This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurefemmedr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so i recently graduated from a public ivy in VA and these are my stats:
non-science major and minor, ORM
cGPA 3.55
sGPA ~3.2 but inflated just cause I took physics in the summer at an "easier" 4 year institution
a lot of nonclinical hours through volunteering but I've been inactive for about a year so not sure how that looks
not a lot of clinical and shadowing hours
still in the process of studying for the mcat, don't plan on taking it til january

I was wondering if my stats would make me a better candidate for med school by taking a postbac like EVMS' medical master's program? I figured i would just beef up my clinical/shadowing hours by scribing but i talked with the admissions office, and they suggested that I do apply for their postbac program. As much as I would like to apply for such a program, I'm not really looking to spend a whole lot of money during my gap year. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Anericorps would make your application stand out a lot. It’s a one year commitment, where you volunteer your services anywhere in the U.S. Mission heavy schools like Tulane are particularly fond of Americorps grads. Just make sure your MCAT is a 505+

Anericorps would make your application stand out a lot. It’s a one year commitment, where you volunteer your services anywhere in the U.S. Mission heavy schools like Tulane are particularly fond of Americorps grads. Just make sure your MCAT is a 505+
Thanks for the response, MedicineN'Jazz! I was actually hoping to apply for instate med schools (Virginia) to get the IS tuition. I've also been considering AmeriCorps for a while because I think they have a wonderful mission, but I think I need more clinical hours than nonclinical so that's why I backed out of doing it.

I was wondering what your opinion is on doing a postbac program? thanks!

Hey everyone, so i recently graduated from a public ivy in VA and these are my stats:
non-science major and minor, ORM
cGPA 3.55
sGPA ~3.2 but inflated just cause I took physics in the summer at an "easier" 4 year institution
a lot of nonclinical hours through volunteering but I've been inactive for about a year so not sure how that looks
not a lot of clinical and shadowing hours
still in the process of studying for the mcat, don't plan on taking it til january

I was wondering if my stats would make me a better candidate for med school by taking a postbac like EVMS' medical master's program? I figured i would just beef up my clinical/shadowing hours by scribing but i talked with the admissions office, and they suggested that I do apply for their postbac program. As much as I would like to apply for such a program, I'm not really looking to spend a whole lot of money during my gap year. Any suggestions?

In your case I would suggest doing a 1-year formal or DIY post-bacc. Your stats are low for being an ORM. While in the post-bacc work on you clinical volunteering as well as shadowing. Shadowing is not difficult to find, I shadowed 5 different specialties (published a paper with one of the physicians) just by emailing physicians near me and asking if they had time in their schedule to show me what they do. If a physician didn't respond after 3 days I'd email a different one. Rinse and repeat until you find one that baits.

Whatever program you are considering, make sure that the courses you take qualify as post-bacc when you apply to medical school and not graduate courses. You can find this out usually through the programs website. If it does not say it specifically email the school and ask.

As per the most recent report from the AAMC, when considering who to invite to interview, postbacc coursework falls under the "Highest Importance" rating, while graduate or professional program falls under the "Lowest Importance" rating.
Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/mcatguide.pdf

There are very few exceptions one being a Special Masters Program, which I do not believe is completely necessary in your case.

Reactions: 1 user