WAMC? International Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derekshepherdMD

Reaction score
International applicant whos done their UG at a top uni in Canada, asking for help on WAMC? Which schools you think I can apply to?
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS:
    1. cGPA - 3.78
    2. sGPA - 3.8
    3. big upward trend, 3.4 --> 3.84 --> 3.96 --> 4.0
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown - 516.
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) - Canadian PR.
  4. Undergraduate institution or category - UBC
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) - 710 hours clinical volunteer hours
  6. Research experience and productivity - 4 years doing research >600 hours, 1 publication as second author, another under review, abstract.
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - 110 hours (abroad since canada says no to shadowing).
  8. Non-clinical volunteering - 450 non-clinical
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) - founder of an organization that mentors students (ongoing 2 years), intramural basketball, long term high school science and maths teacher (2+ years), orientation leader x2, content creator for 1st year students (3 years), physiology instructor, outreach director for an organization (2 years), doing a one-year masters of science
  10. Relevant honors or awards - deans list x4, 3 scholarships ($1500-2000 in value), graduation award (given to 4% of the graduating class), honors BSc
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important - created a podcast for an underrepresented community where I live where I sound edited and interviewed individuals, had over 1k reach with monthly listeners. Translator at a hospital, whenever medical translation is required (done 3-4 times).
Here are the schools I'm applying to:

Boston
Brown
Case Western
Colombia Vagelos
Colorado
Dartmouth
Duke
Georgetown
Howard
Icahn
Jefferson
Morehouse
Northwestern
NYMC
Pittsburgh
Pritzker
Stanford
Stony Brook
Tufts
Tulane
UC Davis
UCLA
SUNY upstate
Utah
Vanderbilt
Virginia
WCMC
Yale
Harvard

I'm applying to all the schools which have been shown to accept international students, pls lmk if i should remove any, or if my experience can make up for my low stats.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
516 is not a low score. The mean MCAT for a successful international is 513.4. The gpa is 3.77. https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-20.pdf
Are you of African descent? If not, remove the HBCU's ( Howard and Morehouse).
Remove Davis.
Remove the places that matriculated less than 3 internationals (e.g. Utah, Colorado...). They are most likely internal candidates.
Is that your only MCAT? Even if schools are vague about how they evaluate multiple scores, a low score is still visible and part of the decision to interview or accept.
Multiple attempts are viewed differently in the US. If you have other, lower scores, your real score is going to be seen as somewhat less than 516.

Last edited: