Wash U Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiki the alto

Daughter of the 80's
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get one of these started...Let's all celebrate my first thread! Meet me in St. Louis!

Members don't see this ad.

kiki the alto said:
I just wanted to get one of these started...Let's all celebrate my first thread! Meet me in St. Louis!

hey kiki,
i'm going to wash u, too! congrats on your first thread.

sparky

Hi guys,

I will be there too! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys...I just thought that Wash U ought to have a Class of 2009 thread just like other schools do. I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys and living in St. Louis after growing up in Phoenix...seasons, yay! And those after-exam keggers...Gotta love the Anheuser-Busch company for being in town. What are you all looking forward to?

kiki the alto said:
Thanks guys...I just thought that Wash U ought to have a Class of 2009 thread just like other schools do. I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys and living in St. Louis after growing up in Phoenix...seasons, yay! And those after-exam keggers...Gotta love the Anheuser-Busch company for being in town. What are you all looking forward to?

Yeah, I'm dying to tour the Anheuser-Busch company. That's gonna be fun. The kegger sounds like a riot. I think wash u is more chilled out than sdn would have you believe. i grew up in central california, so i loved the sf giants. but, i was always a cardinals fan, too, so i really, really want to go to some baseball games. it would be great to see one this summer, the last season in busch stadium! i'm pretty stoked about wash u... :love:

i hope some other wash u people find this thread!

Sparky Man said:
Yeah, I'm dying to tour the Anheuser-Busch company. That's gonna be fun. The kegger sounds like a riot. I think wash u is more chilled out than sdn would have you believe. i grew up in central california, so i loved the sf giants. but, i was always a cardinals fan, too, so i really, really want to go to some baseball games. it would be great to see one this summer, the last season in busch stadium! i'm pretty stoked about wash u... :love:

i hope some other wash u people find this thread!

If you want a ticket to a stadium game, be prepped to spend some money....

Tickets are hot this season.

chanjurban said:
If you want a ticket to a stadium game, be prepped to spend some money....

Tickets are hot this season.

thanks chanjurban. yeah, i bet the prices are pretty outrageous. i guess i can add the cardinals to the list of those that will be taking lots of money from me in st. louis!!! gosh, the tuition is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey all,

just got the call from dr. dodson today! :) as long as my fiance gives st. louis the 'thumbs up', i'll be seeing you guys at washu (and hopefully some cardinal games, too)!!!

hey for you guys wanting to see the cards this season, i know that we got free tix to a cards game this year during our orientation, and i don't see why they wouldn't do that again.
congrats everybody and see you here in august.

I'll be in St. Louis this August. I'm excited! Mostly at this point I'm looking forward to the nice low Midwestern cost of living. Coming from DC, I'm going to have to keep telling myself that just because the rent is lower than what I pay now for half an apartment, doesn't mean I can actually afford it as a med student. :)

Superdevil, congrats on getting in! I'll be excited to see you there.

Does anyone know when they're moving? I'm thinking about moving at the very start of August to have settling-in time before orientation.

thanks, lorelei--its been a loooong time since we first met at OSU. hopefully i'll be seeing you soon! :)

if i go to washu, i'm targeting a late-july move, as my fiance needs time to settle in and look for a job.

btw, does anyone know when orientation is and when classes begin?

I'll be there! :)

Looks like orientation starts Aug. 9, classes Aug. 15.

Good luck at WashU you guys! I was really impressed with the people and program there, so it was hard for me to pass up. Anyway, I am sure that you will have a great time there :)

Treg

Members don't see this ad :)
cards tickets are suprisingly affordable as long as you don't care where you sit. they have certain days where tickets in the upper deck are $5, and you can definitely move down a few innings in. st. louis is a great sports town :)

Hey guys, I found out that I got off the waitlist about a week ago! Hope you all have a great summer and I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

So I'll post the same dilemma I described in the Wash U waitlist thread in case anyone reads this but not the other. So I just got off the waitlist for Wash U and now have to decide between there and a full scholarship at UMaryland. I'm from Maryland and my family and many of my friends will be in the area. Money isn't a huge huge issue, but it would be nice if I didn't have to rely on my parents to pay 50k/yr. That's a lot of guilt. Essentially I think it boils down to how much my school choice would ultimately affect my choice of residency and whether, if there is an effect, it would be worth 160k over 4 years. There's also the matter of a new relationship in the DC area, but I feel that it would be unwise to let that play a significant role in the decision process. At any rate, any advice/perspective you guys could provide would be appreciated,

thanks,
Dan

As awesome as Wash U is, totally go for the full scholarship...very very very few people get out of med school with that little debt. You could take on any career you wanted in medicine with a situation like that. For me it was between some debt at U of A and a little more at Wash U, and that meant that moving up to Wash U was completely worth it. For you, I would advise you to hang on as tight as possible to a financial situation as sweet as that. Congrats !

