WAMC/School List 3.9cGPA/3.91 sGPA / 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tracylawrenceEnthusiast97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a WAMC profile and questions below. For context, I am not yet applying (will apply as graduating undergrad, so I will be in that process during a first gap year), but I took my MCAT early and don't see a ton of flexibility in my senior year activities to add to any of these experiences, so I'd like some input on everything below, as I plan to apply next summer if able. Thanks so much.
  1. cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.91
  2. MCAT 512
  3. TX
  4. ORM
  5. Mid-tier school TX
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 440hr Total
    -190hrs providing ADL to disabled children in overnight camp as camp counselor/caregiver (hours over 2 camps and only includes hours of actual ADL/caregiver in the day)
    -250 hrs patient transporter in a regional hospital
  7. Research experience and productivity: N/A
    -do have some experience with qualitative research done in undergrad coursework on healthcare disparities but nothing for the app profile I don't think
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 35 hr total (25hrs family medicine rural, 10 dermatology clinic)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 1100hr Total
    -900hrs in habitat-for-humanity-type nonprofit work with construction service. Multiple leadership positions in this organization, currently in a top leadership role in the nonprofit.
    -100hrs in shelter food distribution work but short duration (only started this summer, may continue in diff shelter in my last 2 undergrad terms if time allows

I've been told that waiting to apply for the first time until after the gap year would be better, but I'd like to give it a shot after I graduate as described earlier. I understand these experiences will have limited effects in that 1st app cycle anyway, but feel free to suggest what I need help with. I'm applying to all TMDSAS schools and would like input on any other schools I could apply to in the South (DO or MD) in or closer to TX. My advisor has told me my clinical hours are not great hours-wise as providing ADL help at children's camps doesn't count as clinical in her opinion (probably valid ngl) and that my nonclinical volunteering hours are not as great as they are mostly not directly facing underserved populations (they are mostly in fact not directly facing underserved populations). Still, I really enjoyed both and they helped inform me about what I want to do with my medical career. Y'all let me know your thoughts on my application chances w the above experiences and any med school recs for non-TMDSAS schools given my profile as a TX resident. Thinking TX, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, etc. and preferably with a public health focus. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 440hr Total
-190hrs providing ADL to disabled children in overnight camp as camp counselor/caregiver (hours over 2 camps and only includes hours of actual ADL/caregiver in the day)
Agree I don't think this is clinical. Many more applicants categorize this as non clinical since you are not in a hospital and you are being a companion and not a "clinical provider" IMO.

I'll agree maybe 10 to 20 more shadowing hours would help. If your aren't applying until next cycle, you can find a hospital or clinic-based opportunity.

Agree I don't think this is clinical. Many more applicants categorize this as non clinical since you are not in a hospital and you are being a companion and not a "clinical provider" IMO.

I'll agree maybe 10 to 20 more shadowing hours would help. If your aren't applying until next cycle, you can find a hospital or clinic-based opportunity.
Fair enough, I appreciate the input! I'll probably just list it as nonclinical then as I've heard the same from others. I don't think I'll be able to get many more hours of clinical or shadowing before applying next summer though, or at least before the spring since I have a lot of obligations to the nonclinical volunteering this fall. I'll make it a priority in the spring and then in that first gap year while applying as well, in case I need to reapply.

Fair enough, I appreciate the input! I'll probably just list it as nonclinical then as I've heard the same from others. I don't think I'll be able to get many more hours of clinical or shadowing before applying next summer though, or at least before the spring since I have a lot of obligations to the nonclinical volunteering this fall. I'll make it a priority in the spring and then in that first gap year while applying as well, in case I need to reapply.
The more you can get these hours before applying, the better for a stronger application.

Reactions: 1 user