weakest endo and perio residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groker2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of dental school and gpr for about two years. I want to become an endodontist ( first choice ) or a periodontist.

The biggest concern for me is that I have absolutely nothing for applicant strength. My dental school rank was average. And my board scores were in the low 80s. I don't expect much in the way of recommendation letters, and I don't know who to even ask for these.

What should I do? Are there any endo or perio programs that are realistically within my reach?

Members don't see this ad.

Wel sounds pretty screwed up to me...but u shud keep ur spirits up man..... dont know much about the USA system but scout around theres more than enuf info onnit

besta :)

Groker2009

In my opinion you shouldnt be looking for a weak endo program.
Insted you should start thinking of building up your CV.
If your ranks are low and your grades not enough, you should build up for a while within the speciality you want to pursue.

Why not start by making a diploma or some post-grad in Endo.
Why not applying for a recognized program outside the US.
Get some reaserch done in Endo, Publish it, even consider applying for a one year helping in an endodontic department.

It takes time to do that, actually I took almost 10 years to build up my CV.
I was in the same situation you are. Made a Diploma, was in a endodontic department 4 years as instructor, made my MSc, gave endodontic courses and lectures, took posters and presentations to the major dental meetings, etc etc

Wish you the best of luck and dont give up if that is really what you want.

Groker2009

In my opinion you shouldnt be looking for a weak endo program.
Insted you should start thinking of building up your CV.
If your ranks are low and your grades not enough, you should build up for a while within the speciality you want to pursue.

Why not start by making a diploma or some post-grad in Endo.
Why not applying for a recognized program outside the US.
Get some reaserch done in Endo, Publish it, even consider applying for a one year helping in an endodontic department.

It takes time to do that, actually I took almost 10 years to build up my CV.
I was in the same situation you are. Made a Diploma, was in a endodontic department 4 years as instructor, made my MSc, gave endodontic courses and lectures, took posters and presentations to the major dental meetings, etc etc

Wish you the best of luck and dont give up if that is really what you want.
I m a ftd periodontist.. 4 years of experience as an instructor.. gpa 3.55(bachelors) and 2.84(masters), boards- low 80's and toefl-90. good recommendations. i wish to join masters - perio program. can you suggest me.. whether i should pursue my application thru pass or directly to schools.. also ho do i ask for the volunteer program in perio in dental schools(by calling the dental school directly or something else)