want to know about marragie

alana

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a senior and I would like to get married this summer, and then take a year off and go to medical school. is anyone out there a newly wed in medical shool. my parrents are aginst it but I hope you have happier advice.

thanks much very nervious

Members don't see this ad.

My fiance and I live together and are getting married next summer. I'm a first year and I love having someone to come home to. My laundry doesn't pile up, I get warm meals every night, the house is clean, and I have a nice body to snuggle up to at night. It is great to have a support system here with me. On another note, living with someone can be quite an adjustment. My fiance and I had already been living together for 3 years before he came here with me. I'm not sure what your situation is, but it is just a side note. Good luck!

thanks so much. at another time when you get a chance I would like to speak to you further about this. because I tried to speak to my parrents about it. And they went a little crasier then I had planned for. thanks agian

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by alana
I tried to speak to my parrents about it. And they went a little crasier then I had planned for.

You're an adult. Maybe a young and inexperienced one, but still an adult. Your parents should be a source of support and wisdom for you. If they are going crazy, then they are neither right now and clearly do not realize you are an adult. It is fine for them to disagree, but the conversation should be civil and both sides need to listen and be open to the other's thoughts.

How was your demeanor? You teach/show people how to treat you (including your parents). Did you/do you act childish? Do they have reason to continue treating you like a child and go crazy? Do you first seek to understand, then be understood (are you even listening to them)? Most of the time, whether we like to admit it or not, our parents are right. When we're 22, we think we know everything, but our parents have "been there, done that".

I hope you are able to work it out. Good luck.

In the beginning of school, it might be hard having school and a relationship. It's not going to be smooth sailing. But as time goes by, you'll be able to adjust and make some time for your significant other. Good luck!!!:)

There are tons of people who go to medical school just after getting married and tons more who get married during medical school (like me). Everyone I've talked to has said their spouse has been a great source of support. However, I am a big fan of people living together before they get married because learning how to adjust to the everyday issues of money, etc. is the hardest part. That way if things don't work out, it's a lot easier to just move out and break up than to get a divorce (not that I think your relationship won't last). I think if you do that for a couple months, then get married, then start med school, you'll be glad you did.

I have seen a lot of divorces among my classmates/acquaintances during medical school and residency. The spouses need to be very understanding of the demands of this career, especially during training. Then again, if one's marriage survives through this, the rest will be a piece of cake.

Good luck.

I think medical school is difficult and taxing on relationships whether the couple is married or not.

Originally posted by gwyn779
I am a big fan of people living together before they get married because learning how to adjust to the everyday issues of money, etc. is the hardest part.

Statistics show significantly higher divorce rates for couples who live together first. Go figure.........

I'm sure someone ou there has a good explaination for this.

Originally posted by thackl
Statistics show significantly higher divorce rates for couples who live together first. Go figure.........

YIKES! And you're going to be a doctor? These "statistics" you mention are from a series of "studies" done by a small, private organization called the National Marriage Project. The fundamentally flawed studies made some very brash assertions about the misery caused by cohabitation (increased rates of divorce in eventual marriages, increased domestic violence, decreased health and happiness) and therefore recieved lots of press coverage, which caused a tidal wave of people who believe everything they read parrotting these urban myths, passing them on by word of mouth as fact.
To quote an excellent critique of the NMP study:
"The truth is, although it is widely accepted that marriage rates are closely tied to economics, most of the studies cited in the report do not control for socioeconomic status. On average, married couples have higher incomes than unmarried couples -- most couples only get married when they can afford to do so. So studies that purport to compare the happiness, domestic violence, or health differences between married and unmarried people are actually seeing effects of wealth. Wealthier people have better health care, safer neighborhoods, better access to education, and more choices in their lives. Living together without marriage isn't really their problem -- poverty is.
The cohabitation-divorce link is equally dubious. Multiple studies have shown that people who choose to cohabit are, on average, significantly less religious and more likely to believe divorce is an acceptable choice in a marriage gone bad. People who marry without living together first, on the other hand, tend to be more religious and more likely to be strongly opposed to divorce. It's no surprise that these two different groups of people act differently; it would hardly be newsworthy to say that people who are against divorce are less likely to divorce. "

I've never posted here before... I actually was just curious to see what my boyfriend is always reading, but I can't help stomping out the flames of ignorance wherever they pop up. The notion that one could "ruin" or "doom" an otherwise great relationship simply by signing a lease (and that one small study by a biased organization "proves" it) is too ridiculous to bear.:laugh:

Originally posted by StealthFille
YIKES! And you're going to be a doctor? These "statistics" you mention are from a series of "studies" done by a small, private organization called the National Marriage Project.

