Wayne State vs UMass

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDr.funnylookin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
Want some general feelings from others regarding this decision. Will likely be trying to match into a competitive specialty. I realize this might be easier if I knew now what area of the country I want to be in for residency, but I don’t know that at the present. Besides that, any general thoughts on the two schools or comparing the two would be great and appreciated. I feel as it is really balancing convenience and location (wayne State) with a better and more communal school (UMass). If you have any pros or cons of each school that I may have missed, feel free to comment those as well.
Thank you all, god bless!

Wayne State pros:
-IS
-close to family and I would be down to live in Detroit and catch tigers/pistons games etc.
-much cheaper (but trying not to factor money into the decision too much, will have help)
-ability to match in Michigan more easily, good reputation in Michigan/Midwest (good chance I will want to be back in Michigan eventually but not positive)

Cons:
-have heard negatives about the administration and it doesn’t seem like the school offers as much support and extracurricular activities for students as UMass.
-less supportive community feel than UMass
-not as presitigous

UMass pros:
-Students just seem so happy
-supportive community feel for sure
-could open up more competitive residency options at better institutions (ie. mass gen, tufts, BU, etc) around New England and elsewhere if I chose to remain away from Michigan for residency.
-way prettier facilities/campus
-excitement of going somewhere new and different

Cons:
-price (not trying to make it a deciding factor though)
-distance, harder to come home to see family/friends
-may make it harder to match back in Michigan? (If I want to)

Members don't see this ad.