach when it's advantageous to pull out your firearm and when it's not. For example, when the perpetrator is distracted, etc. You don't need to be Clint Eastwood, you just need common sense.

IF you take your personal safety SERIOUSLY at all, the ONLY choice is

A full suit of Greenwich Plate Armour

I spent the 6 years working in a dangerous part of the city. When the riots were in full swing I wore soft body armor by US Armor. It was Level III and cost around $500.00. It was not very noticeable under a buttoned up smock. It did get very hot during the summer months.

Reactions: 2 users
Pre-pharm students should be required to read threads like this before proceeding with their education.

Reactions: 3 users
Pre-pharm students should be required to read threads like this before proceeding with their education.

I agree. Especially with the opoid epidemic, robberies in retail pharmacy aren't some rare occurrence. They are a real threat. It does not have to be in Flint, MI or Birmingham AL or Gary IN either.

Michigan has a reserve deputy sheriff program as well as other states. They would provide some great training and possibly issue some gear. Obviously working at a 3 letter you leave the firearm and police powers at home. But the training stays with the pharmacist, and the vest can be worn under a sweater.

I wonder. If they are thinking about arming teachers with guns in front of kids then a pharmacist with a gun, kevlar, or BP glass isn't a stretch. Oh wait, corporate may have to reimburse for these items, forget that.

The really, really bad stores are actually probably safer than the kinda bad stores because at least the really really bad ones have armed security (handguns, vests, etc) during business hours. I actually felt safe at my overnnight store in the inner city, had a trained, armed, vested body guard at night

Last edited:
I did a Walmart rotation and every pharmacist there had a 9mm on them. If it's against company policy though you will get fired.

Have you guys looked at bear spray?

Have you guys looked at bear spray?
So thats a weapon and most major pharmacies would fire you for possessing that. I have used pepper spray when getting attacked by dogs, it works but make sure you aim carefully. At least indoors you would not have worry about wind taking your burst.

I wonder. If they are thinking about arming teachers with guns in front of kids then a pharmacist with a gun, kevlar, or BP glass isn't a stretch. Oh wait, corporate may have to reimburse for these items, forget that.
I don’t think anyone should be expecting their pharmacy to purchase the gun.