WAMC (Preparing for reapplication)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed_Desperate

Reaction score
Deleting and will update when I have something positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the nature of your non clinical volunteering ? You applied to several state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state.

Reactions: 1 users
It is a non profit that raised 10k+ funds for cancer research. Conducted different events for fund raising and during covid time mainly online tutoring. Thank you for the input on school list and can you please help which all to remove and maybe suggest few more to add? Is it late to add at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were all your nonclinical volunteering hours in the form of fundraising? Any involving face to face work with underrepresented demographics?

For the research powerhouses, you’d need more research hours.

Reactions: 1 user
They were mainly fundraising events only to help few underrepresented in our community. I was hoping research hours good for an applicant who was Junior at time of applying. I understand comparing to all the non-trads the hours are nothing. Any suggestion on how to improve if reapplying next year?

It is a non profit that raised 10k+ funds for cancer research. Conducted different events for fund raising and during covid time mainly online tutoring. Thank you for the input on school list and can you please help which all to remove and maybe suggest few more to add? Is it late to add at this point?
Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews. You could add these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Hofstra
Rochester
Temple
Western Michigan
New York Medical College

Reactions: 2 users
They were mainly fundraising events only to help few underrepresented in our community. I was hoping research hours good for an applicant who was Junior at time of applying. I understand comparing to all the non-trads the hours are nothing. Any suggestion on how to improve if reapplying next year?

They will probably be counted as leadership hours.

I highly recommend finding volunteer work where you work directly with disadvantaged communities in case you have to reapply next year. You’ll need at least 150 hours.

NIH Postbaccalaureate has a website where you can apply for 1-2 year research positions.

I also suggest looking at lab websites for professors at medical schools that internet you for similar opportunities.

SDN family, I updated my WAMC for a reapplication. Please help on school list and anything else I am missing. Process wasn't easy for this current cycle and hoping I can do better for the next one. Any help is appreciated.

You could still receive an interview invite in the next month. Your EC hours seem fine and you added non clinical volunteering hours. You could include your high schools clinical hours since they were at the same institution. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have over a 90% chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools if you reapply:
U Washington
Washington State
Mayo
TCU-UNT
Tulane
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Case Western
Cincinnati
Oakland Beaumont
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Northwestern
St. Louis
Creighton
Rochester
You could add these schools:
Belmont
NOVA MD
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, American University, Roseman, Methodist)

Reactions: 1 user
You could still receive an interview invite in the next month. Your EC hours seem fine and you added non clinical volunteering hours. You could include your high schools clinical hours since they were at the same institution. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have over a 90% chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools if you reapply:
U Washington
Washington State
Mayo
TCU-UNT
Tulane
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Case Western
Cincinnati
Oakland Beaumont
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Northwestern
St. Louis
Creighton
Rochester
You could add these schools:
Belmont
NOVA MD
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, American University, Roseman, Methodist)
You got no II's? When did you submit again?

Certainly on the GPA/MCAT metrics, you should have gotten some attention with the home team (UW). Not sure you have enough community service to get WSU's attention though I would hope they would give you a shot being in-state to fill the many seats they have. Instead you got rejected at both, which is remarkably an odd sign that you have something(s) below par compared to other applicants.

What did you say was your mission fit? Why did you pick the schools that you did? All writing and LORs should be reviewed and revised. Submit early (AMCAS no later than July 4).

Fundraising and tutoring do not move the needle on service orientation. Activities such as food distribution, housing rehabilitation, shelter volunteering, transportation assistance, or job/tax preparation do. Many of your activities overall should show your comfort and passion to work with underserved populations unlike yourself or your own community.

Thank You, @Mr.Smile12 ! Learning from mistakes and trying to figure out where it all went wrong. I am guessing lack of non-clinical, leadership hours, school list and failed to stand out in writing. August 8 was the last secondary submission, or everything turned in within 2 weeks. Disappointed that state schools rejected and now trying to come up with an application and school list to help me reach my dream. Definitely some red flag and I just hope it was my writing and limited hours, which I can improve for the next cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users