WAMC/School List - 3.94GPA, 510 MCAT, CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jern110

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.94
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 510 (128/125/128/129)
  3. State of residence: CA (LA - socal)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White/middle eastern
  5. Undergraduate institution: UCLA (T20), molecular, cell and developmental biology
  6. Clinical experience:
    1. 200 hours as a volunteer in family medicine clinic
    2. 150 hours dispatch/ER volunteer (in progress)
    3. 210 hours as a caregiver (paid)
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. 50 hours of discovery based research not sure if this counts as it was a class technically but everyone had their own gene and your results are inputted into a sea urchin genome database. Should I include this ?
    2. 70-80 hours as a research assistant volunteer to help with PCR, western blots etc.. at a fatty liver disease research lab
    3. 40 hours as a work study student for genotyping mice for skin cancer research (in progress and projected 100 hours by june) (Paid)
  8. Shadowing experience: 90 hours at a family medicine clinic
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: I just started volunteering as a low-income high school students science tutor, projected 50+ hours by June but I plan to continue this activity throughout my gap year.
  10. Employment:
    1. 200 hours as a tutoring center front desk
    2. Delivery driver (not sure if I will include this since I do not know the number of hours)
  11. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. I plan to work as a scribe throughout my gap year and potentially part time research assistant.
    2. Some hobbies are drawing, calligraphy, reading novels but nothing professional.
    3. member of 2 pre-med clubs
  12. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s and President’s lists
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Clinical volunteering and tutoring mainly with low-income and underserved communities.
    2. I come from a low-income background
School List so far:
  • All MD and DO in CA except stanford
  • MD: Albany, U toledo, vermont, miami, tufts, george washington, george town, Rush, rosalind franklin, NYMC, medical college of wisconsin, VCU, EVMS, wayne, quinnipiac, jefferson, temple, drexel, tulane, loyola, oakland U, Nova MD,
  • DO recommendations appreciated

Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have a lot of tutoring, but you need to diversify your community service. Even if you come from a low-income background, there are more ways to help others in distress: food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, housing assistance. Unless you are employed in the public school system such as being a substitute teacher or as part of CityYear/Americorps/Teach for America, you may not get as much credit as you would like.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a lot of tutoring, but you need to diversify your community service. Even if you come from a low-income background, there are more ways to help others in distress: food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, housing assistance. Unless you are employed in the public school system such as being a substitute teacher or as part of CityYear/Americorps/Teach for America, you may not get as much credit as you would like.
Hi,
Thank you for the response. Just to clarify, the 200 Hours in the tutoring center is not a a tutor, but as a front-desk. So I did not actually tutor. The only tutoring I have is the high school students one I mentioned and I just started that. I do get what you were saying though and appreciate the advice. I will start looking into more diverse community service opportunities, preferably online since I do not have a car at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Toledo admits few non residents with your MCAT of 510 and no connection to the Ohio region. Rush is looking for applicants with thousands of hours of clinical and non clinical hours. You could add these MD schools:
TCU
Wake Forest
Penn State
Hackensack

Hi,
Thank you for the response. Just to clarify, the 200 Hours in the tutoring center is not a a tutor, but as a front-desk. So I did not actually tutor. The only tutoring I have is the high school students one I mentioned and I just started that. I do get what you were saying though and appreciate the advice. I will start looking into more diverse community service opportunities, preferably online since I do not have a car at the moment.
Hands-on experience is valued much more. Online activities will likely not be the best use of your time, especially when you don’t have a lot of hours dedicated to ECs to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user
Hands-on experience is valued much more. Online activities will likely not be the best use of your time, especially when you don’t have a lot of hours dedicated to ECs to begin with.
Hi,
Thank you for the response. This might be a commonly asked question but does it look bad if I start something 3 months before applying? do they look down on it as me just checking a box ?

I will try to find in-person opportunities. Thank you for your advice!

Hi,
Thank you for the response. This might be a commonly asked question but does it look bad if I start something 3 months before applying? do they look down on it as me just checking a box ?

I will try to find in-person opportunities. Thank you for your advice!
It is not ideal but is better than not having it at all. If you can dedicate more time to it so that you hit close to 100 hours, that would help.

For DO, I suggest:

Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
DMU
PCOM
Marian

It is not ideal but is better than not having it at all. If you can dedicate more time to it so that you hit close to 100 hours, that would help.

For DO, I suggest:

Touro CA
Western
Touro NV
DMU
PCOM
Marian
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try my best to get close to 100 hours!