Yeah, I'd go for the full scholarship, honestly.

My own question: when are you guys planning to go looking for apartments in St. Louis? Here in DC you pretty much have to look 2 months before you're planning to move; I'm hoping a month ahead of time is enough in St. Louis.

lorelei said:
Yeah, I'd go for the full scholarship, honestly.

My own question: when are you guys planning to go looking for apartments in St. Louis? Here in DC you pretty much have to look 2 months before you're planning to move; I'm hoping a month ahead of time is enough in St. Louis.

Hey lorelei,
I'm hoping the same. I can't get to St. Louis until Late June. Hopefully everything's not gone!!!

Sparky

I can't get out there until at least late June either...that's gonna be strange if there's little apartment space left. If nothing else I guess I could live in Olin, but I'm sick of being a dorm dweller...dorm life sucks! I'm getting married in December and I'm ready for an apartment. Party at my place some weekend!

Here's a list of apartments from the MSTP guide:
http://mstp.wustl.edu/links/apartmentguide.html

I recommend the Park 44 Apartments (because of there proximity, price, and amenities).

If you're not coming to St. Louis until late, at least call the apartment people first, and they might be able to hold an apartment for showing until later.
Just a thought.

Jason

Anybody know what a neighborhood around the campus is called where there are homes within walking distance? I am thinking of buying a house.

Don't forget Craigslist (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/) in your apartment-hunting arsenal. I was actually surprised St. Louis didn't have a bigger Craigslist presence, but there are still plenty of postings to sift through.

I'll be there in late June for a research rotation. I can't wait to meet everyone!

I think we're going to have an awesome class. Does anyone know if that Molecular Foundations of Medicine pre-quiz is up online yet?

hey all,

just wanted to say i'm officially on board with you guys and can't wait to meet up at/before orientation! I'm looking at apartments in west county (or whatever its called) next week. i'm leaving town thursday, so the plan is to sign a lease by then. its crunch time!

oh, and as for the pre-quiz, i'm not exactly looking foward to it. i did take 2 biochem classes as an undergrad, but i'm not sure how much i'll remember at this point. it would kind of tick me off to have taken those classes and then basically have the pre-quiz tell me i'm still a remedial student! :scared: but hey, what's a good summer without some quality time with your favorite biochem textbook? ;)

am i the only person not looking to live in the central west end?

superdevil said:
hey all,

just wanted to say i'm officially on board with you guys and can't wait to meet up at/before orientation! I'm looking at apartments in west county (or whatever its called) next week. i'm leaving town thursday, so the plan is to sign a lease by then. its crunch time!

oh, and as for the pre-quiz, i'm not exactly looking foward to it. i did take 2 biochem classes as an undergrad, but i'm not sure how much i'll remember at this point. it would kind of tick me off to have taken those classes and then basically have the pre-quiz tell me i'm still a remedial student! :scared: but hey, what's a good summer without some quality time with your favorite biochem textbook? ;)

am i the only person not looking to live in the central west end?

hey...west county is a very nice area to live in. But, to get to school every morning, you would most likely be taking 40/64, and traffic is terrible on this highway during rush hour. Have you thought about may be living near hampton ave (the apts there are closer to hwy 44, but i'm sure you can cut through some road)?
Hope this helps

guys don't worry at all about that pre-quiz. they probably won't even look at it - and no one i know even really remembered how they did. and no one really read before getting here - that would just be ridiculous. so just do what you need to do but don't stress about it at all.
plus as i remember its really not hard at all. and the stuff thats "hard" is just stupid little stuff that requires memorization that you know you have seen before but dont remember anymore. so no worries, enjoy your summer.

medicinehopeful said:
hey...west county is a very nice area to live in. But, to get to school every morning, you would most likely be taking 40/64, and traffic is terrible on this highway during rush hour. Have you thought about may be living near hampton ave (the apts there are closer to hwy 44, but i'm sure you can cut through some road)?
Hope this helps
we are looking in kirkwood (which is easily reached via I-44), but the apartments available by taking I-64-->I-270 are the nicest and cheapest. for 4 years as an undergrad, i had a 30 minute one-way commute, and i'm not opposed to doing it again. of course, if its even worse than i'm imagining, then i'll just move closer next year.

