Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a snooze fest in here. Second years, I know I'm glad Hematology is over. First years, I know you are having a tough January. You had Phys 1 last week, Clin Med 1 this week, and Phys/Biochem 2 next week.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a snooze fest in here. Second years, I know I'm glad Hematology is over. First years, I know you are having a tough January. You had Phys 1 last week, Clin Med 1 this week, and Phys/Biochem 2 next week.

It will make February feel like a vacation though

i haven't done real medicine in 8 months... and february i start sub I :( :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't done real medicine in 8 months... and february i start sub I :( :(

At least it's only 27 days! (since the 1st is a sunday). Really, probably only 26 days since you won't have to work the last saturday (you're at the same place I did sub-I/you had rads, right?). That's less than 4 weeks!!!! Yea!

At least it's only 27 days! (since the 1st is a sunday). Really, probably only 26 days since you won't have to work the last saturday (you're at the same place I did sub-I/you had rads, right?). That's less than 4 weeks!!!! Yea!

I have A.S.S. (Adv. Surgical Skills) for Feb and then the only "real" medicine I have left is ER in March. Then who really cares because we will be matched seniors....can't fricken' wait.

hmmm... that is true.... and it is why i chose February to be my sub-I month... I guess I will just go ahead and start the count down now.... I need to remember how to write notes and do physical exams!:eek:

Just out of curiosity - I was wondering how much you guys have been using the bedside ultrasound machines in your third and fourth year. They have been emphasizing ultrasound training since our first year - it is heavily stressed this year too and will even be included on our PD final. I don't mind learning how to use the ultrasound - in fact - I think it's great to have that luxury - but since I am originally from a third world country and plan on spending at least a few years there with MSF - I don't want to become too reliant on this $50,000+ technology/ultrasound and then be stranded without as much as a stethoscope in the middle of nowhere - without the confidence of doing a proper physical if I don't have a fancy ultrasound at the bedside.

Just out of curiosity - I was wondering how much you guys have been using the bedside ultrasound machines in your third and fourth year. They have been emphasizing ultrasound training since our first year - it is heavily stressed this year too and will even be included on our PD final. I don't mind learning how to use the ultrasound - in fact - I think it's great to have that luxury - but since I am originally from a third world country and plan on spending at least a few years there with MSF - I don't want to become too reliant on this $50,000+ technology/ultrasound and then be stranded without as much as a stethoscope in the middle of nowhere - without the confidence of doing a proper physical if I don't have a fancy ultrasound at the bedside.
Never used one - there is a push in the DMC to use ultrasound to place central lines - all the central lines I did were on the surgery service and they are . . . um . . . reluctant to use them, so I did it the low tech way

Didn't really touch them, except during OB and outpatient vascular surgery. I don't think it will really take away from PD skills... learning how to use one can only help you. Physical exam skills can only bring you so far.... don't worry about becoming to reliant on them though.

It's a new program for the classes behind ours to have ultrasound instilled in the education. Reason is that U/S is becoming more and more useful (can use it to evaluate CHF, pleural effusions, ascites...) plus many hospitals are requiring residents to use the machine in placing lines now (safety? I don't know... seems to me that if you know your anatomy and go between the SCM heads -- I said between!)

I don't know about other fields, but U/S is all the rage in Emergency medicine and has quickly become a staple in the curriculum.

I don't think I have ever been in a hospital without an ultrasound machine... maybe they exist in super rural areas, but I don't know.

I don't think I have ever been in a hospital without an ultrasound machine... maybe they exist in super rural areas, but I don't know.

US guided lines (esp in the ED) are rapidly becoming standard of care.
Also, nothing quite like an US to shorten up a code... no point in continuing if there is no cardiac activity.

omg my 7 month vacation is over!!!:(:(:(

omg my 7 month vacation is over!!!:(:(:(

Booo! :-( Just remember, 2 days down, no more than 26 to go! :)

Okay, so that will sound so much better when it's 18 down, no more than 10 to go

Members don't see this ad :)
Booo! :-( Just remember, 2 days down, no more than 26 to go! :)

Okay, so that will sound so much better when it's 18 down, no more than 10 to go

Picked up 4 patients on my first day!!

