(WAMC/School List) IL, 3.83 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benn10

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to narrow my school list for this upcoming cycle to a good 15 and add a few DO schools as well, any help would be appreciated.
  • cGPA: 3.83, sGPA 3.9 upward trend
  • MCAT: 512
  • IL
  • White
  • Marquette University
  • Volunteer Clinical: about 100 hours
  • Research: none (yeah I know not the best thing, I am hoping I am able to convey myself as service/care oriented)
  • Shadowing: about 50 hours with pediatric subspecialties, anesthesiologist, orthopedics
  • Non-clinical volunteering: >600 hours was highly involved and ran largest student led volunteer org on campus along with working with several volunteer sites and social justice orgs
  • Other extracurricular activities: clinical anatomy teaching assistant
  • Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list 4 years, and a university leadership award
  • spanish minor
  • Over my gap year I recently accepted a Medical Internship position in an Internal Med office in which I'll be working 40 hour weeks
  • Here are the 24 MD's I have on my list and would like to narrow down to 15 and of course some recs for good DOs
  • Rush Medical College
    Southern Illinois
    University of Illinois
    Loyola
    Rosalind Franklin
    Wake Forest
    MCW
    Creighton
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Wayne State
    George Washington
    Western Michigan
    Saint Louis
    Thomas Jefferson
    South Carolina
    Washington
    Eastern Virginia
    Brown
    Virginia Commonwealth
    Tufts
    Vermont
    Florida Atlantic
    Tulane

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several schools that take very few OOS students. Applying to 15 will also restrict your chances of receiving an acceptance. Given you only have 100 hours of clinical experience, it would be best to take a gap year. Hopefully the internship involves interacting with patients.

Reactions: 1 user
You really need to apply to more than 15 schools if you want to have a successful MD cycle. I know it’s expensive but it’s the nature of the beast. Apply for fee assistance if you think it will be too much.

Need to eliminate
Louisville
SC
Washington

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rush, Loyola, St. Louis and Creighton are looking for applicants with many more clinical exposure hours than you have.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY

Add one for more clinical exposure BY THE TIME YOU SUBMIT. You ate at the low end of acceptable hours, plus we lack any insight on what you did. Your lack of research is secondary or tertiary to in-person clinical exposure.

You also need to apply to more than 15 schools as the normal range is between 25 and 35, IMO.