Marriage #1 - Didn't "shack up" - Divorce

Marriage #2 (next year) - Will "shack up" - Happily ever after :confused:

YIKES! And you're going to be a doctor? These "statistics" you mention are from a series of "studies" done by a small, private organization called the National Marriage Project.

HOLY CRAP!!! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go withdraw my acceptance now......:smuggrin:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. However, I sincerely believe people of science must check their facts before peddling malicious mythology with a malignant political agenda.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, while we're at it, I would REALLY love to know what made an educated person like you take silly propaganda so seriously? You're not a conservative apologist, are you??

Actually, while we're at it, I would REALLY love to know what made an educated person like you take silly propaganda so seriously? You're not a conservative apologist, are you??

A marriage counselor told me about this. My wife and I went for a while as she was treated for post child birth depression and we asked some questions about not "shacking up" before getting married and starting our family so quickly (oops #1 and oops #2).

Anyway, I'm so glad you have time to verify everything you hear. FWIW, most Dr.'s never read half the studies they quote (I'm not saying it's right). Please go pick on someone else now...... I'm sure your BF loves it.

Please go pick on someone else now...... I'm sure your BF loves it.

I apologize; I don't intend to pick on anyone. However, I do intend to stand up for all the good, committed people whose home lives don't look like the conservative ideal. I am truly sorry your marriage counselor said such hurtful things to you and your wife. I hope you now realize you have no "oops'es". You did what you thought best at the time, and there is absolutely no shame in that! I admire the love and commitment you both showed. Hopefully, you and she will get a sense of peace that you did nothing "wrong." We all go through good times and bad, and that's life. It doesn't mean you made mistakes; it means it's life.

Thackl, stop being a pissant. Stealth has some good, valid points.
I know because I've come across many of the same conclusions. Studies and statistics can be interpeted in any number of ways support a certain conclusion.

Statistically people with higher incomes tend to be more educated. Also they tend to wait longer to have children, because they realize the large expense and commitment involved in having children. America in general is the highest in the world in terms of divorce rate. This is due to the "fast food" mentality eschewed by many people that it's very convenient to divorce the first time there are difficulties in a marriage because they don't want to "deal with it".

I alo agree that non-religious people will divorce more quickly than religious people will. Living together has it's pros and cons. On the one hand, you get to know the other person's quirks ahead of time, and you're not in for a total shock when you marry them. On the other hand, people tend to stay married if they don't live together first. I'm not quite sure why this is. Perhaps because they see it as more of a commitment if they had to "wait" for the other person..

I apologize; I don't intend to pick on anyone. However, I do intend to stand up for all the good, committed people whose home lives don't look like the conservative ideal. I am truly sorry your marriage counselor said such hurtful things to you and your wife. I hope you now realize you have no "oops'es". You did what you thought best at the time, and there is absolutely no shame in that! I admire the love and commitment you both showed. Hopefully, you and she will get a sense of peace that you did nothing "wrong." We all go through good times and bad, and that's life. It doesn't mean you made mistakes; it means it's life.

Maybe you are misunderstanding me. By "oops", I mean unplanned pregnacy (that went to birth--I have two children) and the "shacking up" was our question. The counselor was great and said nothing hurtful. We wondered if some of the depression/difficulties were related to us not living together before making THE big commitment. This is when the "marraige stat" came up. It turned out to be the typical hormonal swings woman go through after childbirth.

And for both of you last posters; go back and look at my original comment about the stat:

I was being sarcastic. The stat makes little sense to me, but I have known a lot of non-religous, not-wealthly people (grew up in rural area) who got married w/o living together and made it. For many of them, it was unplanned pregnancy that drove the union. I also knew a bunch who didn't make it or were in crappy relationships. In one respect, just having the attitude that you will try a union out (shacking up, but not married), then just trash it if things aren't great could be a good predictor of divorce. Marraige is not easy and it takes constant work. I guess the point is, you don't have to do it any particular way to have a solid marraige.

Before this tread go jacked, it about a woman being treated like a child by her parents. What happened to her?

I guess the point is, you don't have to do it any particular way to have a solid marraige.