Yeah, so I get 4 days off, plus they are giving us a test (that doesnt count toward our grade) at the end of the month. So, hopefully that will buy me 2 more days off (1 to "study", 1 for the exam). So perhaps, I have 20 days to go! haha...

We don't get the day after call off, right?

Picked up 4 patients on my first day!!

Yeah, so I get 4 days off, plus they are giving us a test (that doesnt count toward our grade) at the end of the month. So, hopefully that will buy me 2 more days off (1 to "study", 1 for the exam). So perhaps, I have 20 days to go! haha...

We don't get the day after call off, right?

1. No -- since they have night float, you don't get the luxury of saying "I'm leaving because I'm post call... :-(

2. You have a test?????? We did NOT have a test. Is this hospital based? or for all of Sub-I's?

3. My senior never let me have more than 2 patients at a time "because it would help me learn better" but really it was so he had to write fewer notes (laziness...)

4. Yeah, 4 days off the whole month sucks -- same thing if you do an ICU rotatation. That's one big thing I love about EM. You get 10 days off per month on an EM month as a resident... and it gets better as an attending! (as long as your willing to sacrifice the rotating shift schedule effects and realize that your days of working are spent really working hard).

1. No -- since they have night float, you don't get the luxury of saying "I'm leaving because I'm post call... :-(

2. You have a test?????? We did NOT have a test. Is this hospital based? or for all of Sub-I's?

3. My senior never let me have more than 2 patients at a time "because it would help me learn better" but really it was so he had to write fewer notes (laziness...)

4. Yeah, 4 days off the whole month sucks -- same thing if you do an ICU rotatation. That's one big thing I love about EM. You get 10 days off per month on an EM month as a resident... and it gets better as an attending! (as long as your willing to sacrifice the rotating shift schedule effects and realize that your days of working are spent really working hard).

2. yeah, everyone has an exam, but it doesn't count toward our grade.... so really for all intensive purposes we don't have an exam but we will have to go to scott hall to mark 75 bubbles for 3 minutes...

3. yeah, i got put on the team with 1 intern rather than 2. I was thrilled when i got paged halfway through orientation with the news i would be splitting all patients with the other intern.

4. yeah, 10 days off rocks!

Last edited:
2. yeah, everyone has an exam, but it doesn't count toward our grade.... so really for all intensive purposes we don't have an exam but we will have to go to scott hall to mark 75 bubbles for 3 minutes...

3. yeah, i got put on the team with 1 intern rather than 2. I was thrilled when i got paged halfway through orientation with the news i would be splitting all patients with the other intern.

4. yeah, 10 days off rocks!

so do you know the days off/# of shifts for EM at sinai grace??

so do you know the days off/# of shifts for EM at sinai grace??

For the required rotation you generally have shifts 5 days per week, lectures on one of the off days and one full day off (sunday when I was at Receiving). I think they require 20 shifts during that month plus lectures.

Can any of the wayne alumns or any of my classmates who know more that me describe match day proceedings for me? Specifically can your significant other sit with you or do they have to stand off to the side? K. Black described it to us but I don't trust a word that comes from her mouth.

Can any of the wayne alumns or any of my classmates who know more that me describe match day proceedings for me? Specifically can your significant other sit with you or do they have to stand off to the side? K. Black described it to us but I don't trust a word that comes from her mouth.

your SO will not be sitting with you when you get your envelope. but nothing says that you can't wait to open you envelope until you are with your SO.
If you want to see for yourself (if you have some spare time to kill) you can watch previous match days at:
http://www.med.wayne.edu/news_media/streamingmedia/somevents/student_affairs.asp

If there's anyone around for the 'state of the school' meeting later today and wouldn't mind posting any interesting tidbits, it'd be much appreciated.

Match day is 1 month from tomorrow! YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Match day is 1 month from tomorrow! YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

#$@% i don't know how i should make my rank list.... should i go for really good reputation vs good reputation when good reputation involves not moving that far....??????????????

