DO WAMC? URM (3.45/3.24) / 494

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zpak19

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a URM Florida resident. Fluent in Spanish and English.

Graduated from my state university in 2017:

cGPA 3.45
sGPA 3.24

Took the MCAT twice. Voided first time, 494 second time.

~3,000 hrs as a scribe and medical assistant in an urgent care clinic
~700 hrs as volunteer in the hospital
~400 hrs as interpreter in a free clinic

Heavily involved in my school's music program and held a leadership position

LOR from an MD, two science profs, my music program director, and two volunteer coordinators

I want to stay in Florida/ the southeast if possible.

Your honest input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ECs are great and so you can write a good personal statement and work and activities section. Probs need a post bacc and a 500 to get in.

You will need an MCAT retake. If you can score a 500+, you may have a shot at a few DO programs. If you can score a 507+, you may have a shot at your state MD programs. You should not apply this cycle unless you plan on retaking the MCAT before then. I studied for the MCAT for 8 months and went from a 492 to a 515 so you can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to retake the MCAT before you apply and score at least 500. What were the section scores of your 494 ? Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to retake the MCAT before you apply and score at least 500. What were the section scores of your 494 ? Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

121/125/124/124

If I get around 503-505 would you advise me to apply at that point? and which schools would be best? should I bother with MD schools at all?

Thanks, Faha.

121/125/124/124

If I get around 503-505 would you advise me to apply at that point? and which schools would be best? should I bother with MD schools at all?

Thanks, Faha.
If your MCAT is 500 you could try these DO schools:
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UIWSOM
ICOM
CHSU-COM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
MD schools are not realistic with your GPAs and you would need to score 507 or higher on the MCAT for MD schools.

If your MCAT is 500 you could try these DO schools:
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
UIWSOM
ICOM
CHSU-COM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
MD schools are not realistic with your GPAs and you would need to score 507 or higher on the MCAT for MD schools.

Thanks for the list. Would you not recommend Nova southeastern?

121/125/124/124

Thanks, Faha.
Your chances at MD are extremely low without having some networking connection with those schools through AMSA, SNMA, or LMSA. Even so there's no guarantee. DO will be your better chance given your GPA as it stands. 494 is barely below any medical school's comfort zone when it comes to passing critical board exams.

EDIT : I forgot to calculate two classes into my GPA. I've updated my numbers.