WAMC High DAT Okay GPA [‘23-‘24]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thankyouwell

Reaction score
I’m confident I will get in somewhere, I just want to know my chances for the more selective schools on my list.

Date of Submission: June 1, 2023

GPA: 3.60
sGPA: 3.50
BCP GPA: 3.50

DAT: 27 AA, TS 25 (PAT 22, QR 29, RC 30, BIO 26, GC 27, OC 24)

Residence: California
Undergrad: UC Davis

Major: Biology
upward trend (3.3 -> 3.8) and heavy course load the last 2 years (avg 18 units per qtr), graduated early

Minority?: no
Reapplicant?: no
Nontraditional?: no

Shadowing: ~30 hrs general dentist, ~100 hrs GPR program for underserved populations at a local dental school. Closer to ~200 hours there if high school is included.

Volunteer: by the time I apply, ~50 hrs food bank, ~75 hours for a museum, ~20 hours creating art for a charity fundraiser (most of my hours will be from Jan-June 2023)

Employment:

- Worked as a temp dental assistant for ~50 hrs
- Summer job in the tourism industry
- Worked at a golf course summer before freshman year

Research: ~60 hrs non-dental research, poster but no publications

Extracurriculars: pre-dental club member all 4 years, Peer Health Educator, studied abroad

Leadership: officer in my sorority for 3 years, student ambassador for my university

Awards: Leadership Award, Dean’s List a few quarters in the later part of undergrad

Manual Dexterity: 10 years of a niche art hobby involving extremely fine motor skills that helped me become ambidextrous.

LORs:
- One from a dentist at the dental school I shadowed at
- I’ll have three science professors to choose from. Two of the three also work in the healthcare field.
- The other general dentist I shadowed might be hit or miss, so I’m not sure if I want to risk it.

Misc: 2 Cs freshman year, an F in a 1-unit class, retook the class and did fine, negligible effect on my GPA

SCHOOL LIST (so far)
  • UCLA
  • UCSF
  • UOP
  • Columbia
I’m leaning towards specializing and would like a pass/fail program.

I’m not worried about my DAT, but my GPA is on the lower side compared to the averages of schools on my list. Is the rest of my application strong enough to compensate? Not sure how much slack my GPA will get considering my test scores.

I’m also wondering what I can work on between now and June to improve my chances. So far I’ve been earning more volunteer hours and shadowing. What should I be doing to make the most out of my time shadowing at the dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: