MD WAMC - School List Support! (URM/515/3.9) with OK EC’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drainnn

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I don’t really have anyone to talk about medschool with anymore so I am coming here for some insight and feedback. Thank you for your time and help.

GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 515 (130/130/128/127)
State: NY
Ethnicity: Caribbean Hispanic
Undergrad: T100 State School
Clinical Exp:
Clinical Psych Research with a T20 - 270
Expected MA (starting in a week) - 100 hours by submission 500+ hours
Research:
Non-traditional Research (1 pub in progress, coauthor) - 200
Social Justice Research - 40
Shadowing:
Various Shadowing(Psych/Pathologist/ER) - 40
Non-Clin Vol:
Community Service with community office in a minority area - 135
Other Extracurriculars:
Professional and Career Development Program (this was supporting me, I did not found it or anything, I have volunteered and given back to it though) - 350
Health Insight Program - 40
COVID Lab Tech - 250
Rel Honors:
Senior Research Fellowship
Summa Cum Laude/ Deans List Etc
Random:
Hobbies
Gaming(not sure if I will put it on application but I have played a lot competitively with friends)
Photography (extremely amateur)

I want to stay in the Northeast and my support system is in NYC met area and throughout NY

The schools I am currently eyeing are(happy to upsize or downsize):
NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Upstate, Downstate, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Buffalo, JH, Stony Brook, Einstein, NYU LI, Rochester, UPenn

If you made it this far thank you for looking through. I would love to hear what you have to say, both positive and negative(plz be nice tho).

Members don't see this ad.

Add Rutgers, Rowan, the other Philadelphia schools like Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson. Did you put Geisinger down? This is intended to be a regional list. I would throw in Georgetown and GW. Perhaps Hopkins too.

Have you connected with mentoring organizations like SNMA and LMSA?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a Cuban background or a different country in the Caribbean? Any fluency in Spanish?

Was the psych research with patients or research subjects?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a Cuban background or a different country in the Caribbean? Any fluency in Spanish?

Was the psych research with patients or research subjects?
Patients. It was a clinical study where we were trying new techniques to help with their condition.

I’m building my fluency in Spanish back up and I strive to be more fluent by the time I enter my school. My mixed condition has really taken away from my heritage but I have been working to build it back up. Does this disqualify me from URM? Also the country the Dominican Republic.

Add Rutgers, Rowan, the other Philadelphia schools like Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson. Did you put Geisinger down? This is intended to be a regional list. I would throw in Georgetown and GW. Perhaps Hopkins too.

Have you connected with mentoring organizations like SNMA and LMSA?
Thank you these all sound like great options to add to my list. Philly is definitely in comfortable range of nyc so I would be happy to go there.

No I haven’t, I have been kinda on my own. I thought those organizations were for help when you were in medical school, they might be able to help me now?

Thank you for your time, I will look into them!

Working on Spanish is good and is always a valued skill. However, I think many schools view applicants from the Dominican similar to Cubans, in that they are not underrepresented in medicine. And they would prefer to see demonstrated service to Latino communities. Some have a different policy though.

I suggest:
All SUNY schools
NYMC
Albany
Sinai
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Darmouth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tufts
Rutgers (maybe)
Hackensack
Western Michigan
George Washington
VCU
EVMS
Vermont
Creighton
Saint Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Wake
Miami
Nova MD
Emory

Working on Spanish is good and is always a valued skill. However, I think many schools view applicants from the Dominican similar to Cubans, in that they are not underrepresented in medicine. And they would prefer to see demonstrated service to Latino communities. Some have a different policy though.

I suggest:
All SUNY schools
NYMC
Albany
Sinai
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Darmouth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tufts
Rutgers (maybe)
Hackensack
Western Michigan
George Washington
VCU
EVMS
Vermont
Creighton
Saint Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Wake
Miami
Nova MD
Emory
Thank you for your insight. Would it be helpful to add Afro-carribean to my application? It’s so confusing to identify my race. My mom according to DNA tests is half African and I am not white passing what so ever.

I also have service to my community. I worked for a prominent Dominican community leader, and as a part of that I was working in a large low ses Dominican community. I have written more in-depth in my application. Thank you for your input it means a lot to me.

Thank you for your insight. Would it be helpful to add Afro-carribean to my application? It’s so confusing to identify my race. My mom according to DNA tests is half African and I am not white passing what so ever.

I also have service to my community. I worked for a prominent Dominican community leader, and as a part of that I was working in a large low ses Dominican community. I have written more in-depth in my application. Thank you for your input it means a lot to me.
You can put that down if you identify as that. If you find it confusing, the best thing to do is look at how you grew up and if you interacted with 1 side of your family quite a bit (such as your mom's parents if that is the case). Or if you identify more with a particular parent. I think that would be better than going blindly with a DNA test (if you mom did not know she was half African).

Reactions: 2 users