#$@% i don't know how i should make my rank list.... should i go for really good reputation vs good reputation when good reputation involves not moving that far....??????????????

Go wherever you think you and your wife will be happy -- that may involve not moving. I am sure you will have absolutely NO problem in the job market when finishing. :)

Go wherever you think you and your wife will be happy -- that may involve not moving. I am sure you will have absolutely NO problem in the job market when finishing. :)

i think i want to be a stay at home dad.... but able to sleep in everyday.

Hey guys (and gals),

Did a quick search on housing in this thread, but not much in terms of actual names. I was trying to decide where to find a place to stay, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The order of importance I think is:

1) Safe parking
2) Nearby supermarket (preferably Whole Foods or Trader Joes, or something like that)
3) Close to campus
4) Not loud.

The on-campus housing seemed convenient, but does anyone know if there is garage-type parking available? How's the food, too?

I looked into Troy (has a whole foods), but it seems very far away.

I looked into Royal Oaks, since many people seem to stay there, and will probably end up here by default if the other places don't really fit.

I think that if I live in Detroit, I might as well pick on-campus housing.

Would appreciate any advice! Thankss

For the love of God -- either stay in the riverfront in Detroit or stay in Royal Oak... :) And if having a good grocer near you, I would heavily suggest you pick Royal Oak/Ferndale.

Sorry I don't have names...

Take a look at Grosse Pointe. It's very safe, has private parks, lots of families. There's a Trader Joes in the village around Kercheval and St Clair, also a Kroger. The Caribou coffee in the Village is also a great place to study. There's also Borders, Panera, and a few other nooks to study at just to keep it interesting. The library in Grosse Pointe Park is pretty sweet too, it has a huge fireplace and is quiet and comfortable. Also studying in the park is nice, watching the boats go by... As for driving to school, I think it's faster than from Royal Oak. Usually 15-20 minutes on either 94 or Jefferson. Grosse Pointe has more families and less bars than Royal Oak, and is probably a little more conducive of studying.

Hey guys (and gals),

Did a quick search on housing in this thread, but not much in terms of actual names. I was trying to decide where to find a place to stay, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

1) Safe parking
2) Nearby supermarket (preferably Whole Foods or Trader Joes, or something like that)
3) Close to campus
4) Not loud.

The on-campus housing seemed convenient, but does anyone know if there is garage-type parking available? How's the food, too?

I looked into Royal Oaks, since many people seem to stay there, and will probably end up here by default if the other places don't really fit.

Hey guys (and gals),

1) Safe parking
3) Close to campus
4) Not loud.

Here's some links for the housing threads:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=266817
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=373611

They have lots of info, including names of places....

Hope they help.

Hey guys (and gals),

1) Safe parking
3) Close to campus
4) Not loud.

The problem with Detroit is that there is that it is basically dead downtown. It is no place to have a family. It has improved a little in the last year or so, as 2 grocery stores opened up downtown... but I still find myself going to Meijer in the burbs to get a lot of my produce. There are a few decent bars as well....

Anyway, what it came down to for me was did I want to spend 40-60 minutes driving EVERYDAY to and from the hospitasl or did I want to have a shorter drive to the hospitals and to school and only have that 40-60 minute drive to the burbs 2-4 times per month.... I hate driving and chose to live downtown for 3rd and 4th year (lived in a suburb the first 2 years... with the lectures being streamed, there is no reason to go in after gross anatomy). There are several places that are safe and have safe parking... there are a couple places that are by reasonable grocery stores. I think that most of the places are quiet...

Thanks for the information and the links everyone.

I'm going to go for the convenience of living on-campus. I was curious about a few things before I submit my form

1) What are the food options? I know there is on-campus dining, but is there a college town feel to it with lots of stores to choose from? Or at least a courtyard?
2) When is the deadline to submit these things in order to secure a place?
3) Are you allowed to live there for all 4 -years or do they kick you out after 2? (Like my undergrad)

Thanks!

