WAMC MD/PhD URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DizzySpells

Reaction score
Based on the following, what are my chances looking like for Top 20 MD/PHD programs

cumulative GPA: 3.66
science GPA: 3.72
MCAT: N/A- I am scheduled to take it in April (Shooting for 519+)
African-American Male
State of residence: VA
Extensive amount of extracurricular and leadership activities
~3000: 3 posters (Awarded 2nd for ChemE poster), 2 abstracts, and 1 co-author publication (PRS journal),
~2000 Non-clinical Volunteering
~20 Shadowing Hours; currently employed as a scribe in Pulmonology
LOR: HMS mentor; MD/PhD and co-author on publication, MSTP director and PI from summer internship at UMich, Home institution PI, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply and see homie. If people believe in you (your LORs), admissions will take note. Your experiences, which are incredible, will allow you to become more than just a number in this process. If you care about the "top-20" then apply to all of them and then some so you don't have regrets. You just want an option, not options. I didn't see enough URMs on the MD/PhD trail. I didn't have your GPA and certainly not a 514 and we out here.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be competitive with a good research essay and an MCAT of 515 or above. A strong letter from the MSTP director will carry a lot of weight; if he says he wants you in his program, the rest of us will want to interview you. Of 672 MD-PhD matriculants last year, only 23 were African American males, so there will be a lot of interest in your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You should be competitive with a good research essay and an MCAT of 515 or above. A strong letter from the MSTP director will carry a lot of weight; if he says he wants you in his program, the rest of us will want to interview you. Of 672 MD-PhD matriculants last year, only 23 were African American males, so there will be a lot of interest in your application.

Regarding the supplemental essays for the MD/PhD application, I am aware that the research essay is geared towards evaluating an applicant's ability to intellectually discuss the overarching goal of their research and the potential implications in medicine/science; however, what are adcoms looking for particularly that differentiates between a good and bad essay.

Additionally, Would I include my personal research interests in the research essay or would that go into why I decided to pursue a MD/Phd? (Majority of my research experiences has been in labs that are related to my own research interests or where I could gain skills for applications within the field.)