i do have a question about driving around st. louis and west county that someone may be able to answer. i've been looking at some places in northern kirkwood/manchester/etc. mapquest says the quickest route, of course, is to take the dreaded I-64. according to the maps i've been devouring, though, if the traffic on I-64 is simply too much to handle at specific times, it seems like it would be pretty easy to just take I-44 and then take big bend road north from there. is that as do-able as it sounds?

eerie234 said:
guys don't worry at all about that pre-quiz. they probably won't even look at it - and no one i know even really remembered how they did. and no one really read before getting here - that would just be ridiculous. so just do what you need to do but don't stress about it at all.
plus as i remember its really not hard at all. and the stuff thats "hard" is just stupid little stuff that requires memorization that you know you have seen before but dont remember anymore. so no worries, enjoy your summer.
aaahhhh. thanks for the words of wisdom. :thumbup: i guess i was probably more annoyed than worried. no biggee.

superdevil said:
i do have a question about driving around st. louis and west county that someone may be able to answer. i've been looking at some places in northern kirkwood/manchester/etc. mapquest says the quickest route, of course, is to take the dreaded I-64. according to the maps i've been devouring, though, if the traffic on I-64 is simply too much to handle at specific times, it seems like it would be pretty easy to just take I-44 and then take big bend road north from there. is that as do-able as it sounds?
Why not get off 44 at Kingshighway instead? Getting off at Big Bend you will end up a very long way from the medical center with no real convenient or direct route the rest of the way.

Smoke This said:
Why not get off 44 at Kingshighway instead? Getting off at Big Bend you will end up a very long way from the medical center with no real convenient or direct route the rest of the way.
i meant to take that route home to kirkwood from the med center, not to the med center. ;)

superdevil said:
i meant to take that route home to kirkwood from the med center, not to the med center. ;)

Big Bend is a VERY long road with lots of signals. You'd probably be better off on the highway.

what do you guys think of the recommended computer? do we really need to go with the one suggested, or would we be able to get by with other laptops (like a dell, etc). do we really need some fancy configuration? the computer suggested by wash u seemed to be way more expensive than others i've looked at... :oops:

smarmy said:
what do you guys think of the recommended computer? do we really need to go with the one suggested, or would we be able to get by with other laptops (like a dell, etc). do we really need some fancy configuration? the computer suggested by wash u seemed to be way more expensive than others i've looked at... :oops:

I think I'll pick my own computer. Gees....

smarmy said:
i'm currently building an extremely powerful desktop for less than $1600+ or whatever that pre-built laptop costs. i've never had a laptop, as i don't really care for them, but if class starts and i really just can't get along without one, i'll just build a nice one for ~$800.

sometimes i can't help but laugh at these computers that schools suggest that their students buy. you'd think that schools could get better deals...

in other words, its just a suggestion--do whatever you like. :)

edit: i just remembered that the computer is actually a tablet, which may turn some people on. they're pretty neat and all. still, for a gateway at that price, i'll pass. ;)

anyways, what r the school stated requirements for a computer?? can u give specifics...

nevermind on the computer question...i actually decided on baylor instead of wash u.....sorry to say goodbye to y'all, but enjoy orientation!

Last edited:
Hey all - I will coming to WashU too - but for 8 years (blame the MD/PhD program). I came to our revisit weekend in May and we got a tour of different properties. If you ask me, Park 44 is crap. Del Coronado has wall to wall carpets (if you like that, go for it - it's the closest and most decent. I hate wall to wall rugs, so I didn't go for it). Park 44 is humid and dingy. West End Terrace was also a nono for me. My boyfriend and I just found an apartment a block away from the med school - we have a view of Siteman basically from our window. The person next door is a Children's resident. We were lucky to have found this place. My boyfriend came down to St.Louis last week and it took him 2 days to find this place. We're both coming from the East Coast and let me tell you that it is MUCH, MUCH easier to find a place in Saint Louis. I think that there will be more opening in August than in July. June and August are the big opening months apparently. But July is easy too. Check craigslist, though the St. Louis craigslist is much smaller compared to Boston or NYC. And also walk around the CWE if u wanna live there - there are signs everywhere for apartments. I wanted to be close to school and lab, so I love my location. Others may find Clayton better, or the Loop, or DeBalievere.
I start a lab rotation on July 5th with a few other peeps - we're all anxious to meet the rest of you in August. "Make sure you're professional" --> love that part of that letter we all got. I'm not a big sports fan, but I think the Art Museum and the Contemporary Art Museum are decent. Otherwise, I'll be hitting Chicago's art scene so let me know if you wanna join. I'm also going to be organizing our first year LGBTQ group, and allies are always welcome. I'm also thinking of starting a Medical Student for Choice group. It was attempted in the past, but not successfully resolved. I'm soooooo excited to be coming to WashU and I can't wait to meet u all!

