Want to be an RN, but fear of needles...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this my 3rd thread here in like 3 days, but I've really been considering switching to a career path of an RN. However, I don't know how I'd be able to handle needles (injecting someone, doing IVs, etc). I'm not THAT freaked out by it, and I think it's something I can overcome. I'm not really that bad with blood in general, I think I'd just get used to it. But just something about the phlebotomy portion of being an RN, I think I'd have a hard time doing. Is there any advice you can give on how to overcome this phobia? I'd hate for something so silly to prevent me from going into a career where I could be doing what I really want, which is helping people.

Members don't see this ad.

See a therapist. I once made an RN student start an IV on me. She was ok after that. Another was giving an injection in a pt's butt. Patient was facing away from her and the student froze right before entering the skin. I just push her the rest of the way in and the patient never noticed. She was also ok after that.

See a therapist. I once made an RN student start an IV on me. She was ok after that. Another was giving an injection in a pt's butt. Patient was facing away from her and the student froze right before entering the skin. I just push her the rest of the way in and the patient never noticed. She was also ok after that.

Yeah, I kinda feel like once I do it a couple of times I'll be fine. But maybe I will see a therapist. Thanks for the advice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Method 1- Peer pressure. Get a bunch of people from your class to stand around you and call you names until you make the stick. Once you're in have them cheer and clap for you.

Method 2- Hire the pretty girl that you like to stand there and repeat "I only date guys who do PIV's" until you're fixed.

So I know this my 3rd thread here in like 3 days, but I've really been considering switching to a career path of an RN. However, I don't know how I'd be able to handle needles (injecting someone, doing IVs, etc). I'm not THAT freaked out by it, and I think it's something I can overcome. I'm not really that bad with blood in general, I think I'd just get used to it. But just something about the phlebotomy portion of being an RN, I think I'd have a hard time doing. Is there any advice you can give on how to overcome this phobia? I'd hate for something so silly to prevent me from going into a career where I could be doing what I really want, which is helping people.

The best first step might be shadowing a phlebotomy RN as he or she does their daily rounds; you will likely get over this fear fairly quickly. If not, then you could then go for
formal counselling. Shadowing this RN is a type of treatment known as desensitization therapy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_desensitization#Progressive_exposure

As a medical student , the first time I was in the OR I almost passed out while watching a urology procedure. The team was very cool about it, as this happens quite often.

Don't let this minor setback get in the way of your career goal.

Last edited:
The best first step might be shadowing a phlebotomy RN as he or she does their daily rounds; you will likely get over this fear fairly quickly. If not, then you could then go for
formal counselling. Shadowing this RN is a type of treatment known as desensitization therapy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systematic_desensitization#Progressive_exposure

As a medical student , the first time I was in the OR I almost passed out while watching a urology procedure. The team was very cool about it, as this happens quite often.

Don't let this minor setback get in the way of your career goal.

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

I agree with the above posts. ALL nursing students have anxiety about their first injection or IV start. After the first ones it will be no big deal. I teach students in skills lab and you can cut the tension with a knife when we have the injection training. By the end of the class everyone is relaxed and laughing about how nervous they were.

I used to be pretty terrified of needles, but mostly of ones that I didn't control. The best way to beat the fear is to just be around them. Get used to them, go hang out with some IV drug users... maybe that's too far. But in all seriousness, just get some exposure.