WAMC: 3.95, 520, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymooseee

Reaction score
  • Stats: GPA: 3.95, MCAT: 520. 1 gap year
  • Identity: GA, ORM, E01, first-gen, immigrant.
  • Undergraduate Institution: top public undergrad
  • Clinical volunteering: 1200 hrs EMT, 120 hrs volunteering in the hospital
  • Nonclinical volunteering: Orgo and bio TA (750 hrs), Science org (1000 hrs)
  • Leadership: Founded the science org mentioned above. Around 100 members, raised a couple of thousand bucks (not our main focus), involve lots of direct interaction with people in-need and have impact across multiple countries, so I got a couple of nice stories under my sleeves.
  • Research: 2000 hrs biology wet lab (high-mid author pub in Nature, this was an 8-year long project so that's why my name isn’t higher in the pub), 200 hrs clinical research (a couple of pubs, no first author), 2 posters, 1 conference.
  • Shadowing: 100 hours in various specialties
  • X-factor: Started a project, which I can't really talk about, that involves some famous/well-known people around the world. (600 hours)
  • LoRs: pretty good...i hope
  • Awards: a few university awards for research, teaching, my org, and being a first-gen lol.
  • Extra: All of my activities are still ongoing for 2-3 years now.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Vanderbilt
Miami
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Mayo
U Virginia
Georgetown
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Vanderbilt
Miami
USF Morsani
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Duke
Mayo
U Virginia
Georgetown
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Wow...This is a very reassuring list lol. One of my pre-health advisors said I shouldn't even bother with T15

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...This is a very reassuring list lol. One of my pre-health advisors said I shouldn't even bother with T15
Your pre-health advisor was full of it. You're a solid applicant at top schools and very strong everywhere else. You overcame socioeconomic adversity to have a very strong application...good luck. You're going to get plenty of interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why the advisor was so pessimistic. I don't have any details about your secret projects or organizations to give me a sense of true service orientation. Impact, I think you have something, but in terms of being with someone not like you in alleviating distress, it is not clear from the description. Thus service orientation questions still come up for me, which could put your application on a lower priority for fit.

Indeed, mission fit is going to be important. Are you going to be able to let go of those VIP relationships and your organization to be the struggling med student? Are you willing to humble yourself and be the student and not the expert? Why would you leave something like that?

Yeah. Even leaving those things off of the application...they're still quite a strong applicant although maybe not top-20 tier. The science organization...if it's had direct interaction with the needy it counts as volunteer work.

Reactions: 1 users
OP

Why did you wait until now to submit a primary?