WAMC: ORM F, cGPA 3.82 & sGPA 3.59, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anttaz2000

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.82, sGPA: 3.59
  2. 508 (126/126/127/129)
  3. PA (underserved county)
  4. White
  5. PSU (we are!)
  6. 1,500 paid hours as a nursing assistant in an assisted living facility over a 2.5 year time period (summer & winter breaks). I also have 75 volunteer hours in our campus clinic taking the height, weight, vitals and history of students that came in for appointments.
  7. Six weeks of undergraduate research in biochemistry and molecular biology working with vibrio phages which led to a publication in GenBank. Since graduating in May I’ve been working full time in clinical research as a research associate in Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine. My job is about 1/2 working with patients and 1/2 doing data entry/ regulatory things.
  8. 16 hours shadowing in family medicine. Also did some shadowing while volunteering in the clinic at school- just watching a couple of women’s health appointments because I’m interested in this specialty. I wrote in my app about seeing a nexplanon insertion. I also have shadowed at my current job in the OR and saw a mastectomy and other fun anesthesiology things like nerve blocks but this isn’t in my app since I submitted before starting my job.
  9. Worked as a volunteer peer health educator and talked to peers about their nutrition, excercise, sleep habits and sexual health. I have great stories from this I used in my app and had 140 hours from this. I was a coordinator for one of our programs and did a lot of health promotion through social media. I also volunteered with THON to raise money for pediatric cancer (~130 hours).
  10. I wrote a little blurb about gardening because I live in a rural area and this is one of my hobbies
  11. Dean’s list every single semester & graduated Cum Laude. Not sure if this is relevant but I am proud of it :)
  12. I received two MD interviews at the end of July & one DO thus far. MD Interviews in early October and I’m nervous.
  13. Here are the schools I applied to:
Case Western Reserve
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Geisinger
Lewis Katz (Temple)
Marshall
Medical college of Wisconsin
New York medical college
NEOMED
Ohio State
Penn State
Robert Larner (Vermont)
Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)
University of Cincinnati
University of Iowa
University of Louisville
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
Virginia commonwealth university SOM
Wake forest
West Virginia University
LECOM (Erie & Bradenton)
PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should receive more interviews. However, some of the schools you applied to are state public schools that admit few non residents with your MCAT Of 508 and no connection to the state. You could add more schools this week and I suggest these:
Hackensack
Oakland Beaumont
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Albany
Quinnipiac
For DO you could add WVSOM, NYITCOM and Touro-NY.

Reactions: 1 user
What community service have you done where you meet people in the community who are in need that are not like yourself? You have a lot of activities that involve your peers (peer health educator, THON fundraising).