WAMC/Non-traditional w/ 3.97 second-bachelor's GPA, 2.82 cGPA. Afraid of getting screened out before secondaries. 515-520 on AAMC FLs, taking in May.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spock2429

Reaction score
5 years ago, I started following Goro's guide to reinvention. Well, I'm here now.

I am a non-traditional student that started his first bachelor’s degree way back in 2011 and graduated nearly 8 years ago. I graduated with a non-science degree and wasn’t even thinking of medicine back then. Ended up with a 2.10 cGPA (plenty of Fs, Ds, Cs, and Ws). After graduating, I went into a career in IT for several years before some major life events made me consider medicine instead.

In 2021, I started a second degree, this time a BS in Biology at a local state school. Maintained a 3.97 over the last 80 hours, only earning one B. Unfortunately, my cGPA is still below 3.0 and my sGPA is still relatively low because many of the Fs I got during my first degree were in BCPM classes (Calculus, gen chem). Any Fs are from 10+ years ago.

• Second bachelor’s 3.97 (around 80 hours of just science)
  • MCAT: TBD but AAMC FLs are 515+ so far. Taking the real thing in May.
  • AMCAS cGPA 2.82, sGPA 3.07 (That first transcript kills these stats)
  • Texas resident
  • Hispanic/Latino - fluent spanish speaker and have used this in my clinical volunteering
  • Public state university graduate
  • 150 hours clinical volunteer experience in a free clinic, lots of patient interaction translating (spanish) for physicians, taking vitals, etc
  • 1200+ hours of research, two posters, no pubs yet
  • 60 hours shadowing. ID and Ortho represented.
  • 60 hours non-clinical volunteering
  • 6 strong rec letters, including 2 PIs, 2 science faculty, 1 MD, and 1 director of the clinic I volunteer at.

School list:

I'm applying to all TMDSAS MD schools plus (maybe?) the following private OOS schools:
  • Nova (MD)
  • University of Miami
  • CMS at Rosalind Franklin
  • Rush
  • Tufts
  • Cal Northstate
  • Loma Linda
  • California university of science and medicine
  • Wake Forest
  • Dartmouth
  • Cooper Rowan
  • Hackensack
  • Albany Medical College
  • Jacobs
  • NYMC
  • Drexel
  • Geisinger
  • GWU
  • MCOW
  • Tulane
  • Oakland University Beaumont
  • Loyola
  • Lewis Katz
  • Geisinger Commonwealth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get a retroactive withdrawal of your earlier coursework?

Focus on your MCAT. If you have a solid score, your file will be reviewed fairly.
I have not attempted to retroactively withdraw, but from what I've heard my old school does not do academic withdrawals.