WAMC Iowa State and University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkaesoph

Reaction score
Got my first denial from Purdue and I’m freaking out...

stats
cGPA: 3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.78
science/math(for iowa): 3.3

GRE:30

roughly 1,000 hours vet experience working for mixed animal/food animal vet and working at an animal disease research and diagnostic laboratory in clinical pathology

over 1,000 animal experience through my family farm/ranch and 4-h (showed cattle)

college activities:
Adopt-a-grandparent club
Resident hall association communications coordinator
Peer mentor

highschool:
President of FCCLA, FFA, was in multiple sports, drama clubs, yearbook, class president multiple years, and held office in national honor society

*****this is a very brief and quick run down of my past experiences

Members don't see this ad.

Got my first denial from Purdue and I’m freaking out...

stats
cGPA: 3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.78
science/math(for iowa): 3.3

GRE:30

roughly 1,000 hours vet experience working for mixed animal/food animal vet and working at an animal disease research and diagnostic laboratory in clinical pathology

over 1,000 animal experience through my family farm/ranch and 4-h (showed cattle)

college activities:
Adopt-a-grandparent club
Resident hall association communications coordinator
Peer mentor

highschool:
President of FCCLA, FFA, was in multiple sports, drama clubs, yearbook, class president multiple years, and held office in national honor society

*****this is a very brief and quick run down of my past experiences
It depends on Iowa with your science GPA. The cut off for science math last year was 3.2, and with an increase in applications, the cut off could be higher (3.25 or 3.3)? Your last 45 is great and i know they look at that at Iowa. Your experiences are interesting and not “run of the mill” so that could help you. It may depend on your LORs and essays. If you feel you put out strong essays, it could be good news. Last year I had very bad essays that were generic (“my dog was euth’d and i realized i wanted to be a vet” and “i love animals” bad), but very strong GPA and diverse experiences and was waitlisted at Iowa St. (10 away from being called off). So it really just depends! I’m sorry that this may not be much help but unfortunately it is all a waiting game! Did you look on the ISU CVM supplemental application to make sure you are in committee review? Attached are the class profiles from the last 2 classes for reference!
90B0FFBE-B258-448F-9092-284D9E30AA1C.png
4D228AC1-4A91-47AC-9A8D-7ED6F7684273.png

Last edited:
Are you OOS or IS? I think that can make a bit of a difference. Your last 45 is great for Iowa! I think you have some really unique experiences that set you apart. I'm still waiting to hear back from ISU, so I can't give too much insight. I had a hard time after my first rejection too, but since then I've really tried to focus on what will make me a stronger applicant next round if I need to reapply. I know it's hard though! I'm right there with you.