WAMC after 2 rejections - Oregon (IS), Minnesota, Iowa; and help with my school list for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressy.depressy

Minnesota 2026!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first cycle applying, and I've already received rejections from Washington and Michigan. The other three schools I applied to are Oregon, which is my in-state, as well as Minnesota and Iowa. I've already received an interview invite from Oregon (for Jan 15). Waiting for Minnesota interview invites to come out in early January, and I believe Iowa decisions don't come out until mid-February. I'm getting a little nervous after the two rejections this week, and trying to figure out whether I stand a chance for this cycle. Would also love some help thinking about schools to apply to for next cycle if I don't get in this year. Thanks!

Cumulative GPA: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.90 (Iowa calculated 3.84)
Last 45: 3.92

Will graduate with a BS in economics in Spring 2022.

GRE: N/A

Veterinary Experience:
1380 hours paid assistant (FT) at small animal/exotics GP (LOR from clinic owner)
60 hours small animal emergency
50 hours spay/neuter clinic associated with shelter
120 hours small animal GP
102 hours at small animal clinic providing free veterinary care to pets of people experiencing homelessness (current experience, probably up to 150+ hours now - volunteering one day/week)
One day shadowing mixed animal mobile practitioner
Two days shadowing small animal rehab

Animal Experience:
312 hours adoption counselor at local shelter (LOR from supervisor)

Research Experience: N/A

Awards: Dean's List 1x, President's List 2x

Extracurriculars:
Varsity softball in high school (listed because I was team captain senior year)
420 hours volunteering at LGBTQ center designing and facilitating cultural competency trainings for school teachers and staff re how to support queer and trans students in schools (LOR from supervisor)

Employment:
Sales associate at sporting goods store in high school

My concerns: Besides my year of full-time work as an assistant, my other veterinary experiences are rather low hours. I'm worried this is a red flag - maybe it looks sketchy, or like I can't hold a job? I'm also concerned that my academic LOR was not strong - I asked my teacher from an Ethics in Healthcare class I took early in my college career. All of my science pre-reqs were taken online, mostly asynchronously, during COVID so I didn't have a chance to really form good relationships with these professors. Finally, I'm honestly just kind of shaken up by the two rejections this week and hoping for some suggestions of schools to apply to that heavily weight GPA. I don't think I should have applied to Michigan, as they don't consider your GPA beyond the initial academic review, and my GPA is probably the strongest part of my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides my year of full-time work as an assistant, my other veterinary experiences are rather low hours. I'm worried this is a red flag - maybe it looks sketchy, or like I can't hold a job?
I highly doubt schools would view this as sketch or flakey. Many students have to get hours in short bursts as break jobs or once a week shadowing deals. Your experience hours aren't bad if you spin them right in their descriptions. It wouldn't hurt at all to get more varied experience however.
Finally, I'm honestly just kind of shaken up by the two rejections this week and hoping for some suggestions of schools to apply to that heavily weight GPA.
Sorry for this being put of order!! You're average or above average statistically and have a very good shot at Oregon. You're much higher than their academic averages. 40 positions for around 120 in state applicants gives you about 1/3 odds at the get go and every school over accepts seats at least a little bit. So you definitely still are in the game. But I totally get your trepidation

As far as new schools to consider next year, consider: Washington (after you add hours; but they do reward good GPAs too), UC Davis, CSU (expensive :( ), Oregon, TAMU (maybe), Georgia (maybe), LSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Perdue, Iowa, Cornell, Penn. The other schools are likely still good options tbh.
I'm also concerned that my academic LOR was not strong - I asked my teacher from an Ethics in Healthcare class I took early in my college career. All of my science pre-reqs were taken online, mostly asynchronously, during COVID so I didn't have a chance to really form good relationships with these professors.
This could be a fair self- evaluation and def contact Washington and Michigan for file reviews. If they'll schedule now, do it. You can always email them to cancel if you're accepted elsewhere. Also be sure to ask about essays and other stuff like that!

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt schools would view this as sketch or flakey. Many students have to get hours in short bursts as break jobs or once a week shadowing deals. Your experience hours aren't bad if you spin them right in their descriptions. It wouldn't hurt at all to get more varied experience however.

Sorry for this being put of order!! You're average or above average statistically and have a very good shot at Oregon. You're much higher than their academic averages. 40 positions for around 120 in state applicants gives you about 1/3 odds at the get go and every school over accepts seats at least a little bit. So you definitely still are in the game. But I totally get your trepidation

As far as new schools to consider next year, consider: Washington (after you add hours; but they do reward good GPAs too), UC Davis, CSU (expensive :( ), Oregon, TAMU (maybe), Georgia (maybe), LSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Perdue, Iowa, Cornell, Penn. The other schools are likely still good options tbh.

This could be a fair self- evaluation and def contact Washington and Michigan for file reviews. If they'll schedule now, do it. You can always email them to cancel if you're accepted elsewhere. Also be sure to ask about essays and other stuff like that!
Thank you for the detailed response! I'm still fairly hopeful about Oregon but GOSH I'm anxious! I don't think Washington or Michigan do file reviews, unfortunately. It's definitely been weird just getting rejected without an opportunity to get any feedback, but apparently WSU had an insane (2100+) amount of applicants this year and I'm sure MSU was similar, so I get that they just don't have time.

I am planning on getting more varied experience next year if I'm not accepted. I will be finished with undergrad so at that point I will have more schedule flexibility, which will open up my options. I would love to try to get into a neuro practice somewhere, or some sort of lab animal experience (I live in Portland, so I have OHSU and their primate lab to consider).

If you don't mind a couple questions: Do you think schools like Davis and LSU are worth taking the GRE for? And if you already know you have an interest in specializing, do you think attending a school that does not have the service you're interested in matters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think schools like Davis and LSU are worth taking the GRE for?
The real question: is taking the GRE worth getting into vet school for?
And if you already know you have an interest in specializing, do you think attending a school that does not have the service you're interested in matters
No. As an example, over half of vet schools do not have a boarded radiologist on staff. That doesn't prevent students from those schools from gaining residencies. Making connections within the field is the main way of getting into that specialty. Does having it at the school make it easier? Maybe. But it's certainly not impossible. Conferences, externships over breaks are how you can make up for it

Reactions: 1 user
If you were rejected, it means you don’t stand out. Find out how to represent yourself better on paper. That means relating your life experiences to why vet med fits and how you will survive this profession. Look inside to find a better reason you wish to pursue this field.

You do have your in-state interview coming up, so be confident in yourself. That's all you can control.

The only other thing I would want to know is what your references think about your chances. Do you have confidence that the veterinarians that wrote your reference letters really championed you as a future professional?