MD & DO WAMC/School list help sGPA 3.17 cGPA 3.23 MCAT 508, solid ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rside

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! All advice is welcome and appreciated! I will be applying in 2023
  1. cGPA - 3.23 sGPA 3.17- very strong upward trend - 3.5 average 3rd/4th year of Ugrad and 3.93 GPA post bac, lower GPA attributed to 4 years at CC at the beginning of undergraduate with low GPA, CC grades are from a little over 10 years ago.
  2. MCAT 508 |127|126|128|127
  3. State of residence - California
  4. Asian
  5. UCR
  6. Medical scribe (internal medicine) - 400 hours, Emergency Department Tech (current job full time) - 800 hours
  7. Research experience - 450 hours in undergrad no publications
  8. 100 hours in emergency medicine (in person), 20 hours various specialties (online)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering - 4000 hours - mostly leadership roles
  10. Other extracurricular activities - Work experience (non-clinical) - 10000 hours - started as busser and worked my way up the company, resigned as Vice President, revenue over 100 M, opened 10 locations: in state, OOS, international, hired and trained 30+ assistant managers, 10+ general managers, 20+ corporate trainers.
    1. Worked as a manager for a smaller restaurant during pandemic (volunteered my time during peak pandemic for 6 months full time) - 2000 hours
    2. Bodybuilding/Powerlifting (hobby) - 4000 hours
  11. Deans list few times if this counts?
  12. I believe I will have strong LORs, multiple doctors at my current job have offered to write me letters (have at least one MD and one DO) and will be able to receive one from our ED director (who is my supervisor)
Current School list:

All CA schools

I will be picking about 5-10 DO schools (avoiding schools on Goro's bad boy list)

Mayo
Emory
Hofstra
BU
Tufts
Gtown
Drexel
Albany
Netter
NYMC
GWU
SLU
U VM
CREIGHTON
SETON hall
NovaMD
TCU.UNT
WAKE
ROSY FRANKLIN
RUSH
LOYOLA

Am I being too ambitious with my school list? Are there any schools you would add? With my academic stats should I focus less on MD and more DO? Thanks in advance.

Side note: I am currently not doing any volunteering, with my current hours should I still look for something to continue to do until I matriculate or is that unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the schools on your list are unrealistic with a MCAT of 508 and your GPAs. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools on your list are unrealistic with a MCAT of 508 and your GPAs. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM
Thanks for the feedback!

I would suggest applying to all the DO schools Faha listed. You may receive interviews from the MD schools Faha listed (particularly UCR if you’ve remained in the IE) but it would be good to have about 10 or so DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I would suggest applying to all the DO schools Faha listed. You may receive interviews from the MD schools Faha listed (particularly UCR if you’ve remained in the IE) but it would be good to have about 10 or so DO schools.
Sounds good, thanks for the advice.

UC Riverside
UC Davis
UC Irvine
California University
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD