WAMC -which schools with my grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrightyDog

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
23yr old Male California 1st time applicant interested in Exotic primarily then Wildlife/Zoo

Interested in Western Health University Primarily, applying to Ross and St.George for sure

Cumulative GPA: 2.76
science GPA: 2.65
last 45: 2.44

Any degrees achieved

Will have a bachelors in Animal Science with Pre-Vet option and Zoology Minor

GRE results: Q/V/W

149/153/4

Veterinary Experience:

Working as a VA at Banfield Pet Hospital clinic approximately 3,000 hours

Animal Experience:

Reptile Presenter at fair for the Reptile Zoo, handled 8 ft pythons among other smaller snakes and lizards- 500 hours

Research Experience:

None

Awards/scholarships:

None

Extracurriculars:

None

Employment:

Banfield Pet Hospital
The Reptile Zoo

Non animal experience:

3 years at In-N-Out Burger
6 months at Tropical Fish Store

Its ok I've changed career paths

I still have a handful of classes left. I'm considering pursuing a masters degree to boost my GPA and experience then reapply. Please don't tell thats what I should do, because I am aware. I just want to know my dismal chances and if I should waste my money. I've had a VERY rough past few years and I've thoroughly explained that in my "additional" section.

Members don't see this ad.

23yr old Male California 1st time applicant interested in Exotic primarily then Wildlife/Zoo

Interested in Western Health University Primarily, applying to Ross and St.George for sure

Cumulative GPA: 2.76
science GPA: 2.65
last 45: 2.44

Any degrees achieved

Will have a bachelors in Animal Science with Pre-Vet option and Zoology Minor

GRE results: Q/V/W

149/153/4

Veterinary Experience:

Working as a VA at Banfield Pet Hospital clinic approximately 3,000 hours

Animal Experience:

Reptile Presenter at fair for the Reptile Zoo, handled 8 ft pythons among other smaller snakes and lizards- 500 hours

Research Experience:

None

Awards/scholarships:

None

Extracurriculars:

None

Employment:

Banfield Pet Hospital
The Reptile Zoo

Non animal experience:
3 years at In-N-Out Burger
6 months at Tropical Fish Store

Its ok I've changed career paths
I still have a handful of classes left. I'm considering pursuing a masters degree to boost my GPA and experience then reapply. Please don't tell thats what I should do, because I am aware. I just want to know my dismal chances and if I should waste my money. I've had a VERY rough past few years and I've thoroughly explained that in my "additional" section.

Quick question
Your last post in February said you had 600 hours at banfield and now you say 3000. Have you really been working like 60 hour weeks every week since you posted in February?

Also, I would HIGHLY suggest figuring out where you’re going wrong with your study habits before thinking about applying to vet school. It is TOUGH.

Many schools have a MINUMUM required GPA of 2.75 that you would need to stay above for the rest of your prereqs if they offered you admission. I know western requires a C or above in all prereq courses, so make sure you meet that requirement.

I just want to know my dismal chances and if I should waste my money. I've had a VERY rough past few years and I've thoroughly explained that in my "additional" section.
I would not waste your money. It sucks that you've had a rough few years. But if you don't have higher grades to show growth after the rough patch, most schools are going to pass on admitting you because they'll assume that's all you're capable of. Your last 45 is lower than your cGPA, that indicates a downward trend, not an upturn. I didn't go to vet school in my 20s, and there are plenty of us who take alternate paths to get there. Make sure you're putting together your strongest application, rather than throwing money after a long shot.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question
Your last post in February said you had 600 hours at banfield and now you say 3000. Have you really been working like 60 hour weeks every week since you posted in February?

Also, I would HIGHLY suggest figuring out where you’re going wrong with your study habits before thinking about applying to vet school. It is TOUGH.

Many schools have a MINUMUM required GPA of 2.75 that you would need to stay above for the rest of your prereqs if they offered you admission. I know western requires a C or above in all prereq courses, so make sure you meet that requirement.
That’s because I didn’t include a small animal clinic I worked at because I left in bad terms with them and didn’t know whether to put them down at experience. I had several hours there.
But yeah that’s what I thought. Thanks though.

That’s because I didn’t include a small animal clinic I worked at because I left in bad terms with them and didn’t know whether to put them down at experience. I had several hours there.
But yeah that’s what I thought. Thanks though.
Definitely put them. Experience is experience. When you do apply, you can select that schools aren’t allowed to contact them and it will be fine.

I’m a low-GPAer in my first application cycle. Personally I felt like I needed to put some distance between my former grades and now and show adcoms that I can succeed academically before I had any chance of an acceptance. I used the explanation statement to explain what happened when I was an undergraduate student (medical stuff) but I don’t think that’s enough unless you can say X is what happened, Y is what I did about it, and look how awesome I am now! Obviously I don’t know yet if my method was successful but I wouldn’t have wasted my money applying if I didn’t feel like the me of now is different from the me of then.

With poor grades I think it’s important to make yourself stand out in other ways. Thankfully I have my engineering career but I also worked my a$$ off getting varied experiences (SA GP & ER, equine, swine, LA, exotics & avian, and wildlife) plus animal experiences and community service. I returned to school with my medical issues resolved and committed to performing well and am applying with a 4.0 last 45 GPA, which is entirely science courses. I think you need to take a good hard look at your study habits and where you’re going wrong, and make an effort to improve.

As it stands, why would an adcom think you can succeed in vet school? Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to only apply to Western and request a file review (if they do them). They may be able to further direct you on best steps for your situation - repeat courses vs. pursue a graduate degree. There are also a couple schools that offer grade forgiveness - Mizzou and Illinois I think? I personally didn’t pursue that avenue (I think a second bachelors degree is required) but you should definitely look into what is required.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users