I got a packet about WUMP (public health plunge or some such thing) the other day. It sounds pretty interesting - is anyone planning to do it? It goes from August 1-5, but I don't think I'll move until the 1st so I probably won't apply.

I'm going to St Louis this Sunday-Tuesday to look at apartments. I've been finding a lot of promising-looking stuff on craigslist.

lorelei said:
I got a packet about WUMP (public health plunge or some such thing) the other day. It sounds pretty interesting - is anyone planning to do it? It goes from August 1-5, but I don't think I'll move until the 1st so I probably won't apply.

Sounds interesting to me, too, but I'm going to have to get more information ... I'm planning to live in Olin the first year, and hadn't been going to move in till the 6th ... so I don't know that it will work out. Have to check into that.

Good luck with finding an apartment! :)

Hi guys. Do you know anything about the Sprint/Cingular Cell phone washu discounts? I found out about that in the Disorientation guide. I need to get a cell phone soon so I was wondering about that.

dhoonlee, I'd definitely appreciate some info on one bedrooms (possibly studios) that you find to be decent. I'm getting married in December and find it's a great excuse not to live in Olin. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be best to bring a new husband into? Studios strike me as being just a tad too small for that.

Wow...thanks dhoonlee! I never expected so much info...that's very helpful. I think you're right that we'd probably need a 1Bedroom just for the sake of being able to have some private space. I've found a few places I want to check, just to see if they have anything available. Thanks :)

I just got back from my apartment-hunting trip. I stayed away from a lot of the managed buildings, because I want a one-bedroom (I have cats and a lot of stuff) yet don't have a lot of money, and big buildings tend to cost more. Also I like the old-fashioned charm and hardwood floors that you're more likely to get in a duplex or small building. I did a lot of looking on Craigslist, as well as just driving around the CWE and getting phone numbers from "For Rent" signs.

If you are willing to live a 10-minute drive or so from school, the Botanical Gardens area has a TON of small apartments, some very reasonably priced. I felt like the neighborhood was safe and pretty, though not as cool as the CWE. Obviously, doing the mom&pop landlord thing comes with downsides, like no one to receive your packages, and no 24-hour emergency maintenance. However, you can get a much more charming place (if you're into that) for cheaper, and they're often more flexible as well.

Assuming you want to move in around August 1, as I do, I found out that about now is a good time to go if you're looking for management-company places: people have just given their notice for the end of July, so there will be stuff available still. However, if you want to go the Craigslist route you want to wait a few weeks, because right now the landlords are looking for tenants who will move in July 1 or 15, and you're likely to have to pay extra for a later date.

I actually haven't made my decision yet; I am vacillating between a $600 place three blocks from school and half a block from cool CWE stuff, and a $450 place near the Botanical Gardens that I actually liked a little better. I'm debating whether living close enough to walk to everything is worth an extra $150. If anyone has input on that feel free to weigh in :)

Oh, and if anyone's considering living outside of the CWE I checked out a LOT of neighborhoods (my boyfriend was looking for a place too) so I can list my impressions of those if you want.

Hey there,

I'm moving out of my apartment in the Villages of Wyncrest (www.villagesofwyncrest.com) on August 1, and I'm wondering if anyone wants to sublet. I'll have the month of August and September left on my lease, but the managers are really cool and would definitely let you keep renting longer than that. My apartment's in a great, *safe* neighborhood that's only a couple mins from The Loop and less than 10 mins to the medical campus. There's also free parking out the wazoo in the subdivision. Another perk is that the maintenance is 24/7. My specific apartment is 550 sq.feet, it has a ton of closet space, and it's got central air (of course). It's also directly in front of the laundry room/work-out facility, and - even better - it's super close to the pool. (Seriously, the pool here is amazing. It's water temp is perfect, there are tons of plants and pretty flowers everywhere, and there are lots of sunbathing chairs). Anyway, let me know if you're interested! I pay $550/month, but I'm only asking $400/month to sublet during August and September. In addition, gas/electric should run about $40/month, and I can leave the cable internet on for you for $30/month if you'd like.

Gimme an e-mail if you'd like to check it out! There are tons of Bears here, as well as SLU and UMSL students, so you'd be in good company.

Take care,

Emily
[email protected]

Well, it's hard to believe orientation is so soon...I'm driving out next week and moving into Olin for the semester. I'm very excited to meet you all this year...going out for drinks, going to the Zoo, the Dean's party at the ballgame...yeeha.