Washington schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synergee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is anyone familiar with how the admissions process works with the Universities in Washington (ie. UW and WSU)? If you sent in all your material over a month ago and still haven't heard anything, does that mean there's no hope?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay, I think. I'm still waiting for WSU to repsond.

Ooh...thats really good to know. I hesistate to call because i don't know if theyll like if we call them. But I think i should now after reading about your case. How or what exactly did you ask them?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by synergee

Is anyone familiar with how the admissions process works with the Universities in Washington (ie. UW and WSU)? If you sent in all your material over a month ago and still haven't heard anything, does that mean there's no hope?

I don't know about WSU, 'cause I didn't apply there. But I did apply to UW (where I'm currently an undergrad) and I'm fairly familiar with their application process (I just had my interview there last week). What the interviewers told me is that every week they separate the applications into 3 piles: competitive, non-competitive, and to-be-interviewed-this-week. So they basically choose their interviewees a week before the interview. So don't worry-- there's still a whole month to go. Each day they interview with about 8 people, and this goes on till mid-April. My friend (who applied last year) did not get an interview offer till the first/second week of April, so it's not uncommon to have to wait a while.

Hope I answered your question.....

thanks for the reply! The information you gave is very helpful and comforting! I'm still so worried though!

thanks for the reply! The information you gave is very helpful and comforting! I'm still so worried though!

does anyone know UW policy on out of state applicants?

Originally posted by CityMermaid
does anyone know UW policy on out of state applicants?

I know UW prefers in-state applicants, but they do accept out of state so you shouldn't let that stop you from applying.

Here's something I copied and am pasting directly from the UW School of Pharmacy Web site:

"Admission preference is given to residents of Washington State and residents from states participating in the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) pharmacy student exchange program"

If I remember correctly, they told me that the WICHE states are Hawaii, Alaska, and a few others... mainly those that lack pharmacy schools.

Although the UW prefers instate residents, Iam strongly inclined to believe otherwise. Last year, the UW accepted quite a number of out of state applicants. Most were from California. It is very strange they would accept so many out of state residents considering only 84 seats are available.

My general perception of the UW SOP is that they always have a large applicant pool each year, and the basis for which they make their decisions is mostly on GPA and PCAT. I am not making this generalization arbitrarily, but those who did gain acceptance last year, did have PCAT in the 90+ range and GPA's definately above 3.5+. This is not to discourage those who have applied.

The UW SOP is a tough school both to get into and graduate from.

WSU COP usually waits until the end of April to reply back to applicants. I know that last year, they accepted 101 applicants, for available 90 seats. I know this sounds strange, but they were gambling on the fact that 11 of the applicants would deny their offer of admission. I doubt this occurred.

I know grades do matter, but I personally know someone who had a 3.8 GPA and a 90 PCAT and didn't get accepted to the UW SOP. However, this girl that I know got in with a 3.3 and a 80-range PCAT score. So as far as I'm concerned, the interview has a HUGE impact on who they accept.

UW has 86 spots... and each year they place around 15 people on the waiting list. Last year (if I remember correctly), 7 people from the waiting list got in.

Just wondering -- who in here applied to UW this year??

I did and I'm from Chicago.
So far I haven't heard anything at all from them.