WAMC/School list help: 520, 3.95, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsu3131

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some of the state public schools on your list admit few non residents with no connection to the state and others will "yield protect" with your stats, You need 150 hours of non clinical volunteering such as homeless shelter, food bank, etc. I suggest these schools from your list:
NYU
Upenn
Columbia
Harvard
UVA
Yale
Vanderbilt
Johns Hopkins
Uchicago
Stanford
UCSF
Kaiser
Emory
Brown
UT southwestern
Duke
Cornell
Mayo
Northwestern
Baylor
UT long
USF
Mount Sinai
Boston U
Einstein
UCLA
USC
Tufts
Utah
Georgetown
Miami
Thomas Jefferson
Ohio State
Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the state public schools on your list admit few non residents with no connection to the state and others will "yield protect" with your stats, You need 150 hours of non clinical volunteering such as homeless shelter, food bank, etc. I suggest these schools from your list:
NYU
Upenn
Columbia
Harvard
UVA
Yale
Vanderbilt
Johns Hopkins
Uchicago
Stanford
UCSF
Kaiser
Emory
Brown
UT southwestern
Duke
Cornell
Mayo
Northwestern
Baylor
UT long
USF
Mount Sinai
Boston U
Einstein
UCLA
USC
Tufts
Utah
Georgetown
Miami
Thomas Jefferson
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Thanks so much for the feedback! For non clinical volunteering, does this count towards my nonclinical volunteering?
Nonclinical volunteering
- Volunteer as after-school program assistant at low-income housing community. This is working with kids 6th grade and younger. 50hrs over the course of 9mo. Projected to be around 150hrs by application

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the feedback! For non clinical volunteering, does this count towards my nonclinical volunteering?
What are your specific responsibilities? How are you alleviating distress in a manner where you are not a subject matter expert? This activity is great, but it is not immediately clear on service orientation (according to the AAMC definition).

That said, lots of great activities, but not clear on purpose and mission. I think I have an idea, but it would be great to confirm because that should focus your list. Is Utah your state of residence?

Last edited:
What are your specific responsibilities? How are you alleviating distress in a manner where you are not a subject matter expert? This activity is great, but it is not immediately clear on service orientation (according to the AAMC definition).

That said, lots of great activities, but not clear on purpose and mission. I think I have an idea, but it would be great to confirm because that should focus your list. Is Utah your state of residence?
[deleted]

Last edited:
Yes, Utah is state of residence. What's your idea?
Your activities that involve interaction with others centers on families and children. I'm surmising your motivation is to connect and help families. That does not conform with your shadowing, though. Not sure how your research connects either, but that's not important.

Your activities that involve interaction with others centers on families and children. I'm surmising your motivation is to connect and help families. That does not conform with your shadowing, though. Not sure how your research connects either, but that's not important.
That makes sense. The whole goal with all activities of an application is to create a narrative correct? So basically, with my activities I have here, I have to connect them into one cohesive reason for going into medicine.

My whole purpose for medicine is to be the ultimate teacher (sort of). Thus my research project involving teaching and public health, creating the safe learning environment (nonclinical volunteering), and the unique opportunity to teach in a cadaver lab. I don't know if this is the kind of connection/cohesiveness a narrative is meant to be, but that is my idea of "why medicine?"

Last edited:
That makes sense. The whole goal with all activities of an application is to create a narrative correct? So basically, with my activities I have here, I have to connect them into one cohesive reason for going into medicine.

Is this all you have in your application? Clarifying: Mission fit with your school is the goal, not the narrative (but it is very helpful).

Your narrative points me to your priorities and life philosophy. It guides me to see what is most important to you that I should use to see if you fit my school or program.

My whole purpose for medicine is to be the ultimate teacher (sort of). Thus my research project involving teaching and public health, creating the safe learning environment (nonclinical volunteering), and the unique opportunity to teach in a cadaver lab. I don't know if this is the kind of connection/cohesiveness a narrative is meant to be, but that is my idea of "why medicine?"

Impressions: You sound like you want to be in public health, which involves a lot of community education and advocacy (teaching is one way to do this). You don't need an MD to teach anatomy... you can with a PhD.