WAMC? high GPA + DAT, reaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veggiegorl

Reaction score
Date of submission: early- to mid-June
Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.85
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.82
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA / 20 PAT / 24 QR / 25 GC / 27 OC / 20 BIO / 28 RC
State of Residence: Ohio

Undergrad Attended: Ohio State (Columbus)
Major: Biology
Minor: Physical Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology (projected), Architectural Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~80 general dentist, ~30 general dentist, ~20 oral surgeon, 5 orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: tutoring for underprivileged youth, peer mentoring genchem + ochem students, mentoring 1st year honors, mentoring new mems in my sorority, working at food pantry
Employment: 1300 in food service, 100ish dental front desk
Research: about 80 in dental anthropology (conducting own project to contribute to larger study)
Other Extracurriculars: Academic Chair of my sorority, taught my own general chemistry lab section, Vice President of nonprofit tutoring org, on exec with VAW,
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list every semester, scholarships
LOR type and strength: genchem professor, research advisor/bioanthro professor, general dentist that I've shadowed + worked for, studio architecture prof
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: didn't really do anything sophomore year but it was COVID; I am really passionate about equal opportunity + a big part of that is educational disparity. I grew up in a rural area and was underprepared for college so it really hits home to me and that's why most of my volunteer work is just whatever I could do to try to bridge the gap. I talked about that in some of my apps.

I submitted my applications before taking the DAT because I wanted to submit early. Well, I took my DAT a week ago and my score was a lot higher than I had expected (I tend to underestimate myself), so now I'm deciding whether I want to continue with supplemental fees and apps. I know my top 10 schools, but I feel like they are all reaching in some way so I'm nervous to move forward with just those 10. I don't want to screw myself over and not get in anywhere. I know 10 is a lot, but they're all really difficult schools to get into. WAMC of getting in to 1 of my top 10?

1. UCLA
2. UCONN
3. Michigan
4. Harvard
5. UCSF
6. UNC
7. Texas A&M
8. Texas Houston
9. Ohio State
10. Buffalo
11. UFlorida
12. LSU
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Alabama
16. UColorado
17. Meharry

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: early- to mid-June
Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.85
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.82
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA / 20 PAT / 24 QR / 25 GC / 27 OC / 20 BIO / 28 RC
State of Residence: Ohio

Undergrad Attended: Ohio State (Columbus)
Major: Biology
Minor: Physical Anthropology, Cultural Anthropology (projected), Architectural Studies
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~80 general dentist, ~30 general dentist, ~20 oral surgeon, 5 orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: tutoring for underprivileged youth, peer mentoring genchem + ochem students, mentoring 1st year honors, mentoring new mems in my sorority, working at food pantry
Employment: 1300 in food service, 100ish dental front desk
Research: about 80 in dental anthropology (conducting own project to contribute to larger study)
Other Extracurriculars: Academic Chair of my sorority, taught my own general chemistry lab section, Vice President of nonprofit tutoring org, on exec with VAW,
Relevant Honors or Awards: dean's list every semester, scholarships
LOR type and strength: genchem professor, research advisor/bioanthro professor, general dentist that I've shadowed + worked for, studio architecture prof
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: didn't really do anything sophomore year but it was COVID; I am really passionate about equal opportunity + a big part of that is educational disparity. I grew up in a rural area and was underprepared for college so it really hits home to me and that's why most of my volunteer work is just whatever I could do to try to bridge the gap. I talked about that in some of my apps.

I submitted my applications before taking the DAT because I wanted to submit early. Well, I took my DAT a week ago and my score was a lot higher than I had expected (I tend to underestimate myself), so now I'm deciding whether I want to continue with supplemental fees and apps. I know my top 10 schools, but I feel like they are all reaching in some way so I'm nervous to move forward with just those 10. I don't want to screw myself over and not get in anywhere. I know 10 is a lot, but they're all really difficult schools to get into. WAMC of getting in to 1 of my top 10?

1. UCLA
2. UCONN
3. Michigan
4. Harvard
5. UCSF
6. UNC
7. Texas A&M
8. Texas Houston
9. Ohio State
10. Buffalo
11. UFlorida
12. LSU
13. Maryland
14. Rutgers
15. Alabama
16. UColorado
17. Meharry
congrats on the DAT scores!
The Ohio State University should be #1
why apply to meharry as a non-minority?
6, 7, 8, 11 are extremely difficult for OOS
your stats are close to good enough, so it's not impossible
if you apply to the to 10, you really have only one safety school- buffalo
and 2 in-range- UConn and OSU
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at OSU D School?

Reactions: 2 users
congrats on the DAT scores!
The Ohio State University should be #1
why apply to meharry as a non-minority?
6, 7, 8, 11 are extremely difficult for OOS
your stats are close to good enough, so it's not impossible
if you apply to the to 10, you really have only one safety school- buffalo
and 2 in-range- UConn and OSU
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at OSU D School?
I went to pre-dental day at OSU; I like Ohio State but safety is really important to me. I've been robbed five times in my three years as a student, twice involving possible firearms. I've read that UCONN is really good for safety, so that's why they are pretty high and OSU is relatively low. I applied to Meharry because someone told me I should as a safety, I really don't know much about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd check out the two Kentucky schools and CWRU; they all seem to have some interest getting Ohio applicants.
I'm not really looking to apply to more schools; I have already applied to all of these and now am trying to save money with supplementals now that my odds are better than I previously thought. Any advice?

Reactions: 1 user