I'm so glad to hear this. I was starting to think I was running out of options having done it the so called "right way" the fiorst time. :laugh: :laugh:

Common guys, lay off Thackl. We ALL have valid, although different points of view. Besides there's a lot to be said about a person that appears to be DOING WELL (marriage, kids, ect) what the rest of hope to do one day too!;)

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Besides there's a lot to be said about a person that appears to be DOING WELL (marriage, kids, ect) what the rest of hope to do one day too!;)

Thanks. I'm just doing things out of order. Hopefully it all works out in the end. If it does, I'll be a 44yr old empty-nester with an MD:D

I am so glad you were being sarcastic. It is hard to tell in written form, especially if you don't know the person.

But considering I didn't realize you were joking, maybe someone else didn't realize it, so I'm still glad I said something. (A lot of something, such as it was. )

I'm sure you noticed I just get REALLY fired up when I hear that stupid Rutgers study gettting bandied about. So many people (your counselor, even, it sounds like) just glance at a headline or hear someone mention the purported "findings" of this annoying piece of pseudo-science, and suddenly it's like conventional wisdom: "Oh, don't move in together, you'll doom your marriage."

Actually, I'm completely aligned with you that many kinds of marriages are successful. That's exactly why I'm so passionate about this. It has everything to do with the character and commitment level of the involved parties, and living together or not is just a moot point. And I can't help noticing it's usually the people in unhappy relationships who are the most adamant about what everybody else's relationships are supposed to look like.

I wish you luck and happiness with your family, it sounds like you're really committed, and in my opinion at least, that matters a lot more than in what order you do things.

And I can't help noticing it's usually the people in unhappy relationships who are the most adamant about what everybody else's relationships are supposed to look like.

Ain't that the truth! How many times do you see a "perfect" couple, then get to know them real well and find out the situation is majorly f@#ked. Lots of couples put on the show (what a good couple should look like), but are aweful behind closed doors. My wife can be a bit like this, but she has been getting a lot better. The couseling really helped this for both of us.

I wonder what the common characteristics of people who beat the "statistics" are? I mean, as I've made abundantly clear, I have good reason not to trust the cohabition statistics, but I hear the same "your odds of success suck" type message about residency too. One school my boyfriend interviewed at actually bragged to him about having a higher than 100% divorce rate among their residents. However, I know more people who have happy, functional medical marriages, and/or happy, functional post-cohabitation marriages than not. I certainly intend to be one of those people.
My theory is it's more related to having a commitment to each other, commitment to a happy, successful life, good personalities, and a willingness to ask for help and support when you need it.
What do you all think?

marriage = no blowjobs

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll have to be sure to change this ALOT in my second marriage. Maybe it will NOT end in divorce.:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by gwyn779
I think medical school is difficult and taxing on relationships whether the couple is married or not.
Yes, the group of "dumped because I went to med school" is already growing larger in our class. all it took is one week of school for this to start happening. I think my classmates will end up better off even though they are going through a hard time now.

I never knew where this study came from, just read about it in Time or another like magazine when it was big news. Good to know where the info comes from now.

One point I'm pretty sure I remember reading is one I think no one brought up (haven't read through all the responses.) People sometimes move in together as the next step just so the relationship is moving 'forward.' Its like they get to a point in their relationship where society says something should happen, and they aren't ready to/or don't want to get married yet, so they move in. The same thing happens again when it is time for marriage which in turn makes them more susceptible to divorce since they never really 'wanted' to get married. That reasoning seems to make a bit more sense to me and I also agree with the more religious being more determined to work it out.

that sounds like good advice. i mean, who wants to get married? you? the potential fiancee? your families? society? i don't understand love very well at all, but i would think that if you were in true love before med school you would be in true love after med school. unfortunately, so much about you changes in med school that people frequently fall out of love. i don't see people getting dumped b/c they left for med school as a bad thing at all, b/c why go through your honeymoon stage -- where you focus all your attention on the one person in your life -- when you're obviously having a whole new world of opportunity opened up to you? many people marry prior to med school b/c they think it'll help them stay together during med school, which is stupid b/c if the relationship isn't gonna work you shouldn't force it.

it all depends on what the other person is like. you dont want to marry a lazy person. trust me. im really lazy and my wife hates it so much. just be sure you found..."the one". you would look really stupid if you got divorced and then youll parents will say i told you so.

i noticed that a lot of my wifes friends in med school with her are geeks. why do they always have to try to make themselves seem like they are soooooooooo smart. just remember geeks, theres always someone smarter than you.

What would the difference be if you were married or just in-love-wishing-you-were-married? Marriage is a commitment. Whether it is school or other things in life it will always be hard. If you are committed you will do great!<br>
I'm married (3 years) and still undergrad. Very tough - but very wonderful.