WAMC/School list - 3.97 517, ORM, Northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seirien

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like to apply to maybe ~30 schools or so and need help maybe trimming or maybe replacing schools.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: (sGPA: 3.96, cGPA 3.97)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 517 (131/126/129/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: East/Southeast Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: State; graduated 2021
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Hospital volunteer for 2 summers (250 hrs), Currently a gap year medical assistant/scribe at a private practice (1300 hrs before I apply this June)
  7. Research experience and productivity: Did bench chemistry/biochem/biology research for 4 years in college (1500 hours); completed an honors thesis, did 2 poster presentations, 1 national conference (virtually/live because of COVID), and Statewide presentation (recorded for online cause COVID); also won many awards school-related awards here including writing a school research grant and winning funds ($3000) for my thesis and for conference traveling before COVID
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 350 hours total (Internal medicine, pulm/crit care, nephrology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Prob my weak point here because everywhere I tried to look either didnt want me to interfered with what I wanted but 230 hours at a soup kitchen at a rural community before COVID hit; did have some other volunteer-related gigs with my clubs (see below)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Hobbies: Working out, meditating, baking/making very unique desserts type of stuff
Teaching: Was a gen chem lab TA my sophomore year (50 hrs), organic lab TA my junior year that including making my own lecture slides, assisting in running instrumentation, etc. (~200 hours), and first approved organic lecture for majors TA that helped run help sessions, office hours, write exams/grade, and help out during lectures (500 hours); was nominated by my students to win the undergrad TA award in the department
Leadership: **President since sophomore year of my major's club that meant to sell chemistry in a more fun way and open to all people that started off with only about 3 active members, helped create my own strong E-board and grew the club to include all majors, increased attendance and size of club at least 5x, increased funding by a few thousand dollars, applied to volunteer for events on campus running experiments during family weekends, alumni weekends, etc.
**Was chosen by the the chem department to be part of their equity and diversity committee as one of the 2 undergraduate representatives for 3 semesters that helped increase interaction within the department, collect stories for the magazine, and help run fun events for everyone to attend
  1. Relevant honors or awards
Won a lot of awards (~13) within the department by applying for them via student and faculty nomination. Most notable ones include phi beta kappa, my honors research grants/research funds mentioned before ($3000), chosen by my major's class to do a short speech to represent them during graduation, TA award nominated by students, and won the senior award where faculty and students nominate one student to have their name permanently put up on the plaque on the science building's wall for their contributions and character.
  1. Anything else not listed you think might be important
I am a reapplicant. Originally applied during the 2020-2021 cycle but MCAT was delayed and did not start churning out secondaries until late Aug - First week of Oct. I was told it would be on time but I now see how naive I was to think that... I did get plenty of feed back from schools mentioning 80% of the issue was being so late to the game and just fine tune my secondaries and PS a bit. I did get 2 interviews - 1 WL, 1 rej from earliest batch of schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School list:
  1. New York Medical College
  2. Drexel
  3. University of Rochester
  4. Boston University
  5. Harvard
  6. Icahn at Mount Sinai
  7. University of California Los Angeles
  8. Albert Einstein
  9. Jefferson - Sidney Kimmel
  10. UMass Medical School
  11. Columbia
  12. Yale
  13. Hofstra
  14. Tufts
  15. Case Western
  16. University of California San Francisco (did get secondary invite last time I applied if that makes any difference)
  17. Weill Cornell
  18. University of Pittsburgh
  19. University of Michigan
  20. University of Colorado
  21. Ohio State
  22. University of Chicago
  23. University of Virginia
  24. University of Cincinnati
  25. Quinnipiac
  26. Medical College of Wisconsin
  27. Emory
  28. Duke
  29. Stony Brook
  30. Commonwealth Geisinger
  31. Eastern Virginia
  32. George Washington
  33. University of Southern California
  34. Temple
  35. Seton Hall Hackensack Meridian
  36. Wake Forest
  37. Virginia Commonwealth

Remove Stony Brook and Geisinger since they admit few non residents with no connection to the state/region. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user