WashU neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mantooth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the WashU program? Malignant? Call setup?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the WashU program is fantastic and I cannot be happier! In terms of malignancy, the program is structured like most in its tier: PGY-2 residents are primarily responsible for inpatient care on the floor, as night-float, on the consults team, and in the neuroICU. A chief is always on home-call and is easily accessible at all times. Also, there are always at least 3 neuro-residents somewhere in the hospital at all times. The census has its ups and downs, but has always been manageable and allows good time to work up new admitted patients. Call is overnight q6 for ~7 months during PGY-2 only. I get a few hours of sleep on average per call.

We currently get a month of rehab, vacation, and clinics each in addition to this, and I understand that soon there will be an additional month for elective/EMG in the PGY-2 year. Since the program is front-loaded, the PGY-3 and -4 years are mostly elective time plus pediatric outpatient/consults rotation, an ED rotation, and 3 months as a chief resident during the final PGY-4 year. PGY-3's also do another month in the neuroICU. A nice feature is the option to do your prelim year at WashU and your required psych rotation that year leaving more time for electives later in the residency.

We have on average of 2 conferences to attend each day--some required and others not. As I have described elsewhere, the patient population and case-load is almost perfectly diverse ranging from bread-and-butter epilepsy and stroke to rare, once-in-a-lifetime cases. Another unique and very nice feature of our program is the opportunity to evaluate patients with acute stroke for tPA.

Overall, the program is very nicely organized to provide time to take care of yourself, have a family/social life (more than half of us have kids), and still see enough patients to learn a ton of neurology. A lot of this is due to its relatively large size (12 PGY-2's a year). Our PD is about the best one could ask for, and the training shows in the skills and knowledge of our chiefs. And of course, WashU is gigantic with strength in every division of the department and research into some really state-of-the-art concepts (e.g. nanoparticles for stroke treatment, immunotherapy for Alzheimer's, etc).

I might be biased, but in terms of structure, training, and friendliness, I think WashU might be one of the very top neurology programs in the nation. I have even come to really enjoy being in St Louis (particularly as a resident when you still work on average 60-70 hrs/wk and make $43K/yr!). Please PM me if you have any other questions.

B

Thanks for the great post- it sounds terrific and I'm looking forward to my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know anything about the WashU program? Malignant? Call setup?

It's no doubt a program of unusual depth and breadth. Only a handful of other programs can match it. You will do very well coming out of this program, whatever your goals.

However, it's nonetheless about personal fit. For me, I found out that chemistry between fellow residents is key; nightfloat is essential for a busy center; time to read is important. Unfortunately alot of things you cannot know until you start working there or take the time to find out. So, if I were you, I would do second visits on your top choices and shadow a resident for a day to get a feel. Good luck.

Bonobo-

Thanks for the post. I checked out the website, which looks to be one year outdated, for the list of current residents. Don't worry, I wasn't trying to figure out who you are!

I saw that there are no D.O.'s. Within the program, what do you think the general opinion of D.O.'s is? Good, bad, who cares? Have you heard of any D.O. students interviewing?

-stochastic

I know that one of our beloved epileptologists is a D.O. I doubt that being a D.O. makes much of a difference at all. Remember that most medical students applying to neurology are M.D.'s, so that absence of D.O.'s at any particular program is a statistical possibility.

B

I interviewed there last year and there was 1 other DO interviewing with me. I was told that they had never actually taken a DO for the program however, but they certainly did not show any overt discrimination with me. Seemed like a strong place overall. Nice scedule (only like 6 months of call) with strengths in virtually every area. Thought the sleep lab (in a local hotel) was pretty impressive and unique. Was one of my top choices.

Their IM department rubbed me the wrong way though. Not that you necessarily have to do your internship there but the guy I interviewed with couldn't have been more elitist/arrogant about the program.

Their IM department rubbed me the wrong way though. Not that you necessarily have to do your internship there but the guy I interviewed with couldn't have been more elitist/arrogant about the program.

I was actually really impressed with their IM dept (I mean come on it's WashU!). The guy I interviewed with was very down to earth. The unusual thing about the IM prelim interview is that it lasts for one hour and it's only with one faculty member!

I was actually really impressed with their IM dept (I mean come on it's WashU!). The guy I interviewed with was very down to earth. The unusual thing about the IM prelim interview is that it lasts for one hour and it's only with one faculty member!

Just goes to show different applicants can get different impressions of the same place, and it behooves everyone to check programs out for themselves to draw their own conclusions. Best of luck to this year's class, enjoy your free dinners!