Not sure where "on-campus" you plan on living. The undergrad campus has some food options, but it's a mile away from Scott Hall and I really only venture over there for the climbing wall in the gym. Typical fast food/cafeteria fare I think. Is there a dining plan? I don't know. There ARE some good eats closer to Scott Hall - Union Street, The Majestic, Cass Cafe, Motor City, Traffic Jam, Midtown Cafe all come to mind (try the Dragon Eggs at Union Street, they're awesome.) Scott Hall has a cafeteria for lunch, and the hospitals have cafeterias, Wendy's, Subway, Au Bon Pain, Biggby coffee. I think there's a grocery store just on the other side of 10 on Warren Here I marked it on google for ya

Honestly though, do yourself a favor and live in Royal Oak or Grosse Pointe. Both have Trader Joe's, and when you walk in there you'll feel like you're back home in Cali. You'll probably be streaming every lecture after Anatomy is over so being close to school doesn't matter. Try Craigslist and/or get on the schools roommate list.

Not sure about your other questions.

If you're absolutely set on campus housing (which I think you should reconsider), go for University Towers, it's closer to school, about midway between main campus and the med school.

However, like said before in the thread... go for the 'burbs or another one of the off-campus apartments; You'll probably be happier. But definitely check out the housing list that the school provides.... It'll give you some ideas on what's available in the area.

For what it's worth, when I started at SOM (many moons ago) housing for my class was approx. 1/3 downtown, 1/3 in RO and 1/3 in the other burbs.
By the time I graduated it was more like 1/3 various burbs, 1/2 RO, and 1/6 downtown.
Don't know the why of the shift but I figure that there must have been a reason.

While it can be nice to live close to school/work (as I do at the moment) there is also something to be said for the perception of "getting away" when you drive home at the end of the day.

Like everyone else, unless you feel very comfortable in the D, I would suggest that you look into the Grosse Pointes or RO. My personal preference was GP as it seemed to be a quicker drive in (with more alternate routes in order to avoid traffic/construction).
Also, as for the issue of drive times during MS3 and MS4... I was usually on the road before rush hour so that minimized that issue.

I'm going to go for the convenience of living on-campus. I was curious about a few things before I submit my form

1) What are the food options? I know there is on-campus dining, but is there a college town feel to it with lots of stores to choose from? Or at least a courtyard?
3) Are you allowed to live there for all 4 -years or do they kick you out after 2? (Like my undergrad)

Thanks!

From second hand information:
1. WSU is primarily a commuter school, so I wouldn't expect it to have a real "college town feel". But I spent VERY little time on main campus.
2. yes, but no idea when it is
3. Know a current MS4 that is still in University Towers (UT)

Thanks!

The funny thing is that Royal Oak really has much more of a college town feel to it :)

can anyone remark on the relative difficulty of the neurology exam as compared to the other pathophys units?

in other words, with the limited time that we have between now and the exam, do i need to kill myself studying in order to pass? or is passing not a problem but doing well is?

sorry, just trying to gauge how screwed i am at this point.

can anyone remark on the relative difficulty of the neurology exam as compared to the other pathophys units?

in other words, with the limited time that we have between now and the exam, do i need to kill myself studying in order to pass? or is passing not a problem but doing well is?

I obviously can't help you on how the test is going to be, but I recommend you look through the WebPath images if you haven't already to prep for the image questions. You can also do the neurodegen tutorial for more info.

The WHSO site also has some good concise review notes for a lot of the lectures like autoimmune, infection, and tumors.

I'm also not looking forward to 7:45 skills center tomorrow morning.

oh man, good luck... just remember, in 2 years the neuro exam won't matter and if you are anything like me, you won't even remember a neuro exam...

oh man, good luck... just remember, in 2 years the neuro exam won't matter and if you are anything like me, you won't even remember a neuro exam...

We had a neuro course???

We had a neuro course???

wait, is neuro the class about that thing that thumps in your chest or the slits in skin that allow absorption of oxygen from water?

I thought it was about the thing that makes urine come out of your ears if you hold it in long enough. Am I in trouble for tomorrow's test?

You silly! That's the next unit! I think you are in trouble...

Hello all.

I was just accepted today to the class of 2013. Would love to connect up with some of my fellows before I move back to Michigan.

Also I am interested in possibly sharing a house with someone.

