WAMC? 28 YO non-trad. Holistic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullpetvet735

Reaction score
I am a Colorado native, I have applied once this last round and got waitlisted with LMU but haven't heard back. For this next round I am hoping to apply to LMU, UofA, Midwestern, and ISU(I will absolutely take other suggestions). I am currently in small animal GP and would love to continue in this path as a veterinarian, but also offer my services voluntarily in other countries.

Cumulative GPA:3.28(one semester 10 years ago screwed up my GPA so I have been working to get it back up otherwise it is a 3.55)
science gpa: 3.5ish
last 45:3.3 (was higher but my dad passed away in september while trying to finish my last semester)

Any degrees achieved:
BS biology & minor in chemistry
AAS Applied science

GRE results: N/A

Veterinary Experience:

- 10,000+ hours veterinary technician GP
- 16 hours recovery technician with Soul dog rescue
-

Animal Experience:
- 80 hours vet tech student (cared for 19 different species on campus)
-40 hours kennel assistant(cared for adoptable animals at HSSPV shelter)
-5 hours vaccine clinic volunteer(Aurora Animal Shelter)

Research Experience: N/A

Awards/scholarships:

-Presidential academic achievement ×2
-Graduated with honors for AAS at a 3.7
-Perfect attendance during AAS

Extracurriculars:
-not sure if this goes here but Basic CPR certification
-Advanced CPR certification
-Fear free certification
-NAVAS member
-8 hours community volunteer

Employment:
-7800+ hours host/server (my first job at 16 until my next job at 22)
-as above 10,000+ hours working as a veterinary technician (worked here for 6 years, became a senior technician)
-2000+ hours hospital manager (same clinic, offered promotion, great leadership role and have worked to build community outreach with our clinic)

Since the last cycle I have obtained the 3 certifications and the management position. I have also requested 2 more LOR from two other veterinarians that I have worked closely with which would make 5 for this next cycle.

My biggest wonder is, will one of these schools see past the one semester 10 years ago with everything else currently? I started my first semester of undergrad in 2014 but within a couple months my parents forced me to dropout as they could not afford it and we couldn't get loans to cover the cost. My parents were at odds with this decision and it got so toxic that I lost contact with my dad for a decade. By 2015 I had saved up enough myself to apply and eventually obtain my AAS with honors. I got a job as a veterinary technician shortly after and then started my journey for my bachelor's in 2020. Because I was forced to dropout, that transcript will forever haunt me but it doesn't speak to who I truly am. I talk about this in my explanation statement and slightly in my personal statement to hopefully give them a full picture of myself.

Another question is will I have to attend a masters program to even be considered? Trying to avoid that route due to cost and I am not as young as I once was! Any advice is greatly appreciated as applying is not cheap and I would love to know from others who have gone through this if I have even a sliver of hope this next cycle... Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Couple of questions. Was also a Colorado native when applying (born and raised even). My GPA was a 3.3 with pre-req and last 45 being lower.

For this next round I am hoping to apply to LMU, UofA, Midwestern, and ISU(I will absolutely take other suggestions).
Why no CSU? Even with your grades, your chances are still statistically better with CSU than most OOS purely based on numbers. You're competing with 400-500 students for 70 spots vs 2000 for 70 or fewer spots. CSU should absolutely be on your list, especially for the UAF-CSU program if possible.

Why these four specific schools?

You should broaden your list overall to:
1. Schools where your stats match better
2. Schools with lower OOS competition
-as above 10,000+ hours working as a veterinary technician (worked here for 6 years, became a senior technician)
-2000+ hours hospital manager (same clinic, offered promotion, great leadership role and have worked to build community outreach with our clinic)
Both of these would be listed under veterinary experience, not employment.
My biggest wonder is, will one of these schools see past the one semester 10 years ago with everything else currently?
That's a question for the schools directly. You should set up admissions meetings to discuss this situation. Some schools will actually completely ignore coursework over a certain age.
Another question is will I have to attend a masters program to even be considered? Trying to avoid that route due to cost
Not necessarily, no. Depends on what your research brings you. And masters is by no means a guarantee either.

Not for nothing, you shouldn't do any sort of schooling if you're not going to use the degree. If you never got into vet school, would you use the masters as a backup plan?

Thank you battie, I appreciate you responding! I have considered CSU but assumed I wouldn't be competitive enough. I have been reading more people mentioning them as a somewhat holistic option so I think I will be adding them to the list as well!
I am currently managing a veterinary practice and could eventually become a regional manager so if I didn't get into vet school that would most likely be my plan B.
I am currently waitlisted with LMU so if I don't get accepted I was planning to reach out for a file review. I will be sure to ask if that semester played a role in my standing.

Everyone should always apply to their in state in my opinion :) It's cheaper if you get in and just numbers-wise makes it a smidgeon more likely to get in. I say this all as a CO native that was denied at CSU all three cycles, so there's that 😅

Definitely get in touch with all schools you're applying to and see where that semester stands in your chances. Some schools may not even consider it cause the credits are so old, so it opens you up to more possibilities

• Care
Reactions: 1 users