WAMC/School list 4.0 sGPA, 3.97 cGPA, 519 MCAT, no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

**sburneraccount

Reaction score
  1. Majors: Biology and economics; cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 4.0
  2. I took the MCAT last week, so I don’t have an official score yet. My last three practice exams were 519/519/520
  3. State of residency: MN
  4. White
  5. Undergrad: UW-Madison
  6. Clinical experience: Nursing assistant (~750 hours), student medical assistant (~250 hours)
  7. Research: None. I spent a lot of undergrad thinking I wanted to go to PA school, so this wasn’t something I made a priority over clinical experience.
  8. Shadowing: 24 hours across primary care, orthopedics, PM&R and ENT. I have plans to shadow a cardiologist for about 24 hours in a couple weeks (this shadowing with cardiology could potential be extended to more than 24)
  9. Volunteering: 100 hours volunteering at organization that helps adults with disabilities participate in the arts (the hours for this are not high but it has been a significant experience and something I have been committed to for two years of college, the hours are just the constrained by the number of sessions that are held), 20 hours volunteering at the farmers' market, 60 hours coaching volleyball with club that provides volleyball opportunities to underserved communities
  10. Other/gap year plans: Significant involvement with religious organization in college, served as small group leader and connections team leader (probably about 400 hours total). In my gap year, I plan on working as a clinical research intern in an emergency department.
  11. Honors/awards: Dean’s list every semester of college, scholarship from my school’s economics department for academic achievement, Phi Beta Kappa

I would appreciate some help creating a school list, and any general thoughts on whether I have a chance this cycle or if I might benefit from waiting to apply until next year. I am concerned that my lack of research experience and low volunteer hours might make it difficult for me to receive interest from schools. I also am not sure what schools to target because my stats are solid, but I lack research and significant community service.

Schools I am currently interested in:

University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Iowa
Indiana University
Ohio State University
University of Nebraska
Mayo Clinic
Duke
University of Michigan
Michigan St
Wake Forest
Cornell

Members don't see this ad.

Nebraska does not really take OOS students.

Please let us know your MCAT score when it comes back so we can provide a list. No research and low volunteering does make it hard for you to fit most schools’ mission. There is still time to pursue volunteering at a local food bank or soup kitchen during the next 2 months though.

Nebraska does not really take OOS students.

Please let us know your MCAT score when it comes back so we can provide a list. No research and low volunteering does make it hard for you to fit most schools’ mission. There is still time to pursue volunteering at a local food bank or soup kitchen during the next 2 months though.

Thank you for the reply! I definitely plan on starting to volunteer as soon as I move back home after graduation this week. What would you consider the cutoff point for gaining more hours but still submitting my application early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

My official MCAT score is 520 (128/132/130/130). I will also have an additional 40-50 non-clinical volunteer hours at a food bank by the end of June, and I will have worked about 80 hours in my clinical research intern position.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep gaining food bank hours during the app cycle as well. It may be something that you could use in secondaries or during an interview.

I suggest:

UMN
Iowa
Wisconsin Madison
UVA
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Sinai
Dartmouth
Mayo
Michigan