But basically HI for now.

It's been a while since I have been around these parts. Is there a 2013 WSU thread? I searched and couldn't find one.

I thought it was about the thing that makes urine come out of your ears if you hold it in long enough. Am I in trouble for tomorrow's test?

btw.... did you love picking up that pack of 300 pgs to cover in like 5 days of class. lovely.

So, I was waitlisted at Wayne this last admission cycle and really, really, really want to turn that into an acceptance ASAP :xf:

Do you guys have any first hand knowledge about being waitlisted this late? Do most people that are waitlisted get in eventually? Also, did anybody send in a letter of intent highlighting why you want to go there and why you are a good fit for the program? I think it seems a little desperate but get the sense that they are kind of looking for that.

I would love any help you guys can give me.

Hope to see you next year!

So, I was waitlisted at Wayne this last admission cycle and really, really, really want to turn that into an acceptance ASAP :xf:

Do you guys have any first hand knowledge about being waitlisted this late? Do most people that are waitlisted get in eventually? Also, did anybody send in a letter of intent highlighting why you want to go there and why you are a good fit for the program? I think it seems a little desperate but get the sense that they are kind of looking for that.

I would love any help you guys can give me.

Hope to see you next year!

I don't have any personal experience with the wait list, but I would most definitely recommend that you send in a letter of intent - no doubt about that. In that letter, I would especially emphasize what it is about Wayne Med that makes it your first choice. I assume you have done a lot of research about Wayne, but I would do more and make the letter as "personalized" as possible. Make sure they know how important it is to you that you get admitted - not just to med school - but to Wayne. In my opinion - that's really what it comes down to. Also - if you do any more volunteering, shadowing, etc., make sure to update your profile with the school - which is a good way to add to your application. I believe that you can actually make an appointment - with the dean of admissions - to go over your application - and get advice on what you can improve on. If that is possible, I would do that to. Anything you can do to show them how much you want to be at Wayne will help. And I would definitely not be shy about it.

Good luck! I hope it goes well!!

btw.... did you love picking up that pack of 300 pgs to cover in like 5 days of class. lovely.

I picked up the course pack today - and was pretty upset - although I just noticed that most of the pages are powerpoint slides - which will hopefully make it a little better.

By the way - I am not sure whether any of the second years here are going to Dr. Bosch's review. I didn't go to the past three - and went today - I would most def. recommend it. And if for some reason you can't go - try to pick up the review sheets she hands out - they are quite relevant for the Step 1 and she has a number of really good case studies prepared each time.

I don't have any personal experience with the wait list, but I would most definitely recommend that you send in a letter of intent - no doubt about that. In that letter, I would especially emphasize what it is about Wayne Med that makes it your first choice. I assume you have done a lot of research about Wayne, but I would do more and make the letter as "personalized" as possible. Make sure they know how important it is to you that you get admitted - not just to med school - but to Wayne. In my opinion - that's really what it comes down to. Also - if you do any more volunteering, shadowing, etc., make sure to update your profile with the school - which is a good way to add to your application. I believe that you can actually make an appointment - with the dean of admissions - to go over your application - and get advice on what you can improve on. If that is possible, I would do that to. Anything you can do to show them how much you want to be at Wayne will help. And I would definitely not be shy about it.

Good luck! I hope it goes well!!

great advice. over the years i have heard of people having success with this method...

I picked up the course pack today - and was pretty upset - although I just noticed that most of the pages are powerpoint slides - which will hopefully make it a little better.

Yeah, that is one of the most disheartening things about 2nd year that I remember. You just get done reading 500 pages of notes like 3 times and right before the exam on those, you pick up another 500 pages. Don't worry, 2nd year is almost done.....

Yeah, that is one of the most disheartening things about 2nd year that I remember. You just get done reading 500 pages of notes like 3 times and right before the exam on those, you pick up another 500 pages. Don't worry, 2nd year is almost done.....

And when you hit residency you get to trade those course packs in for a nice thick text (or three) on your specialty.
At times I really wish that I were still an MS4... and then I come to my senses and realize I like having $ coming in and getting closer to making my loans go away.