WAMC School List Help (OH Resident 507/3.83)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sponge01

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my application and school list so far! Hoping to apply to both DO and MD.

Neuroscience major (3.83 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA)
MCAT: 507 (126/127/127/127)
OH Resident
Undergrad: Ohio State
1 gap year

Clinical volunteering: 72 hours
Clinical work experience: 450 hours
Volunteering (not clinical): 550 hours
Work experience (not clinical): 350 hours
Research: 1000+, 1 publication
3 major leadership experiences/ 2 within the same organization

Gap year: scribing job (1200+ predicted hours)

This is my school list as of right now - 14 DO schools and 28 MD schools. I appreciate any and all feedback!
1710948328345.png

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

More detail is needed about ...
Clinical volunteering: 72 hours
Clinical work experience: 450 hours
Volunteering (not clinical): 550 hours
Work experience (not clinical): 350 hours
Research: 100+, 1 publication
3 major leadership experiences/ 2 within the same organization
It's not just the hours. It's what you did and what was meaningful that tells us why you are prepared for a career in medicine.

With your stats, you should be happy that Heritage OUCOM has a strong preference for in-state applicants with regional campuses. Other Ohio campuses where your stats are in range are also regional (NEOCOM, Toledo, Wright State). It would be a stretch to go for Ohio State or Cincinnati unless your activities descriptions and background suggest otherwise.

Without the details, your MD list is going to be extremely limited to service-heavy schools, and as a forum newbie, you may not have the right activities to show that fit.

Welcome to the forums.

More detail is needed about ...

It's not just the hours. It's what you did and what was meaningful that tells us why you are prepared for a career in medicine.

With your stats, you should be happy that Heritage OUCOM has a strong preference for in-state applicants with regional campuses. Other Ohio campuses where your stats are in range are also regional (NEOCOM, Toledo, Wright State). It would be a stretch to go for Ohio State or Cincinnati unless your activities descriptions and background suggest otherwise.

Without the details, your MD list is going to be extremely limited to service-heavy schools, and as a forum newbie, you may not have the right activities to show that fit.
Would you recommend adding more DO schools to this list and removing some of the MD schools? I have a pretty strong narrative throughout my application working with a specific underserved population, so I would say my hours have all been meaningful. My volunteering + research both fall in this category.

Would you recommend adding more DO schools to this list and removing some of the MD schools? I have a pretty strong narrative throughout my application working with a specific underserved population, so I would say my hours have all been meaningful. My volunteering + research both fall in this category.
I can't answer that until you provide details that support your purpose as a physician. (Otherwise, why not be a social worker?)