WAMYC and School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ani C

Reaction score
AMCAS: 3.2/3.2

AACOMAS (with SMP): 3.23/3.05

uGPA trend: 3.14, 3.5, 2.8, 3.1

SMP: 3.8 with 12 credits left

MCAT: 1. 496 2. 500 3. 506

ORM female from NJ

Shadowing: 60

Clinical paid: 1.2k (distributed across 1.5y medical assistant in peds office, 7 months and continuing in clinical research)

Research: 600 (distributed across 1.5 semesters undergrad research, 7 months and continuing in clinical research)

Clinical volunteer: 60 (hospice)

Non clinical volunteer: 200 (tutoring, soup kitchen, non profit food pantry/thrift org, dance school)

Leadership: in a cultural club on campus, founded a new STEM research club on campus, trained and certified to work personally with victims of domestic violence in my state, and on collegiate competitive dance team, started zoom dance classes for kids during covid to stay active while in lockdown

Tutoring: paid 200 hours during freshman year, this is a continued activity which I was doing from freshman year in high school

LORS (all strong): 2 science, 1 nonscience, 1 PI, 1 MD

Reason for extreme dip in GPA: domestic violence and sexual assault junior year which exacerbated my already existing anxiety leading to onset of seizures. Did not get therapy due to parents, saved up for it by working myself and now I am going to therapy and formally diagnosed with and medicated for GAD.

My chances seem slim to none due to my stats, and I’m not sure that my 30 credit SMP will even begin to make up for it. I’m applying for Fall 2025 matriculation, so this coming cycle. Nobody in my family is in healthcare (only my father is educated, I am the oldest daughter in immigrant household, everyone else including my extended family are still in home country as farmers besides 1 set of cousins) and I feel like all the odds are against me at this point. if anyone can offer school list advice or can look at my PS for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m slowly turning more and more neurotic over this and feel like zero schools will give me a chance due to my low stats and inconsistent upward trend. Please help me create a school list!!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all above all else I want to commend you for making it this far in spite of what happened during your junior year.

Second — I don't think your odds, at least at DO, are completely out. If you can boost your SMP GPA up a bit more I think you'll have a decent chance, at least at the newer DO schools. Your activities are great and it seems like you have the makings of a compelling narrative; the GPA and to a lesser extent the MCAT seem to be what might hold you back.

The experts here can help you construct a list. As for PS help, take a look here and see if you can talk to one of the volunteer readers: Forum Members - *~*~*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2024-2025*~*~*~*~*~*

Reactions: 1 users
I only have 12 credits left and I think if I can get all As the most I can boost my sgpa is to 3.14 or something close to that. Looking to see if there are any DO schools that favor SMP GPA. Also my SMP is only a 30 credit program, unsure if that’s too little.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all above all else I want to commend you for making it this far in spite of what happened during your junior year.

Second — I don't think your odds, at least at DO, are completely out. If you can boost your SMP GPA up a bit more I think you'll have a decent chance, at least at the newer DO schools. Your activities are great and it seems like you have the makings of a compelling narrative; the GPA and to a lesser extent the MCAT seem to be what might hold you back.

The experts here can help you construct a list. As for PS help, take a look here and see if you can talk to one of the volunteer readers: Forum Members - *~*~*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2024-2025*~*~*~*~*~*
Thank you so much!

@Goro please help! I would really appreciate it. I did read your reinvention post and not sure what schools to apply to, or if there are specific schools that are “reinvention” friendly.

30 hours is fine. What help are you getting from your SMP faculty? Have your attended any recruitment events at the DO schools near your state of residence (Rowan DO, PCOM, NYCOM at least)?
No recruitment events but I have a meeting with the dean of admissions to our affiliated MD program tomorrow to go over what I can do to improve. my program also helps with PS.

Reactions: 1 user
You should receive interviews at DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
Cooper Rowan
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
OCOM
DUQCOM
BUCOM
KHSC-COM
Touro-Montana
BCOM (both schools)

You should receive interviews at DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
Cooper Rowan
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
Noorda-COM
OCOM
DUQCOM
BUCOM
KHSC-COM
Touro-Montana
BCOM (both schools)
Thank you! How reasonable is it to think that most schools will place bigger emphasis on my undergrad gpa over my smp masters gpa?

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised for DO program acceptances. You have a big uptrend from UG to SMP. I don’t recommend anyone take the mcat that many times but you also have a big increase. I do think your MD chances are cooked though with the gpa. DO programs are much more forgiving for reinvention