Want to weigh career paths -- guaranteed top 20 med vs. Wharton

SmithAlias137

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is not what you will want to hear, based on reading your quandary, but I would recommend that you step back for a moment, and enjoy the time that you have right now to be a "kid" for the last time in your life. That may sound like I'm some old dog longing for the glory days of my youth, but look at it this way - one of the biggest problems that physicians today face is burn-out. I know this concept is incomprehensible to you right now, but you will know exactly what I mean even when you get into medical school. Med school is designed to push you to the brink of what you thought was possible from a learning standpoint. Your first two years, your thid and fourth year clerkship and your residency will change your perspective on medicine and you will become disenchanted and jaded at some points of your career by the reality of a wayward system of healthcare - but I digress... The medical school does not make the man/woman. I attended a medical school that no one has ever heard of in a rural, no-name town, but we have graduated some seriously influential, bright, motivated, competitive, and overall impressive individuals who outshine their competition from ANY school at their hospitals. You will do great anywhere you go if your apply yourself to do so. Curriculum is identical at all medical schools. Board exams are standard nation wide. Having ranted now, I would recommend that you do your undergrad in a place and a field that you feel relieved your stress right now, and lets you live the 18-year-old college experience. You will have plenty of time and subject matter to worry over for the rest of your life in medicine.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to college next year and I've got two options that I really can't choose between.

Option A is combined program with guaranteed acceptance into a top med school. The undergrad is good but not "HYPS." I've visited and I loved the fit, the atmosphere. I'd really be happy here and the students in this program are some of the smartest I've seen. Not to mention I'd be guaranteed into med school -- to clarify, I'm very sure I want to be a doctor. Guaranteed med school means I'd be able to spend my time pursuing economics/entrepreneurship/consulting/finance -- my other main interest. I wouldn't have to spend hundreds of hours shadowing and volunteering just to show med schools the interest I know I already have. But my concern is that this is the safe option. I'll admit it: I'm ambitious -- in my career I don't just want to see patients. I want to change the system, to have a scalable impact. I wonder if this is the easy route, if I could get into a better med school, become a better physician/professional if I worked hard the next four years.

Option B is a dual degree at UPenn between bioscience and Wharton. Obviously, it offers more opportunities -- I can be premed in this program, but it is not super common. Of the premeds, some people get into top 10 schools, others go on to top 30 med schools. I'd get fascinating internships at pharmaceuticals, banking firms, etc. The kids here are also really bright, and I'd have the Wharton name. I might be able to work in consulting for a year or two before going to med school (which would be awesome! -- although I know one person who is doing this at the other program, too). But there are some downsides -- I'd be slaving away constantly to get into med school. Penn is also a very intense party school, and I don't know if that fits my personality as much. I might find it hard to compete in this environment. If I didn't succeed, I might get a worse med school than I have now. For someone wants to get into academic medicine, medical leadership, possibly industry/pharma, medical school prestige is unfortunately important. Oh, and it's about 30% more expensive. My family is willing to pay for either one, but the difference is not trivial.

That's where I stand. Two very different paths and I've got 6 days to decide. I'm curious to hear some opinions from people I don't know. Take the sure thing or live ambitiously while I still can?

I know you want to by anonymous but it would be more helpful if you disclosed the other school (and the associated med school). Feel free to PM me if you would like.

For example, if the other school is Brown PLME, then I'd lean toward Brown PLME.

I'm going to college next year and I've got two options that I really can't choose between.

Option A is combined program with guaranteed acceptance into a top med school. The undergrad is good but not "HYPS." I've visited and I loved the fit, the atmosphere. I'd really be happy here and the students in this program are some of the smartest I've seen. Not to mention I'd be guaranteed into med school -- to clarify, I'm very sure I want to be a doctor. Guaranteed med school means I'd be able to spend my time pursuing economics/entrepreneurship/consulting/finance -- my other main interest. I wouldn't have to spend hundreds of hours shadowing and volunteering just to show med schools the interest I know I already have. But my concern is that this is the safe option. I'll admit it: I'm ambitious -- in my career I don't just want to see patients. I want to change the system, to have a scalable impact. I wonder if this is the easy route, if I could get into a better med school, become a better physician/professional if I worked hard the next four years.

Option B is a dual degree at UPenn between bioscience and Wharton. Obviously, it offers more opportunities -- I can be premed in this program, but it is not super common. Of the premeds, some people get into top 10 schools, others go on to top 30 med schools. I'd get fascinating internships at pharmaceuticals, banking firms, etc. The kids here are also really bright, and I'd have the Wharton name. I might be able to work in consulting for a year or two before going to med school (which would be awesome! -- although I know one person who is doing this at the other program, too). But there are some downsides -- I'd be slaving away constantly to get into med school. Penn is also a very intense party school, and I don't know if that fits my personality as much. I might find it hard to compete in this environment. If I didn't succeed, I might get a worse med school than I have now. For someone wants to get into academic medicine, medical leadership, possibly industry/pharma, medical school prestige is unfortunately important. Oh, and it's about 30% more expensive. My family is willing to pay for either one, but the difference is not trivial.

That's where I stand. Two very different paths and I've got 6 days to decide. I'm curious to hear some opinions from people I don't know. Take the sure thing or live ambitiously while I still can?

TLDR. But i choose Option C. Good luck.