WAMC- MD/DO List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Health2345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I will be graduating from the University of Pittsburgh here in the winter a semester early. So needless to say I am excited at some off time and some time to do other things besides school. I will be graduating with a 3.55 sgpa and a 3.53cgpa. Took some of those "throwaway" classes that actually were not throwaway classes that is why the sgpa>cgpa. The worst grade I have received is a B- so no C's or anything like that.
My MCAT score was a 510- 84th%
128- 3 sections, averaged out to around 88th percentile
126- Cars, 80th percentile

Unfortunately CARS did not go so swell, but thats life. I think I did okay on all of the other sections. I am looking to see about two things right now. 1) Help refining my list of schools 2) Seeing if I should take a couple classes in my off-year or do some other things

1) Lets start with schools. Here is my list of DO/MD schools and I wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions on what to erase or add. I'm okay with the amount of MD and DO schools on the list but if there is a real big one I somehow missed I would like the input. I am a PA resident.

MD
  1. Georgetown
  2. Wake Forest
  3. NYMC
  4. Drexel
  5. Tulane
  6. Jefferson (reach)
  7. Temple
  8. George Washington
  9. Chicago Medical School @ Rosalind Franklin
  10. OUWB
  11. Loyola
  12. WVU
  13. Michigan State

DO
  1. PCOM-PA
  2. PCOM-GA
  3. LECOM
  4. AZCOM-Western
  5. Michigan State
  6. VCOM-VA
  7. Campbell
  8. UNECOM
  9. WVCOM
  10. Western University of Health Sciences
  11. KCUMB
  12. TCOM (I know out of state is low but it looks so nice!)

2) My plan is to gain a lot of actual experience in the world. As of now I've worked half of the semesters I have attended college and I have enjoyed the interactions I have had, but I can't say I have had to many patient contact hours. This is a big reason I wanted some time off. Im currently a medical assistant within the UPMC health network at an ortho's office and its been very rewarding. I have definitely been gaining some awesome experiences and the doctors are helpful in sharing knowledge when they're not to busy. I also plan on going a medical mission trip or two to Costa Rica for 2 weeks to a month and Haiti for a week or two. I enjoy traveling to other areas and providing whatever I can so this is a big one on my list I really dont want to take off. However, I know the gpa's are fairly low for MD and average for DO so I was considering taking a class or two each semester I will be off, around 5-6 classes in total. I was wondering if this would even make a difference or if it would just be a supplemental small detail that doesnt need to happen so I can focus more on patient contact. I was going to make this two posts but it all goes into the WAMC umbrella since this plays a huge role in my application.

In advance thank you for your time!!

Members don't see this ad.